Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading RDFronty's post(and i few others) I finally did it myself, should never have waited to do it. The install is a little bit of a pain, but not too bad. I refused to remove the fan and shroud so that might have made it easier. All said and done, it took about 45 minutes start to finish, including refill and air bleed of the system. Now onto the results:

With the temp in the 20s-30s lately, the truck was running @ 190-192 at cruising speeds, and would jump up to 197 on long inclines(I live in the mountains), in the summer it wasnt unusual to see it hit 200-202 after a long uphill climb. At idle (about 10 minutes) it would sit at 190. After the install on the way home, it ran at 177 for almost 24 miles with one little jump to 179 for about 5 seconds. Once I hit the mountain road, it never went over 181. So she's running right in the sweet spot temp wise.

The thermostat also solved a weird little thing I've get every now and then. I noticed after running it hard(a good WOT run or whenI was messing around) when I came to a stop, the idle would be a little high @ 675 and the timing would be at 15* when usually its at 625 and 17*. I had asked [email protected] if he knew anything, and we couldnt really figure it out. If I drove normal it never happened unless it was REALLY hot out. I removed the timing advance and the problem seemed to stop or only happen rarely. I guess it was the truck cutting the timing back when it got hot, becase it does not do it now. I checked some of my datalogs from the past and it would seem it is temperature related. With the truck running at 197 and at WOT the timing would get up to 44* under first gear, then drop to 42 and would never go back to 44* even after a return to idle. Doing a datalog today, it hits 44* on back to back runs( a total of 4), and the temp never went over 182. So I guess it's happy now, as am I.

One thing to note about the thermostat in relation to the Nismo Stat. Our trucks go to full idle @ 168*, anything lower than that the idle is bumped up a little since its not reading that it is full warm. When I was coming down the mountains the temp dropped down to 172*. Another 4 degrees and the truck would be thingking it's not warmed up. So unless you live in the deep south or your modded to the hilt, I would say the normal 350Z stat is a better choice than the nismo. And just in case anyone is wondering what the Nissan part# is for the 350Z stat, it's 21200-4w01b.

Here's some specs on the stock versus 350Z stats

Valve opening Temp:
Stock: 177-182
350Z: 169-174

Max Valve lift temp:
Stock: 203
350Z: 194

Valve Closing Temp:
Stock: 171
350Z: 160

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
nice results! i have been wanting to do this but have been a lil trigger shy due to our climate. since u live very close to me, im thinking i will do this now

·
Registered
837 Posts
RedAlert, in your opinion would the 350z tstat be a good choice to swap into a vehichle that operates in a more northern, chilly climate?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Glad to see you are getting good results with the 350Z stat. I agree it's probably the best choice for most people. It's a very reasonable price and safe for anybody.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
nice results! i have been wanting to do this but have been a lil trigger shy due to our climate. since u live very close to me, im thinking i will do this now
You'll be fine. You're only like 5 miles from me, so we have the same weather all the time. The heater isnt affected much at all. You might need to keep it "one notch" higher to achieve the same heating results, but these trucks have such good heaters already, it's no big deal. I never use more than 3/4 of the temp knob anyway, unless I'm thawing the ice off. You can go right down to 23 automall and get the stat and gasket. I know they have 1 of each left. If you go down there, ask for Dave, he's a member on here and he's a great guy. the stat is 22.28 and the gasket is 3.72. If you need help putting it in, hit me with a PM, I'll be happy to help you.

RedAlert, in your opinion would the 350z tstat be a good choice to swap into a vehichle that operates in a more northern, chilly climate?
If you run around the 190 mark, yest the 350z stat would be a good choice. If you're say way up in Canada and the temps are single digits a lot of the time, yo may not want to change it at all. But if that only happens rarely, go ahead and change it

·
Registered
874 Posts
Thanks for the info, since I have the Bully Dog now I have been monitoring my temp and was not happy, running 199* @ 75mph on the hwy, just a tad warm for me!

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
You'll be fine. You're only like 5 miles from me, so we have the same weather all the time. The heater isnt affected much at all. You might need to keep it "one notch" higher to achieve the same heating results, but these trucks have such good heaters already, it's no big deal. I never use more than 3/4 of the temp knob anyway, unless I'm thawing the ice off. You can go right down to 23 automall and get the stat and gasket. I know they have 1 of each left. If you go down there, ask for Dave, he's a member on here and he's a great guy. the stat is 22.28 and the gasket is 3.72. If you need help putting it in, hit me with a PM, I'll be happy to help you.

If you run around the 190 mark, yest the 350z stat would be a good choice. If you're say way up in Canada and the temps are single digits a lot of the time, yo may not want to change it at all. But if that only happens rarely, go ahead and change it

awesome, im gonna go down there week and pick up the parts. plan on installing next saturday. thanks red!

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Thanks for the info, since I have the Bully Dog now I have been monitoring my temp and was not happy, running 199* @ 75mph on the hwy, just a tad warm for me!
You are running pretty warm, especially for winter time. You could really use a good cool thermostat.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
this is sweet, will these tstats work with the first gen? or what one would

·
Registered
837 Posts
Hmm well I do typically run in the 190 mark, but I do live in Canada and it usually gets down to -30C occasionally during the winter, but I'm betting I could just drop it a few more degrees if i just did a coolant flush/replace, and if that didn't work I could always just throw in some water wetter

1 - 12 of 12 Posts