Nissan Frontier Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X
197 Posts
I live in Southern Utah and I go to Salt Lake every year for FanX. I'm going from 2700' above sea level to 4200' above sea level. And there are several mountain passes that you have to take, ranging from 5800' to 6600'. I'm lucky if I get 15.5 mpg.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Towed our 2000ish pound travel trailer on interstate and small state highways, up and down the Alleghenies, and got about 12 mpg on every tank. Unlatched the trailer, unloaded the cargo, puttered around some more highways and off-road and got 16 mpg.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
It's done just a tad shy of 16 on previous trips.

This is the first time I didn't stop any place along the way to buy food, ice and brews - Stocked up beforehand, and then drove non-stop.

No cruise control (IMO, it's too aggressive about wanting to keep the exact set speed), and I let the speed slide a bit on "hills" (mostly just overpasses) - No extra throttle unless the speed dropped below 60 uphill, and no less throttle unless it got over 70 downhill.
I found manually shifting on hills to help as well. I just watch the tach to keep the R's consistent.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
^Maybe anyone denying that more than 13 is possible is trying to talk to their wife about what great ideas that huge trailer, oversized tires and towing at 85 MPH in mountainous terrain are...

My particular truck gets well over 17 MPG driving solo on flat highway.

I'm not claiming that adding a trailer improves it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have 14 crew cab. Running interstate speeds in South Dakota, 80mph. Towing a 1k lb teardrop camper, all I could get was 13mpg! Normally I m getting 16 to 17mpg! Once I got into Minn, which is 70mph, back to 16mpg! Normal driving at 55/60mph, I've seen 21mpg!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
‘22 CC Red Alert 4x4 S
34 Posts
Which is it?
The dash display never lies.
The dash display always lies.

Heck, even hand calculated fuel economy can lie when one has over-/under-filled the tank.
If you’re hand calculating it should be spot on accurate. I reset my trip meter (not the computer average display crap) on every fill up. Whatever your miles on that trip was when you fill up to pump stopping is how much gas you used on that trip. Divide the miles by the gallons the pump says and that’s your mpg. How can it be off?

Here was when I first got mine. I kept it under 2k RPM the ride back (as much as I could) and drafted semis in the left lane taking our time the whole way back. Especially since I figured she was technically still being broken in. I thing the 9 speed makes a huge difference to anyone saying theirs doesn’t get as good of mpg. All this data in that post was based mostly on the computer with some spot checks manually.

·
Premium Member
8,412 Posts
Divide the miles by the gallons the pump says and that’s your mpg. How can it be off?
By slightly overfilling the previous tank coupled w/ slightly underfilling the next fill-up (or vise-versa)...the numbers will be fudged to a degree. Whutevuh.

Better yet, average out your 10+ previous tanks for a more accurate overall avg.

I'm a yuuuge proponent of NOT believing the dash/OBD displayed MPGs. Mine has lied to me for the last 86K miles by 2.2 MPGs.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Just when i think my truck get terrible mileage...this makes me feel better!

I end up doing a lot of around town, so 13-14mpg is common. Towing the camper, 10mpg is where it's at. Towing a 5x8 utility trailer with gate ramp, low teens on the highway. Just is what it is.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
By slightly overfilling the previous tank coupled w/ slightly underfilling the next fill-up (or vise-versa)...the numbers will be fudged to a degree. Whutevuh.

Better yet, average out your 10+ previous tanks for a more accurate overall avg.

I'm a yuuuge proponent of NOT believing the dash/OBD displayed MPGs. Mine has lied to me for the last 86K miles by 2.2 MPGs.
I think I've mentioned it before but the dash mpg does not come from OBD. My Maestro mpg was always inaccurate. My dash number was always accurate up to within 0.5 mpg. I think the OBD data like what you see from the Maestro is more theoretical than anything.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts