Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do all 4.0 V6 motors have a power range similar to a Honda Vtech? My Frontier has power from the start of the RPM range but at around 3000 RPM the motor has a power surge that seems to kick in. Is there any way of getting maximum power from the get go?

·
Premium Member
6,066 Posts
Not sure about Honda Vtech per se, but Honda's tend to sing up high w/o a lot of low end GRUNT. Our VQ40 make great torque down low, but depending upon the year may also have a WOT restriction down low. Sounds counterintuitive, but 4 liters is a lot of cubes. What yr is your Gen 2?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Subscribed, I still hope for a low cost WOT remover/switch without tuning. Shame they didn't link it to the traction control.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure about Honda Vtech per se, but Honda's tend to sing up high w/o a lot of low end GRUNT. Our VQ40 make great torque down low, but depending upon the year may also have a WOT restriction down low. Sounds counterintuitive, but 4 liters is a lot of cubes. What yr is your Gen 2?
2011 Frontier with a 4.0 V6. I also by-passed the yaw switch so there is no bog down when traction is lost.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know that the cam phasers have something to do with the power range. I would like the rpm range to rev up faster from a dead stop. I know I can gain another second in elapse time if this was possible. Maybe a chip?

·
Premium Member
6,066 Posts
The software in the engine's ECU is designed around stock/factory components and engine flow. Your 2011 does indeed have the factory WOT restriction*...so a BullyDog tuner can remove it* via the OBD II port. There are other OBD II performance tuners, but I'm unfamiliar w/ them and whether they work w/ your 2011. If you plan to engine mod toward performance (intake/exhaust/etc), then UpRev (or something else similar) would be a solid approach, but it'll get spendy fairly quickly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts