Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member here.

I picked up my new 2010 Frontier Crew Cab SE last Wednesday (Aug. 18th) and we had a huge hail storm in the south of Calgary, AB on Sunday afternoon. My truck is now peppered with hail damage, as well as my house.

I've already started the claim with my insurance company but it is going to cost me my deductible, obviously. Pretty upsetting to say the least.

I'll try to post some pictures later.

:(

·
Registered
369 Posts
dude that sux
While I was still in TX I got a few dents when mine was new, but nothing I couldn't live with.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
That's awful. I hope you get it all worked out with insurance.

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
hope the damage is not too bad. I've seen vehicles get totalled out due to hail damage.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Had a 1984 Celica long time ago that was totaled in a freak hailstorm in Orlando Florida. Worse part was that I was in it in the middle of a four lane highway. All traffic came to a stop and I was covering my head hoping the windows would not break. Cracked all the plastic, 2 windows and dented the car all over. Scared me nearly to death. But drove the car for another few months while I dealed with the insurance. Hope everything works out quickly!

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Terrible news. On the good side, hail damage seldom renders the vehicle unsafe. Except for possible glass damage, it's usually just cosmetic. You might want to accept an insurance settlement for the repairs and and then use the insurance money to help pay off the truck loan.
Keep the dimpled truck as-is as a conversation starter. On the plus side, you never have to worry about hail damage again. Worst part of new vehicle ownership is getting past the first ding.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Sometimes that kind of damage doesn't hit your deductible... like hitting a deer, it's covered 100%

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Hail is covered under your comprehensive or "other than collision" coverage and is subject to a deductable. Find a good PDR shop to do the work and noone will ever know it happened. Alot of PDR shops will waive your deductable if the estimate is enough. Good luck

·
Registered
269 Posts
A few years back my nephew was caught in a freak hail storm and peppered his truck as well. Dent master took every dent out. He says after getting the truck back he was amazed not to find any signs of damage at all. Not sure how much it cost him. Hope things work out for you.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone.

My insurance company has a preferred PDR shop that they'll set an estimate appointment with. We've had a few freak hail storms in this area over the summer so most of the body shops are booking into March 2011. The insurance company says I should be able to get it repaired in a few weeks if I use the PDR shop.

We actually have damage to our house as well and because it's one one claim, we just pay the one deductible for both.

On the bright side, I picked up my OEM tonneau cover today. Looks pretty sharp.

·
Registered
24 Posts
As soon as I read the thread title I wondered if you were from Calgary...

I drove through the aftermath on Sunday on my way home from Fernie. Looks like the south got hammered pretty hard! My area, Sunnyside, got pummeled in July pretty bad. $4,700 to my room mates truck and totaled my other room mates car. Luckily we were all in my truck driving through Kamloops at the time of that particular storm...

Anyways, sorry to hear about your damage! Walking to work in the morning I see nothing but golf ball vehicles everywhere. It's been a crazy summer!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I had hail damage when my truck was 2 weeks old, one hell of a summer. The bad thing is, where I park, my neighbors have Chevy trucks right beside my Frontier. My truck was the only one with damage. Nissan needs to go to a little heavier gauge of sheet metal.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So here's the update.....

After bringing it in to the Insurance's preferred shop, the damages totaled up to $4000. That includes paint-less dent repair on the roof and side and the installation of a new hood (paint and labour). The insurance company has accepted the estimate and I should be able to get the truck in the shop later this month. Now to work on the house damages :(

The one concern I have is that the gent' at the body shop explained that they will need to paint the two front fenders as to provide a prefect match and "blend" to the new hood. The fenders would have otherwise been untouched besides one small ding that could have been easily popped out. I assume this is a common process, but I'm a little uneasy about messing up the factory paint on the fenders.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Am I just being anal?

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Blending of paint becomes a factor on older vehicles where the original paint has faded a bit. On a new vehicle, the new paint on the hood should perfectly match the new paint on the fenders. I would pass on painting the front fenders or get the insurance company to cut you a check for the difference. Some of the labor cost will be removal of the headliner so the paint-less dent technician can get access on the inside surface of the roof.
What color is your Frontier?

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
$4000, great googly moogly!
$4000 CDN..
On this topic, I have a friend who owns a body shop and he tells me estimates for painting each panel on the car run $500 each. Each car has an average of 9 panels or $4500 for a whole squirt. That does not include body work, just paint.
You should also know insurance auto body shops have two prices for identical work. One for insurance work and one for people paying cash. Cash customers pay less than insurance companies.
This is also the same at hospitals. Insured patients have higher billing than cash paying patients.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Blend operation would be needed on our fenders on any metallic color as the fenders and the hood share a plane. It is needed and warranted.

EDIT: Saw your original post. If your truck is KH3 Black Clearcoat the shop should not need to blend black. I would negotiate tint time for a test panel to save money and to keep your factory clear.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You are correct upflying, it's $4000 CDN.
The colour is Knight Armour, which does have an extra cost ($135 here in Canada) associated with it so I am assuming it is considered metallic paint colour.

As for the roof..... He did mention the possibility of removing the headliner, but he's going to try to avoid it. He also said they might have to remove the windshield but he's hoping to avoid that as well. I'd have to agree because I don't like the idea of messing up the factory seals.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts