Nissan Frontier Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,412 Posts
While Mythbusters says tonneau covers don't help fuel economy, I can see how having one 'might' help usher airflow when towing.

Reactions: Grampy Matt

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Drive by there all the time, and always wondered about them. Do you like it?
Yes, it's well-made (even though it was built in the middle of the COVID shutdowns when the build quality of the typical RV got even worse than it normally is), and is relatively inexpensive by current standards (around $26K, nicely equipped).

I went halfsies with a relative on buying it, so we both ended up with 50% ownership of a brand-new trailer for around $13K apiece.

It's made of two fiberglass moldings (top and bottom), riveted together in the middle (which is the only seam) - not much chance for leaks, and not much upkeep.

The inside is tiny, but it's completely self-contained - has a built-in toilet and shower with decent sized holding tanks.

If it was wrecked or stolen tomorrow, I'd have another one on order by the end of the week.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 19 Pro4x gets 18.1 but it takes some finesse driving. Driving posted speed limits on surface roads, 60-65 mph on the highway 1 car length for every 10 mph, looking up the road to anticipate traffic light timing. Letting the speeders go by so they can make it to the red light up ahead, most importantly good music on the radio!

·
Premium Member
2012 CC "S" 4x4
942 Posts
Not towing but I get 15 mpg here in California, and when I go to Idaho, I get 19 mpg in Oregon, 17 mpg in Washington and Idaho. When towing my 4000lb, 21' TT my lowest, 7 mpg and my best 14 mpg. So Skibane I believe you brother.

Reactions: Skibane

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've never owned a 4X4 so I can only say that from what I have read over the years, the 2WD models surely do better that most of the 4X4 models and when under a load even better. I did as someone said about using 93 octane when towing, I did find that helpful on my last 3 SV 4.0L engines when towing on a hot day here in Florida as sometimes the would start pinging under load. Usually I could get away with using 89/90 mid grade octane. My 2022 hasn't any of those problems yet, but now I changed boats from 3200 lbs to 1050 lbs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Over 160 miles of flat Texas interstate this week.

In 100 degree heat, with the A/C running full-time.

(Yes, I'm bragging - I'm proud of my baby!)
I thought it was just ME?! My '19 Frontier got better gas mileage loaded and pulling a trailer (1400#) in TX 100F+, than the return trip minus 1400#(y)🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have the 2wd 2022 SV. Tow a 20ft travel trailer weighing Approx 3400# loaded and never get above 12.5mpg at best. This is interstate or secondary roads. I never drive above 62mph towing on interstate. I do keep truck in tow mode limited to 7th gear to prevent constant hunting by transmission.

·
Registered
2022 Nissan Frontier CC 4x4
929 Posts
I towed a 2900 pound pontoon boat last weekend on a 4 hour round trip and got a hand calculated 9 miles per gallon at 65 miles per hour so I'm calling BS on nearly 20 MPG claims. Not even close if you're towing.

·
Premium Member
8,412 Posts
Which is it?
The dash display never lies.
The dash display always lies.

Heck, even hand calculated fuel economy can lie when one has over-/under-filled the tank.

·
Registered
2022 Frontier SV 4X4
403 Posts
The hills here kill our towing mileage.
This is the biggest thing right here. In Texas, it's flat for miles and miles. A hill for us is maybe a 50' rise in elevation. These trucks do great towing on flat land and I too have gotten great mileage towing a 4500# load.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Hills def kill our mpgs.... heading back down from Tahoe will get me way better mileage than going up 5k' ..... some of the inclines in CA can get kinda steep

Reactions: Grampy Matt
21 - 40 of 51 Posts