Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one put a set of 4.10 gear set & or Lockers in a 2006 , or in the equivalent diffs of a Nissan Frontier 4x4??? Or maybe something between 3.5 & 4.10??

I have a new to me 2006 Nissan Frontier King Cab, 6 speed manual, that I believe comes stock with 3.538 gears. It seems to run just fine but seems like it might "feel" a little better over all with lower gears. I understand Nissan probably do not go that low so it would have to be after market gears that would fit in the 3.538 punkin. Also wondering about lockers/limited slips that fit.

If so how did the work out for you???

Thanks.

LBM>:D

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
I have the ring and pinion gears,installation kits but have not installed them yet.
I installed a Trutrac limited slip a few years ago.
All can be purchased from "Rugged Rocks".

Attachments

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
It works fine for the desert type of driving I do.
If you are more into crawling a locker would probably be better.
You might want to look into Lokka locker for the front.The 180 differential's spider gears are known to fail and it replaces them.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great Thanks - I was thinking more of just putting something in the back when I did the gear change - probably won't run it too hard. Long range planning kind of thing since I just got it. It just feels like a little lower overall gearing would be better.

Do you by chance have any Idea what the ratios are in the 6 speed and where the V6 makes its best torque/HP?

Thanks.

LBM

·
Registered
16 Posts
The factory gearing is retarded, especially with bigger tires. Once I'm done collecting parts I'm going with 4.56 gears, on 33s that's similar gearing to a 350z, around 2100rpm at 100kph.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So 100 KPH is like 60 mph correct???

Yea - everything now- a- days is geared too high!!!!

LBM

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
The factory gearing is retarded, especially with bigger tires. Once I'm done collecting parts I'm going with 4.56 gears, on 33s that's similar gearing to a 350z, around 2100rpm at 100kph.
Yes,I would have preferred 4:56 but I am using the 180 differential.
I bought a spare differential since I had the 3:69 carrier which won't accept 4:11 gears.I have the Lokka locker for it,plus I will transfer the 300m axles in the truck now.Should be fairly strong.

·
Registered
6,005 Posts
Are you sure about your stock gearing. Are you 4wd or 2wd. Here is some more gearing info.
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f62/what-axle-gears-do-i-have-my-2nd-gen-32992/
If 3.69 you will need a new diff carrier, like Whistler said I don't they make gears for the 3.69 carrier. What size tires are you planning on going do.
I think I see more people going to 4.56 than 4.1. Go read JrNevada's build. She went to 4.56 and loves them. But then again, her rig is basically a full time wheeler.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's stock, 2006 manual 6 speed, V6, 265/75/16 tires 4x4. I believe it came stock with the 3.69 gears probably with 245's so these tires are taller = higher overall gear ratio.

So I guess I need to find a set of 4.10's or maybe 4.56's that fit the 3.69 carrier????? or find out I also need a different carrier for the lower ratios????

As it is it runs fine my butt just tells me it just too high geared. I like the 265's so I guess I'll just have to do some figuring on how much higher the 265's made it and how much lower the 4.10 or 4.56' lowers it. I don't plan on making it a rock crawler - I've got other rigs for that but I might pull a 10' flat bed trailer with motorcycles and other stuff like that once in a while. It's a ways down on the bucket list though as I have several other projects. I'm one of those better start planning now so when I get "tuit" I know what to do!

Thanks.

LBM::grin::

Are you sure about your stock gearing. Are you 4wd or 2wd. Here is some more gearing info.
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f62/what-axle-gears-do-i-have-my-2nd-gen-32992/
If 3.69 you will need a new diff carrier, like Whistler said I don't they make gears for the 3.69 carrier. What size tires are you planning on going do.
I think I see more people going to 4.56 than 4.1. Go read JrNevada's build. She went to 4.56 and loves them. But then again, her rig is basically a full time wheeler.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
gears vs tire size

So for the fun of it and because the last post got me to thinking I went online and found a couple of calculators - one for tire size and one for gear ratio/mph @65mph.

Base line the 265/75/16 tires are theoretically 1" taller so the gear ratio change worked out to be this =

3.69 = 3.55, 4.10= 3.95 and 4.56= 4.39

I did the rpm change @65mph in 5th gear since I knew/or think/or estimated that was 1-1 and then I figured OD @ .6-1 and .7-1 since I don't know what OD actually is in this Nissan - gives a good working idea anyway.

3.55= 2501 rpm, 3.95= 2783 & 4.39 = 3095 - all @ 65mph in 1-1

3.55= 1501 rpm, 3.95 = 1670 & 4.39 = 1856 @ 65mph in .6-1 OD

3.55 = 1751 rpm, 3.95 = 1948 & 4.39 = 2165 @ 65mph in .7-1 OD

Now I know why my sensitive butt didn't like what it was feeling!!!! To me and where I drive OD is just not usable as it is. I'd like to find a power graph to know where the torque and HP are in this V6. One thing for sure is that 1500 rpm is just a hair above idle and would really need a long flat with a bit of downhill to not lug the engine.I'd say at this point a change to 4.10's is just not enough to justify the cost so it'll need to be 4.56's!!!

LBM:nerd:

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts