Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why am I having problems getting my 2010 out of 4WD? I have no problem getting it into 4WD but when I try to turn the switch back to 2WD it will not move. Seems like it is more of a problem when the vehicle is cold. Seems to get better when the vehicle warms up. I did own a 1st generation Fronty where I had to mechanically move my gear shift to get it into 4WD then sometimes had to go into reverse for 10 to 15 feet before it would come out of 4WD but that was a given. I thought the 2WD/4WD switch on the 2nd generation Frontys was moe electrical than mechanical. When I bought the 2010 vehicle the dealer explained to me that I wouldn't have to do it the "old" way. Thanks for all your help.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Had a bit of the same situation this holiday season as I had to pop my truck into 4WD to get into some back roads to fish. Definately like Higgs B. says ... its plop the selector over, and let up on the gas.

d-mo

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
i kind of liked the old manual 4wd switching with a leaver in the truck better than this electronic shifting, just one more thing that you don't know is going to work when you need it and like you said sometimes the system doesn't seem like it wants to come out and i'm fairly sure this has happened to me even when doing as stated of letting off the gas. i remember one time last year my road wasn't clear but the main road i was pulling on to for the most part was, so to get out into traffic i needed to put it into 4wd and once on the main road after i got up to speed (45-50) i let off the gas and hit the switch and nothing. i think i slowed down to just about 25 before it came out of 4wd. most the time its fine and works quick but seems like it can be a bit inconsistent at times. the push button 4wd on my buddies 06 chevy 1500 is lightning fast and really consistent in switching in and out of 4wd, i will say thats one thing that gm has me impressed with.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My problem is...I CANNOT move the selector switch over from 4WD to 2WD. The switch itself gets stuck in the 2WD position and I CANNOT move the selector knob back to the 4WD position.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
so like the switch itself wont move at all, are you sure you aren't pushing in on it. if you push it in when trying to move between 2hi and 4hi it wont move, you only push it in to go from 4hi to 4lo

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I know the drill and am sure that I am not pushing in on it before I turn it. I just called the dealer and explained that my problem is...I CANNOT move the selector switch over from 4WD to 2WD. The switch itself gets stuck in the 2WD position and I CANNOT move the selector knob back to the 4WD position. They will look at it this Saturday. Dealer said that switch is STRICTLY electrical and should move freely back and forth from 4WD to 2WD and vise versa. If if doesn't then there is something most likely wrong with the switch.

·
Registered
144 Posts
OP... you will still need to move 3 meters in the opposite direction after going back to 2wd to unlock the auto hubs. I'll only leave them locked if I plan on switching back to 4hi soon from 2hi... like on snowy roads that have some good lengths of pavement clear. sounds like the switch is too stiff on your truck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.