Nissan Frontier Forum banner

281 - 300 of 331 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Did you guys see that the Nissan patrol (2022) is coming out with a 430HP 5.6 V8.... I mean I know it will be a cold day in hell before we see anything like that in the Frontier. Wonder if that will make it's way into the Titan....

·
Registered
288 Posts
If you can wait a few years, the next generation Ranger will probably get the 2.7 eco. I mean that might push past 8K lb's towing. I would never buy the 22 Nissan. LIke you its just not enough to move from a newish 19 P4X. But the next Ranger might be really something. I owned a 14 Ranger with the I-5 diesel and that had allot of power for a mid size. IMO, Nissan took too long to release this. I still think it will enjoy some early success. But it might be short lived once Toy/Ford come out with their next generations. I intentionally leave GM out because their quality is in the toilet.

Also Ram's ZF 9 speed is mostly gimped with their shoddy mapping SW. They messed up a good transmission full stop.

As for sticking with the F-apha and putting lipstick I think its allot more then that. Toyota did the exact same thing with the third gen tacoma. Except in that case, they put a much weaker drivetrain into it. The underpinnings mostly the same. And most of your taco heads still prefer the second gen. The forerunner still sells very well running the older 5 speed and 4 liter which is old as the hills.
I plan to test drive the 2022, just for kicks. I don't want to complain about something I've never touched, seen, or driven, but based on all of the specs and features, I'm disappointed, and I feel that a lot of my current pet-peeves are going to crop up in the 2022, considering they really haven't addressed anything but the looks.

I'll mention, again, I tow a lot, but I don't need more than 7,000lb. Any mid-size would do. I also prefer mid-size over full-size because I like having a smaller truck that I can toss around and practically lane-split at red lights. I may be a bit of a tough customer, each truck/brand has its own drawbacks.

Ford: I've never been a fan of the Blue Oval, but I realize that their engines are pretty good and they're the best-selling truck brand for a reason. The Ranger is somewhat on my Radar.

Chevy: I prefer the Chevy brand, but exactly the opposite problem, I'm not really that into their trucks or engines. The Colorado is Lazy design and really not something I would consider.

Ram 1500: I drove a 1500 for a month (outgoing 4th gen). The only thing I HATED about it was that it was too big and I hated the 9 speed (Hunt-n-peck) transmission on a rotary knob. Otherwise, if I was looking for a full size truck, the 5th gen would be at the top of my list. They actually try to build a better truck. This is a truck I could live out of with every creature comfort you could think of.

Ram Dakota: All that said.....there are rumors of a Ram Dakota coming out soon: link If it has the same passion as the Ram 1500, this would be the truck to get.

Toyota: The Taco has the absolute worst reputation, particularly because of the engine, transmission, and brakes, yet it's still one of the best ranked trucks and best selling trucks...why? I don't know. They just have a damn good reputation.

Jeep: No. I love that it's true to the Jeep name, but it's really only built for Jeep fans.

Honda: I used to give the Ridgeline a lot of **** for not being a real truck, HOWEVER, it is the highest ranked small truck on the market, and highest in customer satisfaction. The only reasons I wouldn't buy one: It goes in the opposite direction for me: The tow rating wouldn't suit me, the price is too high, and honestly, Honda never seems to care about their entertainment system. To me, the Ridgeline is a game-changer and something most people could consider, but it just doesn't work for me.

Nissan Frontier: As I've mentioned, I've outgrown the D40 from a 'feature' standpoint. It's a good size, it has good capacities, it's a good DD, but it's difficult to work out of, especially when you carry a lot of things like towing accessories, straps, chain, tools, keys, locks, shoes, fire extinguishers, air pump. I now own 3 personal trailers and I have another one for work. It's a lot of keys, accessories, and registration slips to carry with me. The 2022 Frontier just doesn't cut it, anymore.

Nissan Titan: Honestly, I can't say much bad about the Titan. Its sales numbers are in the toilet, but along with the Ram 1500, if I was going full-size, this would also be at the top of my list. Nissan is desperate enough to cut me a deal, It's built on a newer frame, especially the XD, and there are actually a lot of cool features that I wish made it into the Frontier. Honestly, the Titan Warrior is what would probably push me over the edge and say "Fuck anything else, I'm going Full Size."
It takes more than just power to up the tow rating. IMO, it just flat out takes a heavier truck - otherwise you'll have the tail wagging the dog. Whenever newbs come here wanting to tow max/near max weight, they are quickly informed it's an unwise practice unless they aren't going very far. 3/4 ton trucks were/are more purpose-built for these situations.
I agree.....but....

I just want to reiterate, I'm fine with the Frontier's 6720lb tow rating. I wouldn't have been disappointed if they matched some other brands with a 7k rating, but I'm happy with where we stand in overall body size and tow rating.

The 2022 IS getting active sway control, which is a plus, I'm not sure if it's getting a built in brake controller, though. I have to say, though, I have a Prodigy P2 controller, I've definitely exceeded my Frontier's tow capacity more than a few times. The Frontier is a SOLID tow machine. 8-wheel braking, I can stop on a dime, and with 1000s of towing miles, I've never really had a sway issue, except when I once had to reverse-load an old Buick on my trailer, throwing the weight distribution to absolute hell.
I agree with pretty much everything you have stated. I had a 2016 tacoma and it was an abysmal failure in my opinion. Had so many issues with the truck that i had to sell it. Do i think the Nissan can rival the Tacoma? maybe, but for me it all depends on one thing. Pricing. Also keep in mind this new engine is not the old 4.0 VQ engine with port injection. The 3.8 is direct injected (only) which in my book is a no no , this means long term reliability is in question. Now i don't know what kind of engineering went into this new VQ 3.8 engine to mitigate the Carbon buildup but if is the same engineering that is in the current Titan engine then is not good news.
You can probably try to mitigate that by using catch cans or CRC cleaner every so many miles or simple pay the dealer to clean the valves, not a big issue but like stated before it comes down to Pricing.
The pro 4x to me is like a TRD offroad tacoma not the pro. If they price the pro4x cheaper than the TRD offroad then they could hit a home run, if they price it like the PRO then it will not sell well.
Also we have to think about something. Nissan all these years have been playing the "offer more for the price" kind of brand. and with this truck they just have to keep up on playing that card. Nissan overall sales are suffering worldwide and if they do the same they did with the Titan, pricing it similar to the Tundra and F150 then they will be shooting themselves in the foot.
For me there is no way this Pro4X should start at more than 40k , if it does then i don't see this selling at all , especially when you can get an offroad automatic TRD offroad with crawl control for 39-40 and even cheaper than that if you go Manual (which Nissan is not offering anymore)
Also we have to think about resale value on these trucks are not great so in the initial value for money investment might be good but long term not so much given that the Tacoma after 5 years holds almost 60% of its value and the current frontier only 47%

We will have to wait and see and if they price it correctly we might have a contestant if not then i don't see this truck sticking around for long especially with the new ranger coming up and Tacoma in 2024
It's terrible that Toyota can still get such reviews and sales numbers with such a bad engine/transmission. Again, I think they make up for it in customer base and 'creature features.'

The VQ dates back to the 90s, I had a 1996 Maxima with a 3.0 in it. I had a 3.5L swapped into my 1999 Sentra, and I obviously have my 4.0L. There are dozens of variations of the VQ engine, some good, some bad. For instance, my 3.5 came from a 2002 Maxima, Had a lot of oil blow-by and eventually spun a bearing. The 4.0 is solid, but it's OLD. The 3.8 is definitely a superior and more efficient engine, but it's also unproven.

GDI has a history of carbon build-up. I'm not sure if Nissan has resolved it or they're conveniently playing dumb because in 60,000mi, it won't be their problem to deal with....it's a mystery. Dual injection has been considered a solution, Nissan did not go with dual injection. That doesn't mean that Nissan hasn't solved the problem. They may have gone with sodium-filled valves to keep the valve cooler. They may have done the dual spray, like they did on the Juke and Mazda does on the Skyactiv Engine to reduce intake temps and wash the back of the valve. Also worth noting that Mazda has their injectors aimed at the intake valve and spray when it's open. Here's a demonstration on the Juke Engine:

Anyway, it's TBD, we don't know if Nissan has fixed the carbon problem or not...so far people are happy with the new 310hp 3.8 and the transmission, so they're already ahead of Toyota in this department.
Hilux is a bomb proof truck . At least the old ones.
I am still not convinced 100% on this 3.8 direct engine . Why did Nissan decided to go with only a direct injection instead of dual injection is the only question i would have for the engineers. The forums in the TITAN 5.6 direct injection are scary after just 30k miles
The community over there has some pretty mixed opinions, as well. Nissan has made the DI 5.6 since 2009, but yes, some are showing some bad build-up. On one hand, perhaps the 3.8 has newer solutions built in. On the other hand, I highly recommend DI owners run Intake valve cleaner or seafoam through their intake port, once a year.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I plan to test drive the 2022, just for kicks. I don't want to complain about something I've never touched, seen, or driven, but based on all of the specs and features, I'm disappointed, and I feel that a lot of my current pet-peeves are going to crop up in the 2022, considering they really haven't addressed anything but the looks.

I'll mention, again, I tow a lot, but I don't need more than 7,000lb. Any mid-size would do. I also prefer mid-size over full-size because I like having a smaller truck that I can toss around and practically lane-split at red lights. I may be a bit of a tough customer, each truck/brand has its own drawbacks.

Ford: I've never been a fan of the Blue Oval, but I realize that their engines are pretty good and they're the best-selling truck brand for a reason. The Ranger is somewhat on my Radar.

Chevy: I prefer the Chevy brand, but exactly the opposite problem, I'm not really that into their trucks or engines. The Colorado is Lazy design and really not something I would consider.

Ram 1500: I drove a 1500 for a month (outgoing 4th gen). The only thing I HATED about it was that it was too big and I hated the 9 speed (Hunt-n-peck) transmission on a rotary knob. Otherwise, if I was looking for a full size truck, the 5th gen would be at the top of my list. They actually try to build a better truck. This is a truck I could live out of with every creature comfort you could think of.

Ram Dakota: All that said.....there are rumors of a Ram Dakota coming out soon: link If it has the same passion as the Ram 1500, this would be the truck to get.

Toyota: The Taco has the absolute worst reputation, particularly because of the engine, transmission, and brakes, yet it's still one of the best ranked trucks and best selling trucks...why? I don't know. They just have a damn good reputation.

Jeep: No. I love that it's true to the Jeep name, but it's really only built for Jeep fans.

Honda: I used to give the Ridgeline a lot of **** for not being a real truck, HOWEVER, it is the highest ranked small truck on the market, and highest in customer satisfaction. The only reasons I wouldn't buy one: It goes in the opposite direction for me: The tow rating wouldn't suit me, the price is too high, and honestly, Honda never seems to care about their entertainment system. To me, the Ridgeline is a game-changer and something most people could consider, but it just doesn't work for me.

Nissan Frontier: As I've mentioned, I've outgrown the D40 from a 'feature' standpoint. It's a good size, it has good capacities, it's a good DD, but it's difficult to work out of, especially when you carry a lot of things like towing accessories, straps, chain, tools, keys, locks, shoes, fire extinguishers, air pump. I now own 3 personal trailers and I have another one for work. It's a lot of keys, accessories, and registration slips to carry with me. The 2022 Frontier just doesn't cut it, anymore.

Nissan Titan: Honestly, I can't say much bad about the Titan. Its sales numbers are in the toilet, but along with the Ram 1500, if I was going full-size, this would also be at the top of my list. Nissan is desperate enough to cut me a deal, It's built on a newer frame, especially the XD, and there are actually a lot of cool features that I wish made it into the Frontier. Honestly, the Titan Warrior is what would probably push me over the edge and say "Fuck anything else, I'm going Full Size."

I agree.....but....

I just want to reiterate, I'm fine with the Frontier's 6720lb tow rating. I wouldn't have been disappointed if they matched some other brands with a 7k rating, but I'm happy with where we stand in overall body size and tow rating.

The 2022 IS getting active sway control, which is a plus, I'm not sure if it's getting a built in brake controller, though. I have to say, though, I have a Prodigy P2 controller, I've definitely exceeded my Frontier's tow capacity more than a few times. The Frontier is a SOLID tow machine. 8-wheel braking, I can stop on a dime, and with 1000s of towing miles, I've never really had a sway issue, except when I once had to reverse-load an old Buick on my trailer, throwing the weight distribution to absolute hell.

It's terrible that Toyota can still get such reviews and sales numbers with such a bad engine/transmission. Again, I think they make up for it in customer base and 'creature features.'

The VQ dates back to the 90s, I had a 1996 Maxima with a 3.0 in it. I had a 3.5L swapped into my 1999 Sentra, and I obviously have my 4.0L. There are dozens of variations of the VQ engine, some good, some bad. For instance, my 3.5 came from a 2002 Maxima, Had a lot of oil blow-by and eventually spun a bearing. The 4.0 is solid, but it's OLD. The 3.8 is definitely a superior and more efficient engine, but it's also unproven.

GDI has a history of carbon build-up. I'm not sure if Nissan has resolved it or they're conveniently playing dumb because in 60,000mi, it won't be their problem to deal with....it's a mystery. Dual injection has been considered a solution, Nissan did not go with dual injection. That doesn't mean that Nissan hasn't solved the problem. They may have gone with sodium-filled valves to keep the valve cooler. They may have done the dual spray, like they did on the Juke and Mazda does on the Skyactiv Engine to reduce intake temps and wash the back of the valve. Also worth noting that Mazda has their injectors aimed at the intake valve and spray when it's open. Here's a demonstration on the Juke Engine:

Anyway, it's TBD, we don't know if Nissan has fixed the carbon problem or not...so far people are happy with the new 310hp 3.8 and the transmission, so they're already ahead of Toyota in this department.

The community over there has some pretty mixed opinions, as well. Nissan has made the DI 5.6 since 2009, but yes, some are showing some bad build-up. On one hand, perhaps the 3.8 has newer solutions built in. On the other hand, I highly recommend DI owners run Intake valve cleaner or seafoam through their intake port, once a year.
Its always entertaining to read your notes

As a Toyota owner I have always had big remarks on Toyota trucks and suvs.
My biggest gripe with Toyota lately is that their cars look dated compared to other vehicles but for me reliability is on top of my priorities. and that is what they do best.

I would love to buy the new frontier. The old one I know is bullet proof but extremely dated . I really like the 2022 design and inside features and creature comforts but the only thing that has me worried is the DI engine.

I know someone mentioned in this forum that the dealers are offering valve cleaning or induction system cleaning for $180 bucks or so that could be a feasible solution

I just want to get a truck that I can keep for a while and i need it soon, currently i have a 99 4runner while has been an extremely reliable vehicle is starting to show its age and don't have any comforts on the inside .

I am in between 3 choices. 1st choice is this truck . I really like it , I think Nissan did a really good job with the design and from what i have heard on the 2020 the transmission and engine combination is good but the DI is making me doubt about the choice.

2nd choice would be a tacoma but not automatic. I had a 2016 automatic (one of the first ones) and it was awful, Toyota dropped the ball with that combo. Many people states the manual is much better so i have been thinking about that but the manual just doesn't have any comforts and is really plain

3rd choice - another 4runner but the TRD Offroad premium is a little steep in pricing for my liking and the current 4runner are a little long in the tooth same model for 11 years is too much.

So as you can see i have a dilemma and I am really rooting for Nissan to hit this out of the park they need it and we as customer too need the competition. I remember Nissan in the 90s used to be as equal if not better built cars than Toyota. Everything changed when Renault acquired them and the whole Carlos Ghosn mess, granted he got nissan out of a big hole but at the expense of cheap parts and nissan reliability going down big time. I think this could be nissan new opportunity to make things right and i really want to them to do well

Do you guys think that DI and carbon buildup could me a limitation in buying this truck?

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
The DI intake valve carbon problem is just an additional maintenance item, easily remedied with a chem cleaner, it's just that people don't do the maintenance causing their own problem.

·
Registered
2020 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X
68 Posts
I know someone mentioned in this forum that the dealers are offering valve cleaning or induction system cleaning for $180 bucks or so that could be a feasible solution.

Do you guys think that DI and carbon buildup could me a limitation in buying this truck?
I'd be highly sceptical that this $180 valve cleaning by the dealer is actual valve cleaning. At worst, they're dumping some fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank (which will do nothing on a DI engine) and at best, they're spraying valve cleaner past the throttle body, which you can DIY for like $15.

I plan on running a can of CRC valve cleaner every couple of years or so, maybe every 20k miles, and calling it a day.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Your almost right, 27$$ for a can of Berryman's intake valve cleaner. A shop usually charges about 200 bucks for the same thing. PEA is PEA(techron) so it doesnt matter who spray's it on the back of your intake valve, but it is the ONLY and best detergent made in existence, and cleans really well. You just have to do it every 30-50K miles. Not a big deal, takes an hour on saturday afternoon. On a fourbanger (my sonata) it's easily confirmable to check its effectiveness by pulling the plastic intake manifold off, this leaves you looking right at the backside of both intake valves. At 60K both valves were clean as a whistle, it's a non-issue. When I pulled my frontier manifold (4cyl) off to change plugs the valves were dirtier then my DI hyundai sonota.

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
13,650 Posts
People, please stay civilized amongst one another. Differences of opinions are no reason to throw insults and swear. You've been warned.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Before I bought my Frontier I expressed interest in buying one new from the dealer. Not only were they not prepared to deal, they wanted more than the local msrp. So I bought an ultra low km 6 year old Frontier from a used car dealer and paid the bank loan off in about 15 months, all the while accessorizing it.

The last Frontier they had in inventory they were asking $4000 plus over msrp. Even so, it sold fast. Even $4K over Msrp it was still a good deal compared to a Taco from the local Toyo dealer.
Its a completely different market up in Canada. Especially on the final run of the older VQ40/5 speed and the fact you guys did not get the 2020. Any dealer will charge more if they can get away with it. But here in the US you could always get good discounts if you searched around. Allot of it is negotiation skills and knowing when your losing the game and walk away. I hate buying cars/trucks because I become a pretty ugly person lol. But if demand is high enough nothing works for getting discounts. Pretty much what I found at Toyota dealers. Take it or leave it is what they will tell you.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Its always entertaining to read your notes

As a Toyota owner I have always had big remarks on Toyota trucks and suvs.
My biggest gripe with Toyota lately is that their cars look dated compared to other vehicles but for me reliability is on top of my priorities. and that is what they do best.

I would love to buy the new frontier. The old one I know is bullet proof but extremely dated . I really like the 2022 design and inside features and creature comforts but the only thing that has me worried is the DI engine.

I know someone mentioned in this forum that the dealers are offering valve cleaning or induction system cleaning for $180 bucks or so that could be a feasible solution

I just want to get a truck that I can keep for a while and i need it soon, currently i have a 99 4runner while has been an extremely reliable vehicle is starting to show its age and don't have any comforts on the inside .

I am in between 3 choices. 1st choice is this truck . I really like it , I think Nissan did a really good job with the design and from what i have heard on the 2020 the transmission and engine combination is good but the DI is making me doubt about the choice.

2nd choice would be a tacoma but not automatic. I had a 2016 automatic (one of the first ones) and it was awful, Toyota dropped the ball with that combo. Many people states the manual is much better so i have been thinking about that but the manual just doesn't have any comforts and is really plain

3rd choice - another 4runner but the TRD Offroad premium is a little steep in pricing for my liking and the current 4runner are a little long in the tooth same model for 11 years is too much.

So as you can see i have a dilemma and I am really rooting for Nissan to hit this out of the park they need it and we as customer too need the competition. I remember Nissan in the 90s used to be as equal if not better built cars than Toyota. Everything changed when Renault acquired them and the whole Carlos Ghosn mess, granted he got nissan out of a big hole but at the expense of cheap parts and nissan reliability going down big time. I think this could be nissan new opportunity to make things right and i really want to them to do well

If you go with the tacoma test drive the MT and make sure you get on the interstate. One beef I keep hearing about the truck is that 5th and 6th gears are overdrive. Many wish it had better spacing using only one OD gear. In that regard I've heard the Frontier had better gearing when they had the MT. Next generation Tacoma most likely will ditch the MT as well. Also check your warranties. I'm pretty sure my dealer in Albuquerque has lifetime warranties on allot of components. Also I got 100K 10 year bumper to bumper with no deductible on my 19 Pro 4X for around 1400 dollars. But I think they offer much better warranties now out of the box. And its something you can negotiate when buying. I paid half what they wanted for the extended coverage. If I buy a 22 I would have at least 10 years coverage on the motor/trans. You better believe it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you go with the tacoma test drive the MT and make sure you get on the interstate. One beef I keep hearing about the truck is that 5th and 6th gears are overdrive. Many wish it had better spacing using only one OD gear. In that regard I've heard the Frontier had better gearing when they had the MT. Next generation Tacoma most likely will ditch the MT as well. Also check your warranties. I'm pretty sure my dealer in Albuquerque has lifetime warranties on allot of components. Also I got 100K 10 year bumper to bumper with no deductible on my 19 Pro 4X for around 1400 dollars. But I think they offer much better warranties now out of the box. And its something you can negotiate when buying. I paid half what they wanted for the extended coverage. If I buy a 22 I would have at least 10 years coverage on the motor/trans. You better believe it.
Still not quite sure what route to go. I will like to test drive the new frontier and see what is has to offer

·
Registered
288 Posts
The DI intake valve carbon problem is just an additional maintenance item, easily remedied with a chem cleaner, it's just that people don't do the maintenance causing their own problem.
IMO, it's just another maintenance item, and something that can be corrected by a once-a-year cleaning with a chemical agent into the intake port (I prefer the brake booster hose, personally).

Here's the problem.....people are not well informed, and even when they are, they might not be the smartest about fixing it, anyhow. I'd imagine 0.00001% of the population even knows what Carbon Buildup is, let alone how it forms, how it relates to GDI, and how to prevent it.

What this means is that any 2020+ Frontier and any 2014+ Armada/Titan, you have to be wary about buying on the used market, since you're 99.9% certain that the previous owner did not take the time or effort to clean the intake valves. Even if he did, he probably poured something in his gas tank and called it a day.

Let's just say it's probably not an issue if you're the original owner and on top of things. It's a huge issue if you're in the market for a GDI that has miles on it from a previous owner.
I'd be highly sceptical that this $180 valve cleaning by the dealer is actual valve cleaning. At worst, they're dumping some fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank (which will do nothing on a DI engine) and at best, they're spraying valve cleaner past the throttle body, which you can DIY for like $15.

I plan on running a can of CRC valve cleaner every couple of years or so, maybe every 20k miles, and calling it a day.
I guess the advantage of knowing your sh*t is being able to spega da language of Le Auto Mechanik. Simply put, ask a Nissan mechanic what the $180 VK56/VQ38 Valve cleaning entails.maybe it's a good deal, maybe it's a crap deal.
Your almost right, 27$$ for a can of Berryman's intake valve cleaner. A shop usually charges about 200 bucks for the same thing. PEA is PEA(techron) so it doesnt matter who spray's it on the back of your intake valve, but it is the ONLY and best detergent made in existence, and cleans really well. You just have to do it every 30-50K miles. Not a big deal, takes an hour on saturday afternoon. On a fourbanger (my sonata) it's easily confirmable to check its effectiveness by pulling the plastic intake manifold off, this leaves you looking right at the backside of both intake valves. At 60K both valves were clean as a whistle, it's a non-issue. When I pulled my frontier manifold (4cyl) off to change plugs the valves were dirtier then my DI hyundai sonota.
How does it compare to a regular Seafoaming?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Its a completely different market up in Canada. Especially on the final run of the older VQ40/5 speed and the fact you guys did not get the 2020. Any dealer will charge more if they can get away with it. But here in the US you could always get good discounts if you searched around. Allot of it is negotiation skills and knowing when your losing the game and walk away. I hate buying cars/trucks because I become a pretty ugly person lol. But if demand is high enough nothing works for getting discounts. Pretty much what I found at Toyota dealers. Take it or leave it is what they will tell you.
It’s all a matter of supply and demand. Supply was low and demand was strong. Used prices on Frontiers are now crazy high here. Tacoma high.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wow. There's a lot of negative takes on the 2022 Frontier on here. I guess I'll play devil's advocate. I have a 2016 SV 4X4 that I bought in 2015. The new truck is absolutely everything that I would keep the same, and everything I would change. I can't find a single fault with it. I'd even pay normal prices instead of the huge Nissan discount I paid for my 2016.

What I like:

-They kept the same frame, and therefore the same wheelbase. I drive over a few creeks and up and down steep creek banks to access hunting areas, so approach, breakover, and departure angle are important to me. It looks like the new model will at least maintain what they currently have or even improved on the approach angle.
-Ironically, that wheelbase and shorter overall length also makes it the best city truck out of all the midsize trucks.
-Interior storage greatly improved, including wireless charging. My point of comparison is our family hauler, a 2019 Chevy Traverse. It looks like they benchmarked midsized SUV's in terms of styling and features. This stacks up, whereas my current model falls way behind.
-My 2016 didn't even come with a trip computer for calculating gas mileage and distance to empty. Seriously? My 2003 Altima had that. Our Traverse has a very similar gauge layout and digital trip computer in the center of the gauges, plus the touchscreen on the infotainment center.
-Zero gravity seats, both front and back. I actually think the current seats are great, but rely too much on thickness instead of the shape to provide comfort. These look like they improved rear legroom a little bit, and the rear seats are also zero gravity.
-The only thing I was disappointed with on my 2016 when I drove it off the lot was the antiquated drivetrain. This is addressed with the new powertrain introduced last year. 2mpg combined isn't a whole lot, but an extra 40 miles out of each tank is noticeable improvement.
-It looks like the extra five inches of length will include some additional volume to the interior. There's a lot of speculation it's all in the nose, but I don't think so. The roof is two inches taller, and it looks like the rear wheel is slightly closer to the cab. I might be in the minority, but I have three kids and they're growing. The rear seat is the widest of all midsize trucks, and putting three carseats across the back was important at the time of purchase. Now being able to put at least two kids in zero gravity seats in the rear is a plus. Rear seats appear to be slightly less upright.
-Trailer sway control. I pull a side by side, so I guess that's a plus, but I'm not pulling over 2,500 pounds, but never say never.

What I don't like:
-Nothing. I see some complaints about interior accent colors and stitching, but keep in mind that those items are included to highlight them in photos, etc. An SV, which is likely to be the volume seller, will have muted colors.

For those questioning the direct injection, isn't the engine just a slightly larger version of the VQ DI engine that's been in the pathfinder for a few years now? I would research that engine to say how DI has affected those engines in those model years.

It will boil down to the overall value for me. With full sizes costing as much as a lake house, and other midsizes commanding more than MSRP, Nissan fit the bill as being moderately priced, plus it had the lowest overall cost of ownership. And it had the most practical dimensions. As long as the price isn't hugely inflated, it will probably be my next purchase.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Wow. There's a lot of negative takes on the 2022 Frontier on here. I guess I'll play devil's advocate. I have a 2016 SV 4X4 that I bought in 2015. The new truck is absolutely everything that I would keep the same, and everything I would change.
[SELF MODERATED]

Glad you like the truck, I'm with you on that. I'm not gonna defend it anymore based on the responses I've gotten

Evidently liking the looks and features of the new truck and challenging the excessive negativity makes me an instigator.

Oh well, what can you do.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Crew Cab
191 Posts
[SELF MODERATED]

Glad you like the truck, I'm with you on that. I'm not gonna defend it anymore based on the responses I've gotten

Evidently liking the looks and features of the new truck and challenging the excessive negativity makes me an instigator.

Oh well, what can you do.
Nothing wrong with liking the truck, nothing wrong with disliking it either. There's nothing to defend or challenge. People will come around or they won't.

I don't care much for the new truck at this point on account of the DI, and no real practical upgrades that would make my life better, but maybe one day I will come around.

·
Registered
287 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Reactions: woodtemple
281 - 300 of 331 Posts