Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I screwed up ordering my strut assemblies and accidentally got the 4WD instead of 2WD version. They are KYB SR4202 (should've ordered 4201). Nobody seems to stock the 2WD version and there doesn't seem to be many pre-assembled versions that aren't adjustable and very expensive.

Per KYB the only difference in the two assemblies is the spring to account for heavier components in the 4WD, so I'm thinking to just get some new springs and having a shop swap them out for me.

But I was wondering - what is the negative of just running with the 4WD springs? They have a higher spring rate, so the ride would be stiffer. Maybe some suspension components would wear faster? KYB said it will void warranty, but as I have nearly 240k miles on an '08 that's not my concern. And really if I get a few more years out of the truck I'll be happy.

So, has anyone ever put 4WD springs in their 2WD or have any thoughts on the subject?

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
I doubt you'll even notice the difference. Most of the time, the only difference between 2wd and 4wd springs is a P/N and a slight change in the free length. The spring rate is most likely exactly the same but the spring will be slightly longer (like 1/8-1/4"). This length adds a tiny bit more preload to keep the ride height the same, compensating for the extra 300lbs or so between 2wd and 4wd.

Install them as is and go on your way.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I doubt you'll even notice the difference. Most of the time, the only difference between 2wd and 4wd springs is a P/N and a slight change in the free length. The spring rate is most likely exactly the same but the spring will be slightly longer (like 1/8-1/4"). This length adds a tiny bit more preload to keep the ride height the same, compensating for the extra 300lbs or so between 2wd and 4wd.

Install them as is and go on your way.
Thanks for the reply. The spring rates are different per KYB tech support, but they didn't tell me how much. My plan is to install the 4WD and if it doesn't cause an issue performing alignment, then I'll see how they feel over the next few weeks. If I don't like the stiffer ride I'll swap out the springs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts