Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,133 Posts
Yea, they don't but a 6m KC Nismo does, lol.

I thought there were doing 3.73 also?
hahah.
but there still is no money in those gears even with frontiers. i didnt need gears until 35s, and now that im there i want 4.10s.
i heard rumors of another company doing 3.73 but i cant confirm.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
hahah.
but there still is no money in those gears even with frontiers. i didnt need gears until 35s, and now that im there i want 4.10s.
i heard rumors of another company doing 3.73 but i cant confirm.
Stepping up from 3.36 to a 4.10 is a bit extreme. Heck, Penski is rocking the 3.69s with his 35s and it is doing fine.

I would have to say that the 3.73 is almost a Frontier specific thing but using the m205 diff is the correct decision since the r180 is just a bit weak to handle that extra stress.

Most Frontier's can't go beyond 35s without major mods to both the frame and suspension which most people won't do. If they are going for the mall crawler look then 35s and gears may sell so those people will want the 3.73s since the 4.10 will just eat gas.

·
Premium Member
12,133 Posts
i didnt know he switched to 35s yet? very nice, i wonder how they are. mine was a bit of a dog at 35s with 3.36. but with the motor i will be fine. but there is still the added stress in the driveline.
4.10 is a huge step up ill give you that, but there arent 3.73s:)

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
i'm pretty sure last i heard he was still running 33" almost positive i saw sexychick say that in a thread this past week but also if i remember right she was saying that they were most likely going to get 35" when the 33" are done so.....

4.10s are a big jump but so is going from a 30.5 10.50 to a 35 11.50 or 12.50 that in itself is eventually changing your gearing and adding a crap load of unsprung weight as well. going by online calcs the in a perfect world you'd want 3.85 with 35" to get back close to your stock ratio. while that is closer to 3.73 than 4.10 if your building a frontier with 35" you might as well go for the better crawling gears that will give you the most tq. that and the fact that there aren't 3.73s;)

·
Premium Member
6,429 Posts
still running 33's but could easily push 35's

if your an auto there really is no need to go deeper than 3.69 with 35's

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
That's just the thing. I've got 3.69's now and have no plans to go beyond a 33" tire (maybe 33.2") but I would like to have the added durability of the M205 down the road. That's not possible though since there won't be a gear ratio in a good range. 4.10's are way overkill if only running a 33" tire.

It's not that we need gears to push 33's or 35's, it's the R180 diff and the possibility that we could replace that with a stronger unit, the M205, if only there was an in-between gear ratio. Since there isn't and probably won't be, that shoot's down upgrading to the M205. A bit of a bummer... The M205 swap was a project a long ways down the road but it was still nice to think about.

Guess I'll have to be easy on the right foot. Still, great to see options for the guys and gals that could use them.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
still running 33's but could easily push 35's

if your an auto there really is no need to go deeper than 3.69 with 35's
Ahhh, my bad. I thought the whole gear swap was to allow for 35s and I just assumed 35s were on there.

Sorry for the mis-quote.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
LOL

Its difficult to remember what everyone is running at all times, lol.
so true, it seems like just about everyone is pretty busy with their ever changing projects

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
so true, it seems like just about everyone is pretty busy with their ever changing projects
Its crazy when you have some may builds happening at once. You have Penski/Sexy with their trucks. Then Nizmut with his. Mustard going crazy. T1s that is used for prototyping all the time it seems, lol. The guy in AZ with his full race kit. Renaldson is probably doing something with his. This is only a few of the 2nd gen guys.

Now for 1st gens.... Beef has slowed down the the BMW is on the rise. Houdini doesn't stop in that much but his is always changing.

This is mainly for offroad but what about performance street trucks? What happened to Sleepy23? Brutal is building a beast and it is just getting insane. Andy has a VK instead of a VQ on his own dime, damn. XterraHines finally blew his motor due to boost.

It just gets insane when you have all these awesome builds happening and being documented.

The crazy part is that these are only a few of the builds. There are so many more across so many more topics (lights, audio/video/ utilitrac customization, etc.....).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts