Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are after market headers any real advantage over the stock headers on a 4.0 in a 2011 Frontier?

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Doug Thorley makes some long tube headers, only down fall if you live in a state that requires emissions testing. They also make a short tube header to stay emissions happy. I went with short tube headers since the stock manifold and aftermarket manifold both cracked on me. I did the install in my driveway, Driver side took about 6+ hrs and then a yr
later I did the passenger side and was done in 4. Learned a little bit and bought different tools to make the job easier. If you decide to tackle this job yourself I could give you some advice if you want it. Do I feel a difference in power? Not really, doesn’t mean there isn’t. I wanted to get back on the dyno and see, and get tuned for 93octane. What is the reason you are looking into headers? Have you done any other performance upgrades?

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
41C4752F-71BF-4A4D-ADBE-D49AB6DE4D02.jpeg

Reactions: busemans

·
Registered
100 Posts
I am thinking about doing the long tube Doug headers, i have the AFE Intake and Catback already.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I am thinking about doing the long tube Doug headers, i have the AFE Intake and Catback already.
Fitment on the short tube headers was spot on. If I did not have emissions testing I would have went with long tube. Just remember to get new gaskets and new hardware.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Its what i did for the exhaust as well and its pretty loud as is so i imagine the headers will make it even louder.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
the short tube headers added little to no sound in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Headers function by minimizing the backpressure on the exhausting gas. Back in the days of Holly 4 bbl carburetors, they did served a purpose. With catalytic converters impeding the exhaust flow, headers cannot do much of anything. Likewise, they cannot affect the sound leaving the tailpipe. I know members like to mod their truck. But spend your money wisely. CAI are another money waster. Why install a CAI when the Frontier already comes with a CAI?

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Spend your money however you please. It is your truck not anyone else’s. Yes, the Frontier comes with a cold air intake already, but you can install a aftermarket cold air intake that is less restricted and a cone filter flows more than a panel filter.

Reactions: ZEEK246

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Headers function by minimizing the backpressure on the exhausting gas. Back in the days of Holly 4 bbl carburetors, they did served a purpose. With catalytic converters impeding the exhaust flow, headers cannot do much of anything. Likewise, they cannot affect the sound leaving the tailpipe. I know members like to mod their truck. But spend your money wisely. CAI are another money waster. Why install a CAI when the Frontier already comes with a CAI?
That's what I thought too. It already looks like the 4.0 has headers from factory. I had to purchase new cat's because the factory cat's will not hold up to higher octane fuel.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Spend your money however you please. It is your truck not anyone else’s. Yes, the Frontier comes with a cold air intake already, but you can install a aftermarket cold air intake that is less restricted and a cone filter flows more than a panel filter.
Yes, the owner can spend money on anything they want. I am offering a different opinion on the potential performance improvement vs. the cost. Cold air intakes work by drawing in denser air. Most of the time, the intake plenum is under high vacuum due to the pressure drop across the throttle plate. Similarly to the header-cat tandem, the pressure drop across the filter media is insignifiant if the major impediment to flow is the throttle plate. At WOT and at high rpms, pressure drop across the filter media is important. But this does not constitute the majority of driving conditions.

Changing out the headers is a big job. Think about the time and money vs. the potential gain. Moreover, if you develop a dead cat the dealer will for sure deny the warranty due to the mod. My opinion is that the mod did not cause the dead cat. But dealers are always looking for ways to deny an expensive warranty claim.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
That's what I thought too. It already looks like the 4.0 has headers from factory. I had to purchase new cat's because the factory cat's will not hold up to higher octane fuel.
Factory cats are the best in the world for they are designed to last the lifetime of the truck. Aftermarkets are not as good but by then the expected lifetime is much shorter. Octane is a measure of detonation resistance and has nothing to do with cats. Please explain.

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
After 80k miles, isn't the factory emissions system's warranty kaput? Yay or nay?

An aftermarket CAI is ALL about enhanced intake sounds...as it will likely not add any power except to an eager butt dyno that is geared to justifying the unneeded expenditure. I STILL WANT ONE, though.

Reactions: busemans

·
Registered
950 Posts
Lol........."an eager butt dyno" now thats the best description I've ever seen on why people swear by their spending money on useless products. What!! How dare you question my claim that these 50 dollar magnets on my fuel line don't really give me 30 more horsepower".................................too funny.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Yes, the owner can spend money on anything they want. I am offering a different opinion on the potential performance improvement vs. the cost. Cold air intakes work by drawing in denser air. Most of the time, the intake plenum is under high vacuum due to the pressure drop across the throttle plate. Similarly to the header-cat tandem, the pressure drop across the filter media is insignifiant if the major impediment to flow is the throttle plate. At WOT and at high rpms, pressure drop across the filter media is important. But this does not constitute the majority of driving conditions.

Changing out the headers is a big job. Think about the time and money vs. the potential gain. Moreover, if you develop a dead cat the dealer will for sure deny the warranty due to the mod. My opinion is that the mod did not cause the dead cat. But dealers are always looking for ways to deny an expensive warranty claim.
Since the OP has a 2011 he’s warranty is out the window. Yes, it is a time consuming job, but after I completed both sides it really wasn’t that bad.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Since the OP has a 2011 he’s warranty is out the window. Yes, it is a time consuming job, but after I completed both sides it really wasn’t that bad.
It's not just the OP. Anyone on this forum can read my warning concerning warranty denial. This may weigh on their purchase decision.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Factory cats are the best in the world for they are designed to last the lifetime of the truck. Aftermarkets are not as good but by then the expected lifetime is much shorter. Octane is a measure of detonation resistance and has nothing to do with cats. Please explain.
I read that the change in fuels will cause the cat's to overheat and destroy the insides.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts