Nissan Frontier Forum banner

261 - 280 of 328 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,715 Posts
Truck Trend (RIP) did not care for the Jeeps manual trans/shifting at all. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The automotive press has ranked the Frontier low in recent years based on dated styling inside and out and lack of hi tech features. The 2022 adopts so called modern styling outside and it appears that the inside will contain lots of soft touch surfaces and stitching, two things the press corps adore. It is a D40 with major refinements, not a new truck. It’s evolution not revolution. Some will prefer the look of the 2021 and others the 2022. Americans are lucky - you can buy a 2021 now if you want the 2005-2021 look, or wait until September and get the 2022. We Canadians can only choose between a used 2005-2019 or wait until Summer for a 2022.

I think the 2022 will be a success. A huge one in Canada due to pent up demand and the Titan being exterminated IF Nissan is careful on price. To Nissan’s credit, Canadian prices have been very attractive given the difference in the dollars. Key is going to be what the S and SV look like. They will have different headlights and will not have the wheel opening cladding.

The Frontier probably has the best frame in its class. It’s a very solid mid size truck and that will be important with the demise of the Titan in Canada. If that goes well, don’t be surprised if the Titan becomes extinct in the USA too.

The lack of new Frontiers here in Canada has seemed to benefit the Jeep truck. I’ve seen a lot in recent months now that we cannot buy Frontiers.

Reactions: stevet47

·
Registered
275 Posts
Has anyone else had someone ask you what your truck even was? I've never in my life owned a vehicle that people didn't know what it was when they were looking at it. Does Nissan just suck at advertising?
I hardly ever see a Nissan Ad and when I do it's all bout the Rogue/sentra. The last time I remember a Frontier in an ad was like 10 years ago.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Here in Atlantic Canada Nissan did try promoting the Titan on the radio after there were no Frontiers left to sell. I believe Century Nissan in Antigonish moved some quite a few Titans that way, because radio works really well in that market. Highland Nissan in Westville liked to carry 4 cylinder Frontiers and sold lots over the years - that’s were my truck came from. Locally Centennial Nissan seemed to rely on Frontiers selling themselves, which they did until there were no more to sell.

The Rouge gets lots of attention on TV for sure. Rogue not Rouge. Silly iPad.

People are always asking me about my truck - I tell them they are no longer available in Canada new but the new model is due soon. Interestingly Nissan Canada says summer 2021 while Nissan USA says late summer 2021.

Reactions: The other Sean

·
Registered
124 Posts
Has anyone else had someone ask you what your truck even was? I've never in my life owned a vehicle that people didn't know what it was when they were looking at it. Does Nissan just suck at advertising?
People don't really ask me what it is, they just say it's a nice truck. Sometimes at ChickFilA they write my car description as "white Nissan" or "white truck"

Then again, I only care what I think, and I think my truck looks sweet, especially with BFG K02's on it

·
Registered
178 Posts
"Best" engine is still a little early to call. The new 3.8L + 9-speed seems to be getting good reviews, and it comes from a long line of good VQ engines, but the GDI is still a worry for some, and it's not to say that there are other really good engines out there in the pickup truck world...If we leave Toyota out of this conversation. Also keep in mind that the engine/trans doesn't sell the vehicle. The Tacoma sells very well. I HATE the 9-speed in the Ram 1500 (with a passion), but overall, I like the Ram.

The Frontier has always been a good value, and that's been Nissan's Ace-in-the-Hole. It's the reason the D40 lasted this long, because it's dirt cheap. I think Nissan is trying to go in another direction, which is risky. The Ranger and Colorado now undercut the Frontier's pricing....in fact, I think the Tacoma may even be undercutting the Frontier....which is just weird. If Nissan doesn't want to be the "Value Truck" anymore, then they'll really need to step up their "Premium Truck" game, just like they did with the Titan.....and that didn't go so well, either: The Nissan Titan's Sales Numbers Are Alarming | MotorBiscuit

For as much as I like the Titan, as a full size truck, it's got the same issue the new Frontier is going to have: It's pretty good, but 'pretty good' isn't enough to justify its price tag. Unless Nissan can re-invent the truck, they really need to remember that they are only a backup-plan for people who don't want a Ford/Chevy/Ram.

Nissan can't just put lipstick on their old D40 (2004 Alpha-Platform) truck and expect it to be a heavy hitter, the 2022 IS the D40...which is currently ranked DEAD LAST in the Mid-Size category: Every 2021 Mid-Size Pickup Truck Ranked

I think there are a lot of Dreamers and a lot of Skeptics when it comes to how good the 2022 will actually be, when it hits showrooms. Time will only tell, but I personally think the 2022 model is going to have some problems after the initial hype dies down and the reviews come out. It's NOT enough to justify its sticker.

Now, why am I so bothered by this? Because I want to upgrade my 2015. I love my 2015, I'm now at 112,000mi and it's still great to live with, but I've outgrown it....only by a little. I don't particularly want a wide-body truck, nor do I need more tow capacity. 7,000lbs is about perfect for me. What I do need are more creature comforts and fresh takes: Power options, creative ways to haul long objects, built-in brake controller, storage boxes, auxiliary lighting, and overall, just a nice comfortable road-tripping small truck that can tow and carry 4. It seems that is where most of today's 4-door pickup trucks are aimed. I use every available storage location for most of my towing accessories, Chain, ratcheting straps, adapters, locks, keys, etc. Trust me when I say I've used every available dry space I could without sacrificing the rear seats. I have a Roll N' Lock bed cover, I still don't trust anything to last in my bed for any long periods of time.

Honestly, I've owned Nissans all of my life, I'm REALLY not into the 2022, particularly because it wouldn't be an upgrade.
If you can wait a few years, the next generation Ranger will probably get the 2.7 eco. I mean that might push past 8K lb's towing. I would never buy the 22 Nissan. LIke you its just not enough to move from a newish 19 P4X. But the next Ranger might be really something. I owned a 14 Ranger with the I-5 diesel and that had allot of power for a mid size. IMO, Nissan took too long to release this. I still think it will enjoy some early success. But it might be short lived once Toy/Ford come out with their next generations. I intentionally leave GM out because their quality is in the toilet.

Also Ram's ZF 9 speed is mostly gimped with their shoddy mapping SW. They messed up a good transmission full stop.

As for sticking with the F-apha and putting lipstick I think its allot more then that. Toyota did the exact same thing with the third gen tacoma. Except in that case, they put a much weaker drivetrain into it. The underpinnings mostly the same. And most of your taco heads still prefer the second gen. The forerunner still sells very well running the older 5 speed and 4 liter which is old as the hills.

·
Premium Member
6,715 Posts
It takes more than just power to up the tow rating. IMO, it just flat out takes a heavier truck - otherwise you'll have the tail wagging the dog. Whenever newbs come here wanting to tow max/near max weight, they are quickly informed it's an unwise practice unless they aren't going very far. 3/4 ton trucks were/are more purpose-built for these situations.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It takes more than just power to up the tow rating. IMO, it just flat out takes a heavier truck - otherwise you'll have the tail wagging the dog. Whenever newbs come here wanting to tow max/near max weight, they are quickly informed it's an unwise practice unless they aren't going very far.
Base upon what you've seen with the '22 Kingcab, what weight of camper trailer would you consider maximum for pulling through the Rockies?

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
It takes more than just power to up the tow rating. IMO, it just flat out takes a heavier truck - otherwise you'll have the tail wagging the dog. Whenever newbs come here wanting to tow max/near max weight, they are quickly informed it's an unwise practice unless they aren't going very far. 3/4 ton trucks were/are more purpose-built for these situations.
Effectively, if a turbo or VK56 swap were performed, along with HD cooling and a V8 Pathfinder brake upgrade project, a Frontier could safely tow over 8k#. The frame certainly isn't going to be the weak point, as it shares it with the Titan and the spiny bits are the weak points here, engine, transmission and brakes.
Before someone mentions the tow vehicle should outweigh the towed load, go look up what the 3500s are doing. They are pulling 2x+ their own weight in cargo.

Reactions: woodtemple

·
Registered
2019, Nissan Frontier SV 4x4, Arctic Blue.
584 Posts
Before someone mentions the tow vehicle should outweigh the towed load, go look up what the 3500s are doing. They are pulling 2x+ their own weight in cargo.
They must not have any concept on how a semi works then.
Just my two Mills on this.

·
Registered
39 Posts
"Best" engine is still a little early to call. The new 3.8L + 9-speed seems to be getting good reviews, and it comes from a long line of good VQ engines, but the GDI is still a worry for some, and it's not to say that there are other really good engines out there in the pickup truck world...If we leave Toyota out of this conversation. Also keep in mind that the engine/trans doesn't sell the vehicle. The Tacoma sells very well. I HATE the 9-speed in the Ram 1500 (with a passion), but overall, I like the Ram.

The Frontier has always been a good value, and that's been Nissan's Ace-in-the-Hole. It's the reason the D40 lasted this long, because it's dirt cheap. I think Nissan is trying to go in another direction, which is risky. The Ranger and Colorado now undercut the Frontier's pricing....in fact, I think the Tacoma may even be undercutting the Frontier....which is just weird. If Nissan doesn't want to be the "Value Truck" anymore, then they'll really need to step up their "Premium Truck" game, just like they did with the Titan.....and that didn't go so well, either: The Nissan Titan's Sales Numbers Are Alarming | MotorBiscuit

For as much as I like the Titan, as a full size truck, it's got the same issue the new Frontier is going to have: It's pretty good, but 'pretty good' isn't enough to justify its price tag. Unless Nissan can re-invent the truck, they really need to remember that they are only a backup-plan for people who don't want a Ford/Chevy/Ram.

Nissan can't just put lipstick on their old D40 (2004 Alpha-Platform) truck and expect it to be a heavy hitter, the 2022 IS the D40...which is currently ranked DEAD LAST in the Mid-Size category: Every 2021 Mid-Size Pickup Truck Ranked

I think there are a lot of Dreamers and a lot of Skeptics when it comes to how good the 2022 will actually be, when it hits showrooms. Time will only tell, but I personally think the 2022 model is going to have some problems after the initial hype dies down and the reviews come out. It's NOT enough to justify its sticker.

Now, why am I so bothered by this? Because I want to upgrade my 2015. I love my 2015, I'm now at 112,000mi and it's still great to live with, but I've outgrown it....only by a little. I don't particularly want a wide-body truck, nor do I need more tow capacity. 7,000lbs is about perfect for me. What I do need are more creature comforts and fresh takes: Power options, creative ways to haul long objects, built-in brake controller, storage boxes, auxiliary lighting, and overall, just a nice comfortable road-tripping small truck that can tow and carry 4. It seems that is where most of today's 4-door pickup trucks are aimed. I use every available storage location for most of my towing accessories, Chain, ratcheting straps, adapters, locks, keys, etc. Trust me when I say I've used every available dry space I could without sacrificing the rear seats. I have a Roll N' Lock bed cover, I still don't trust anything to last in my bed for any long periods of time.

Honestly, I've owned Nissans all of my life, I'm REALLY not into the 2022, particularly because it wouldn't be an upgrade.
I agree with pretty much everything you have stated. I had a 2016 tacoma and it was an abysmal failure in my opinion. Had so many issues with the truck that i had to sell it. Do i think the Nissan can rival the Tacoma? maybe, but for me it all depends on one thing. Pricing. Also keep in mind this new engine is not the old 4.0 VQ engine with port injection. The 3.8 is direct injected (only) which in my book is a no no , this means long term reliability is in question. Now i don't know what kind of engineering went into this new VQ 3.8 engine to mitigate the Carbon buildup but if is the same engineering that is in the current Titan engine then is not good news.
You can probably try to mitigate that by using catch cans or CRC cleaner every so many miles or simple pay the dealer to clean the valves, not a big issue but like stated before it comes down to Pricing.
The pro 4x to me is like a TRD offroad tacoma not the pro. If they price the pro4x cheaper than the TRD offroad then they could hit a home run, if they price it like the PRO then it will not sell well.
Also we have to think about something. Nissan all these years have been playing the "offer more for the price" kind of brand. and with this truck they just have to keep up on playing that card. Nissan overall sales are suffering worldwide and if they do the same they did with the Titan, pricing it similar to the Tundra and F150 then they will be shooting themselves in the foot.
For me there is no way this Pro4X should start at more than 40k , if it does then i don't see this selling at all , especially when you can get an offroad automatic TRD offroad with crawl control for 39-40 and even cheaper than that if you go Manual (which Nissan is not offering anymore)
Also we have to think about resale value on these trucks are not great so in the initial value for money investment might be good but long term not so much given that the Tacoma after 5 years holds almost 60% of its value and the current frontier only 47%

We will have to wait and see and if they price it correctly we might have a contestant if not then i don't see this truck sticking around for long especially with the new ranger coming up and Tacoma in 2024

·
Registered
178 Posts
I agree with pretty much everything you have stated. I had a 2016 tacoma and it was an abysmal failure in my opinion. Had so many issues with the truck that i had to sell it. Do i think the Nissan can rival the Tacoma? maybe, but for me it all depends on one thing. Pricing. Also keep in mind this new engine is not the old 4.0 VQ engine with port injection. The 3.8 is direct injected (only) which in my book is a no no , this means long term reliability is in question. Now i don't know what kind of engineering went into this new VQ 3.8 engine to mitigate the Carbon buildup but if is the same engineering that is in the current Titan engine then is not good news.
You can probably try to mitigate that by using catch cans or CRC cleaner every so many miles or simple pay the dealer to clean the valves, not a big issue but like stated before it comes down to Pricing.
The pro 4x to me is like a TRD offroad tacoma not the pro. If they price the pro4x cheaper than the TRD offroad then they could hit a home run, if they price it like the PRO then it will not sell well.
Also we have to think about something. Nissan all these years have been playing the "offer more for the price" kind of brand. and with this truck they just have to keep up on playing that card. Nissan overall sales are suffering worldwide and if they do the same they did with the Titan, pricing it similar to the Tundra and F150 then they will be shooting themselves in the foot.
For me there is no way this Pro4X should start at more than 40k , if it does then i don't see this selling at all , especially when you can get an offroad automatic TRD offroad with crawl control for 39-40 and even cheaper than that if you go Manual (which Nissan is not offering anymore)
Also we have to think about resale value on these trucks are not great so in the initial value for money investment might be good but long term not so much given that the Tacoma after 5 years holds almost 60% of its value and the current frontier only 47%

We will have to wait and see and if they price it correctly we might have a contestant if not then i don't see this truck sticking around for long especially with the new ranger coming up and Tacoma in 2024
Its true the loyal tacoma fans chant resale value like a mantra over and over again. However, they generally pay more or full MSRP as well. When I bought my 19 P4X with Luxury package I got the dealer to knock off 2700 off the retail price. Also they knocked off the Doc fee as well putting my discount over 3K. They also did not charge me the transfer fee from moving it from another state (by this time they were not very happy with me but it was the last day of the month and they needed a sale). Also, in the end of the day I got a much better truck. A REAL functional transmission and the legendary VQ40 motor. When I was shopping for tacoma's there was no way they would give a discount for Tacoma offroads. They pretty much get full smash in my area. And sales people were stuck up/arrogant and didn't care. When you sell quarter million trucks/year you don't have to care. And I walked. If anything, I hope the new Frontier takes a decent bite of market share from Toyota. It will do a couple of things. Allow for discounts and also force Toyota to fix the pathetic drive train and cramped cabin/seats on the third gen taco. It can happen. I've seen it before in the Fiji Islands when the Ford Ranger was killing it in sales against the Toyota Hilux. Before Toyota was able to update the HIlux the I-5 diesel Ranger completely destroyed the Hilux and everyone was buying them (including myself). Time will tell about this new Frontier.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Its true the loyal tacoma fans chant resale value like a mantra over and over again. However, they generally pay more or full MSRP as well. When I bought my 19 P4X with Luxury package I got the dealer to knock off 2700 off the retail price. Also they knocked off the Doc fee as well putting my discount over 3K. They also did not charge me the transfer fee from moving it from another state (by this time they were not very happy with me but it was the last day of the month and they needed a sale). Also, in the end of the day I got a much better truck. A REAL functional transmission and the legendary VQ40 motor. When I was shopping for tacoma's there was no way they would give a discount for Tacoma offroads. They pretty much get full smash in my area. And sales people were stuck up/arrogant and didn't care. When you sell quarter million trucks/year you don't have to care.
This was my experience many years ago getting my 08 Frontier. "This is our price take it or leave it" attitude turned me off. If that's how your sales people are I dont want to have to deal with your service people or anyone else in your company for that matter. It seems to be common across every toyota dealer I have been in and tried to deal with as well. Toyota was not even on my consideration list on this 2020 purchase.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Before I bought my Frontier I expressed interest in buying one new from the dealer. Not only were they not prepared to deal, they wanted more than the local msrp. So I bought an ultra low km 6 year old Frontier from a used car dealer and paid the bank loan off in about 15 months, all the while accessorizing it.

The last Frontier they had in inventory they were asking $4000 plus over msrp. Even so, it sold fast. Even $4K over Msrp it was still a good deal compared to a Taco from the local Toyo dealer.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Its true the loyal tacoma fans chant resale value like a mantra over and over again. However, they generally pay more or full MSRP as well. When I bought my 19 P4X with Luxury package I got the dealer to knock off 2700 off the retail price. Also they knocked off the Doc fee as well putting my discount over 3K. They also did not charge me the transfer fee from moving it from another state (by this time they were not very happy with me but it was the last day of the month and they needed a sale). Also, in the end of the day I got a much better truck. A REAL functional transmission and the legendary VQ40 motor. When I was shopping for tacoma's there was no way they would give a discount for Tacoma offroads. They pretty much get full smash in my area. And sales people were stuck up/arrogant and didn't care. When you sell quarter million trucks/year you don't have to care. And I walked. If anything, I hope the new Frontier takes a decent bite of market share from Toyota. It will do a couple of things. Allow for discounts and also force Toyota to fix the pathetic drive train and cramped cabin/seats on the third gen taco. It can happen. I've seen it before in the Fiji Islands when the Ford Ranger was killing it in sales against the Toyota Hilux. Before Toyota was able to update the HIlux the I-5 diesel Ranger completely destroyed the Hilux and everyone was buying them (including myself). Time will tell about this new Frontier.
Hilux is a bomb proof truck . At least the old ones.
I am still not convinced 100% on this 3.8 direct engine . Why did Nissan decided to go with only a direct injection instead of dual injection is the only question i would have for the engineers. The forums in the TITAN 5.6 direct injection are scary after just 30k miles

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hilux is a bomb proof truck . At least the old ones.
I am still not convinced 100% on this 3.8 direct engine . Why did Nissan decided to go with only a direct injection instead of dual injection is the only question i would have for the engineers. The forums in the TITAN 5.6 direct injection are scary after just 30k miles
The older hilux trucks road rough and were pretty smallish compared to the T6. When Toyota addressed some of that around 2014/15 their sales on the Island went back up. The Fijian government mostly uses them. Still probably the number one truck globally. Did not know about the Titan issues. My 2019 BMW X3 has a newer Valvetronic DI motor which is suppost to be allot better then the older Bimmer DI motors. I don't know much about Nissan's history with DI so I guess I won't be rushing to be an early adopter. Not good if Titan's having issues at 30K. Not good at all.

261 - 280 of 328 Posts