Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone familiar with doin a 350z motor swap??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,111 Posts
Can I ask why? It is a smaller version of the motor we have.
If you swap in the VQ35 you'll likely be slower, due to the lower torque. You'd be much better off doing some n/a mods, or if you really want power get the stillen supercharger, it will still be cheaper and MUCH simpler than a motor swap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,688 Posts
to much of a pain in the *** and not really worth it. im doing a 350 swap here in the next couple years. and i promis it will destroy any 350z out there lol.

and like he said u want to stick with truck motors so you get the torque.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,551 Posts
the VQ35DE is a car motor and wont really be that great for your truck though I've always wanted to see a truck with a SR20DET. Should be a little cheeper and you can make some good hp out of it. But for a motor swap for a truck, stoker 350 ie a 383 is a much better motor for a truck and its a lot cheeper plus there are cheeper parts for it too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,111 Posts
Irongrave said:
But for a motor swap for a truck, stoker 350 ie a 383 is a much better motor for a truck and its a lot cheeper plus there are cheeper parts for it too.
Just remember that the donor engine needs to come from a vehicle of the same model year or newer than the vehicle the engine is going into for it be registered.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,688 Posts
stevet47 said:
Just remember that the donor engine needs to come from a vehicle of the same model year or newer than the vehicle the engine is going into for it be registered.
not in all states, and it depends what year the vehical is. if the vehical is some what older it doesnt matter, if its a brand spankin new car yeah it matters. in oregon anyway. of course all states are different. my 95 4runner has a chevy 350 in it out of a older vette. and its still street legal. and im pretty sure when i drop in the 350 into my frontier i wont have any problems with registering it either.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,985 Posts
FindingNismo said:
im doing a 350 swap here in the next couple years. and i promis it will destroy any 350z out there lol.
I won't say ANY..maybe the stock ones..the modded ones however, that all depends.



IMO I don't see the point in going through the trouble of putting a Z motor into a truck..if you want a Z engine why not just get a Z??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,458 Posts
sexy6chick said:
I won't say ANY..maybe the stock ones..the modded ones however, that all depends.



IMO I don't see the point in going through the trouble of putting a Z motor into a truck..if you want a Z engine why not just get a Z??

i think i am going to go get some Z's. good night everyone. or, good morning to you all that are going to work.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
19,634 Posts
The difference between a 3.5 VQ 350Z engine and 4.0 VQ as far as torque goes isn't that much. 2007 350Z 306HP @ 6,800 rpm 268 lb-ft of torque @ 4,800 rpm. 2007 Frontier 4.0 261HP @ 5,600 rpm 281 lb-ft of torque @ 4,000 rpm. The 2.5 Frontier engine only puts out 154HP @ 5,200 rpm and 173 lb-ft of torque @ 4400 rpm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
350z

the thing most of you need to remember is this is the 1st gen hangout so we dont have the 4.0 the 3.3 is the biggest we got. Also you guys arwe mentioning torque and it all depends on what type of truck you are looking for. For a street truck the 350z motor would work well.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
19,634 Posts
RLMclaughlin said:
the thing most of you need to remember is this is the 1st gen hangout so we dont have the 4.0 the 3.3 is the biggest we got. Also you guys arwe mentioning torque and it all depends on what type of truck you are looking for. For a street truck the 350z motor would work well.
I don't see why it wouldn't work. It certainly should outperform a 4 banger at the least. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
I would be swaping it into a 4 banger. I had also thought about the 350small block drop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,551 Posts
most times its the other way around with swaps. In my grassroots motor sports they have a feature car. 510 with a pathy VQ33 becasue of the torque.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
305 Posts
This thread is 13 years old, but if it were me, I'd go KA turbo, swap out the long block with a built s14 KA for forced induction and let the truck rip with 800+ rwhp! In 2007 though, SR20 swaps were the rage. Then it wasn't until like 201X when KA-Ts were really popular and got a huge following.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Back when I was still working on Nissans we did have a customer that managed to get a manual VQ35HR running in his 2002 Frontier. It looked and drove amazing but he was having issues with the intake temperatures and air flow meter signals being a little iffy with the location of the intake pipes. Maybe one of these days I should follow up with him.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top