Nissan Frontier Forum banner

241 - 260 of 328 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Crew Cab
191 Posts
Someone else correct me but I'm pretty certain you must have leather to get the heaters, at least in the D40 generation. My Pro4 with the Value Package has both along with the embroidered logos, and the Boss has informed me that she will never approve another vehicle purchase that isn't a classic, that doesn;t have heated seats. She's quite spoiled.
My Pro-4x has cloth seats and heated seats. My 2016 and 2019 both had heated cloth seats

·
Premium Member
6,715 Posts
VTP is an option on SV only.

I'm disappointed in the hood line of these Gen3s. I dig the snub nose look of our latter Gen 2s.

·
Registered
2019, Nissan Frontier SV 4x4, Arctic Blue.
584 Posts
Someone else correct me but I'm pretty certain you must have leather to get the heaters, at least in the D40 generation. My Pro4 with the Value Package has both along with the embroidered logos, and the Boss has informed me that she will never approve another vehicle purchase that isn't a classic, that doesn;t have heated seats. She's quite spoiled.
My 19 SV has heated cloth seats.

·
Registered
889 Posts
After letting it sink in a week or so, I still like it which is good because eventually I'll want to move on from the 2nd gen.

If I designed it, I would have done things different:

-Less rear bumper. Tuck it higher up and kick the bed sides up towards the tail lights behind the rear tire.
-No plastic fender flares, I would have incorporated them into the sheet metal.
-Kept the "v notch" tail gate handle, that was a distinguishing feature of Nissan trucks for many years.
-Black interior with satin silver accents rather than piano black. A Rogue style steering wheel rather than Titan.
-Yellow accents on the Pro-4x, everyone does red/orange.
-A revised 6spd manual with a stronger clutch, nicer shifter and better reverse ratio.
-Some classic Nissan 4x4 paint colours. Canteen green, Atomic Orange, Solar Yellow, Night Armor, Metallic blue etc.
-Roof rack, but a modern version. It's another distinguishing feature that's missing.

Over all I think they have gone a bit too mainstream, a bit too safe. I've noticed a few funny things about the launch truck, the lower door jam trim is straight out of the 2nd gen.. it matches the 2nd gen lower dash panels but doesn't match the new design at all. The utilitrack seems to have been downgraded.. The Nissan Canada site says "The bed is a critical part of a truck. That’s why Frontier’s is built to last with an available spray-on bedliner. It's also ready to secure your gear with three available Utili-track channels..." I see the three along the top edge of the bed, so I guess that means the removed the only ones unique to the Frontier along the bed floor. What a stupid decision.

·
Premium Member
6,715 Posts
I read in one of the articles that the '22 will be offered in a green...though not sure as to what trim levels it will be offered.

Fwiw, the '21 Titans no longer offer Brilliant Silver or the dark green they had in years past.

Reactions: jwp1964

·
Registered
5 Posts
Honestly, if you passed up 16 years of second gen that offered a MT I doubt you would be in the market for a third gen even if they offered one. At least this is why oems are phasing them out. Demand just isn't there. Lot of people talk about getting a MT but in the end, they go for the auto. In my case, my wife does not want that.
Honestly? Just curious, how old are you Trent? You make allot of assumptions without knowing anything about me. I started out decades ago with a 1973 Datsun 620 pickup with a manual transmission, I'm guessing before you were conceived. Every vehicle I have ever owned before or since has had a manual transmission by choice, I learned to drive in one. What would make you think I would want to purchase a 2nd gen when I had a perfectly fine 1st gen? I don't buy new vehicles on a whim, I buy when my old one needs replacing. And what would make you assume I wouldn't want a 3rd gen with a manual transmission when I just got through alluding to that fact? My 1st gen is 19 years old now and starting to get a tad long in the tooth. I'm an old man set in his ways, and I would rather keep my old manual trans truck than buy a new truck with an automatic. Why is that SO difficult for you to comprehend? I do not believe you have the power of clairvoyance, no one does, and I stand by my original post. I wish you all the best son.

·
Premium Member
6,715 Posts
For those that want an automatic slush box, please step aside. Manual transmissions stir the souls of those who crave them. We willfully put up w/ them in high traffic stop&go situations...the rest is truly nirvana.

I honestly hope Nissan offers a manual transmission in the Gen 3 at some point...a nice 7-sp would fit the bill perfectly. And yeah, PLEASE FIX the RIDICULOUSLY high gear ratio in reverse that the Gen 2 6-sp's have.

Reactions: Rowerwet

·
Registered
2019, Nissan Frontier SV 4x4, Arctic Blue.
584 Posts
For those that want an automatic slush box, please step aside. Manual transmissions stir the souls of those who crave them. We willfully put up w/ them in high traffic stop&go situations...the rest is truly nirvana.

I honestly hope Nissan offers a manual transmission in the Gen 3 at some point...a nice 7-sp would fit the bill perfectly. And yeah, PLEASE FIX the RIDICULOUSLY high gear ratio in reverse that the Gen 2 6-sp's have.
At the rate they are going with fuel economy the only options they will allow you to get will be a 14 speed manual with the nice split shifter. Put the hammer down and give her hell!:ROFLMAO:
(I'd love to see someone with an off road crawl rig put one of those in it just because they can)

Though in all honesty I just don't really see it in the future. :cautious:
but only time can tell.

·
Premium Member
6,715 Posts
Unless there's some kind of a work-around, these upcoming emergency braking systems will stall a manual transmission vehicle which will likely not bode well from all safety standpoints.

·
Registered
889 Posts

Zero mention of it from Nissan and they relocated the parking brake to the kick panel. I'd think if they planned to offer a manual they would have kept it in the centre console rather than developing a whole new set of parts.

Sad to see it go. One less reason for me to buy a Frontier over say, an extended cab F-150.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Honestly? Just curious, how old are you Trent? You make allot of assumptions without knowing anything about me. I started out decades ago with a 1973 Datsun 620 pickup with a manual transmission, I'm guessing before you were conceived. Every vehicle I have ever owned before or since has had a manual transmission by choice, I learned to drive in one. What would make you think I would want to purchase a 2nd gen when I had a perfectly fine 1st gen? I don't buy new vehicles on a whim, I buy when my old one needs replacing. And what would make you assume I wouldn't want a 3rd gen with a manual transmission when I just got through alluding to that fact? My 1st gen is 19 years old now and starting to get a tad long in the tooth. I'm an old man set in his ways, and I would rather keep my old manual trans truck than buy a new truck with an automatic. Why is that SO difficult for you to comprehend? I do not believe you have the power of clairvoyance, no one does, and I stand by my original post. I wish you all the best son.
Nope. You answered my question. I knew you were older. As for me, I'm pushing sixty myself. My first car a 77 vw rabbit 4 speed and then a 79 bug rag top convertible. Then a 85 VW GTI all MT. Drove farm MT farm trucks etc.. My assumption is your old school. Won't pay big bucks for all the gismos and electronics. Anyone happy with a first gen will probably not buy ANYTHING new. I'm I right? As for me, I started out pretty rugged. But I also like new stuff and can appreciate new tech. And especially the SAFETY for crashes etc.. A first gen frontier is pretty poor. Even my 19 Pro 4X is not so great. The third gen has much better crumple zone in the front. You know what I mean?

·
Premium Member
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X 6MT (2019)
57 Posts
This response gets a yikes from me, dawg. 😅

Trent was merely stating an opinion lol and, to be honest, he's not entirely wrong. I snapped up my 6spd PRO-4X, precisely because I had a gut feeling that the manual transmission variant would be discontinued. They are sadly going out of style and we need to take it upon ourselves to preserve what we can.

·
Registered
178 Posts
This response gets a yikes from me, dawg. 😅

Trent was merely stating an opinion lol and, to be honest, he's not entirely wrong. I snapped up my 6spd PRO-4X, precisely because I had a gut feeling that the manual transmission variant would be discontinued. They are sadly going out of style and we need to take it upon ourselves to preserve what we can.
Jeep and the upcoming Bronco will offer MT. I have my doubts that toyota will offer it again on the next 4th gen tacoma. I may have considered it on my 19 Frontier but its not offered with the luxury package. Not as important to me for truck usage. But for sports cars a MT is a must. Had the 6 speed MT on my 2006 MX5. When I was looking for a MX5 most were auto's which made zero sense. The new 400 Z will have MT so NIssan made sure not to screw that one up.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Crew Cab
191 Posts
This is irrelevant to everything he said.

One out of 100 buyers wanting manual transmission is not enough incentive for a manufacturer to make that option. Even 1 in 10 is probably not enough. It's sad but true.

No need to go on a pro manual transmission rant about it. Fact is most American consumers don't want manual transmissions. I've owned both manual and automatic Pro-4x Frontiers, love them both.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Not an apologist, just realistic about the expectations of a midsize truck. I sure as hell won’t be buying one for many years, I have a nice 2017 Pro4X. As for you, I didn’t know grapes could even GET as sour as they seem to be for you.
***edited by Admin

I'll say this again, when the 2005 Frontier came out, it blew everything out of the water:
The Tacoma could only tow 3500-5000lb. Dakota: 3150-4550lb. Ranger: 1600-3220lb. Colorado: 1500-4000lb. There were forum posts arguing that the Frontier's 6500lb towing capacity was clearly a typo.
The 2005 Frontier ended up with the best looks, the best stance, the best capacities, the best crew cab interior, the best engine, the best transmission, the best power features, 4-wheel disc brakes, best 4WD system, and it was based on the Titan's Alpha platform, with a ton of carry-over features. Best of all, it undercut the entry-level price of EVERY OTHER BRAND for almost 2 decades.

Aside from looks and a good engine-trans (carryover from the D40), The 2022 really doesn't seem to have the same passion that the 2005 designers had. There is NOTHING new. NOTHING!!!! It's the same frame and body, with some new sheet metal.

The new Frontier IS DOA. It doesn't even MATCH the offerings of Chevy, Honda, Toyota, Ford, etc, and it's no longer as cheap, either, but it is certainly what you would expect from a major name brand that has been circling the drain for years.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Aside from looks and a good engine-trans (carryover from the D40), The 2022 really doesn't seem to have the same passion that the 2005 designers had.

The new Frontier IS DOA. It doesn't even MATCH the offerings of Chevy, Honda, Toyota, Ford, etc, and it's no longer as cheap, either, but it is certainly what you would expect from a major name brand that has been circling the drain for years.
That may be true. It could be DOA. But honestly with the best engine ( I still won't do GDI, but that's another story for another thread ), and probably arguably the best transmission in its class, I think it'll still sell pretty well. But guess what, you're DOA against my "It'll Probably Sell" don't mean a hill of feces, the market will do what the market's gonna do, and both of us can prognosticate til DoomsDay and it won't change squat. Either it'll do well and Nissan will carry on, or it'll go boobs up in the alley and that may be Nissan's end. We will see.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2004 crew cab only has 127,000 miles on it so I'm sure I can get another 2 or 3 years so I'll wait for the 2023 or 2024 model so Nissan can iron out some of the bugs that I'm sure it'll have. But the safety features alone in the new truck are worth it to me. I've had AEB engage twice on my VW Arteon in heavy I-70 traffic in Denver. Really great technology. And I sure won't miss the manual transmission or the crappy gas mileage that I'm currently getting.

·
Registered
178 Posts
That may be true. It could be DOA. But honestly with the best engine ( I still won't do GDI, but that's another story for another thread ), and probably arguably the best transmission in its class, I think it'll still sell pretty well. But guess what, you're DOA against my "It'll Probably Sell" don't mean a hill of feces, the market will do what the market's gonna do, and both of us can prognosticate til DoomsDay and it won't change squat. Either it'll do well and Nissan will carry on, or it'll go boobs up in the alley and that may be Nissan's end. We will see.
IMO, this truck is well positioned with the segment as it stands today. If you look at the third generation tacoma, they basically did the same keeping the same chassis and rapped it with new sheet metal. But in their case, gave it a miserable engine/transmission combo and even had a ton of issues with the akison 6 speed when it came out. And that truck sells a quarter million units a year. The third gen Frontier IMO, has a more modern chiseled front end that is the best looking in the segment currently. I don't think most buyers will be worrying too much about the DI motor. So for Nissan's sake, it better not develop issues down the road. I know this truck/motor went through allot of testing. Its too important for Nissan to gimp their best selling truck. They completely screwed up the last generation Titan and its sales are even below the Ridgeline at this point. I'm not sure how long they can stay in the full size segment.

I'm not too worried about their positioning in the next 1-1.5 years. However, seeing Ford's next gen Ranger Camo trucks driving around look like a completely new platform. Think a mini F-150. And if they shove a 2.7 eco into that its all over. Not only that, it will likely sit on the new bronco platform which also offers a 7 speed MT. Obviously the new Frontier will force Toyota to get off their lazy *** and finally address their drivetrain issues and weak cabin layout and probably put disc brakes in the back as well. But I still think Nissan has another trick up their sleeves. They know Ford/Toy are going to up their game. Looking at the picture that was posted on Nissan Nation they will most likely offer a raptor like competitor (Nismo version) with flared out fenders, and IMO a turbo/supercharged version of the 3.8. Also the new Z will hit the lots and the next gen pathfinder looks to really up the game. Especially using the ZF 9 speed. I think Nissan's is going to turn this brand around. Also their all electric suv looks very promising alternative to the tesla.

·
Registered
288 Posts
"Best" engine is still a little early to call. The new 3.8L + 9-speed seems to be getting good reviews, and it comes from a long line of good VQ engines, but the GDI is still a worry for some, and it's not to say that there are other really good engines out there in the pickup truck world...If we leave Toyota out of this conversation. Also keep in mind that the engine/trans doesn't sell the vehicle. The Tacoma sells very well. I HATE the 9-speed in the Ram 1500 (with a passion), but overall, I like the Ram.

The Frontier has always been a good value, and that's been Nissan's Ace-in-the-Hole. It's the reason the D40 lasted this long, because it's dirt cheap. I think Nissan is trying to go in another direction, which is risky. The Ranger and Colorado now undercut the Frontier's pricing....in fact, I think the Tacoma may even be undercutting the Frontier....which is just weird. If Nissan doesn't want to be the "Value Truck" anymore, then they'll really need to step up their "Premium Truck" game, just like they did with the Titan.....and that didn't go so well, either: The Nissan Titan's Sales Numbers Are Alarming | MotorBiscuit

For as much as I like the Titan, as a full size truck, it's got the same issue the new Frontier is going to have: It's pretty good, but 'pretty good' isn't enough to justify its price tag. Unless Nissan can re-invent the truck, they really need to remember that they are only a backup-plan for people who don't want a Ford/Chevy/Ram.

Nissan can't just put lipstick on their old D40 (2004 Alpha-Platform) truck and expect it to be a heavy hitter, the 2022 IS the D40...which is currently ranked DEAD LAST in the Mid-Size category: Every 2021 Mid-Size Pickup Truck Ranked

I think there are a lot of Dreamers and a lot of Skeptics when it comes to how good the 2022 will actually be, when it hits showrooms. Time will only tell, but I personally think the 2022 model is going to have some problems after the initial hype dies down and the reviews come out. It's NOT enough to justify its sticker.

Now, why am I so bothered by this? Because I want to upgrade my 2015. I love my 2015, I'm now at 112,000mi and it's still great to live with, but I've outgrown it....only by a little. I don't particularly want a wide-body truck, nor do I need more tow capacity. 7,000lbs is about perfect for me. What I do need are more creature comforts and fresh takes: Power options, creative ways to haul long objects, built-in brake controller, storage boxes, auxiliary lighting, and overall, just a nice comfortable road-tripping small truck that can tow and carry 4. It seems that is where most of today's 4-door pickup trucks are aimed. I use every available storage location for most of my towing accessories, Chain, ratcheting straps, adapters, locks, keys, etc. Trust me when I say I've used every available dry space I could without sacrificing the rear seats. I have a Roll N' Lock bed cover, I still don't trust anything to last in my bed for any long periods of time.

Honestly, I've owned Nissans all of my life, I'm REALLY not into the 2022, particularly because it wouldn't be an upgrade.

241 - 260 of 328 Posts