Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks. It's been awhile since I posted and I'll spare you excuses.

Anyway, I've decided to do some of the 30K maintenance myself. Replace the transmission fluid and differential oil. I have the factory service manual on .PDF and it looks pretty straight foreword. If you have any warnings or heads up to offer they're kindly accepted.

The only question I have is on the drain plugs. It says, "don't reuse the washers or seals?" I've reused the copper one on my engine oil drain plug and never had a problem. Are these rubber or a special washer?

It's a 2006 Frontier XE, manual trans, 2 wheel drive.

Thanks ahead of time and keep safe.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
They are just aluminum washers. Personally I change them and the motor oil ones everytime I change the fluid while others don't. It is up to you.

Only word of advice is to make sure you use the correct fluid in each part.

Lastly, don't go cheap on the fluid either. Since you are doing the work yourself, take the saved money and re-invest some of it back into better fluid that will outlast the cheap stuff. Kinda like using synthetic motor oil when doing your own oil changes then taking it to a mech and pay the same and only get dino oil.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks dubie2003,

I've bought the fluids. I bought the trans fluid directly from the dealership because I couldn't find anything rated G-4. The differential fluid will be Royal Purple.

Two questions. I want to go ahead and replace the washers. The drain and refill plug on the trans take a 10mm hex bit. The drain plug on the differential takes a 10mm hex bit also. What size washers do I need for these three drain/fill plugs?

What size hex bit do I need to remove the differential fill plug?

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
I just purchased the washers from the dealer so I am not sure the size. Actually the parts guy was confused and stated there were no washers until he printed the exploded view and I pointed at it for him, lol.

I think the hex bits are something like 12mm or 14mm. They sell a 3 pack at autozone that had the correct size. It is also in a post somewhere here. You can also get a larger set at HarborFreight that will have all the bits you need.

Ohh, I forgot to mention that you don't need to exactly TQ the plugs down but its always good practice to follow proper TQ specs.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks again,

I was just looking at the factory manual and it has these numbers for the filler plug.

" 49 (5.0, 36) "

edit: Yes, the differential filler plug is a 14mm hex bit and they sell a set of three sizes at AutoZone. I've tried to get washers for these drain/fill plugs but haven't been successful.

UPDATE

That was just to easy folks. So easy a caveman could do it. Obama and the entire Senate could do it, and they're all idiots!

Again, this is for a 2006 Frontier XE, 5 speed manual trans. If that's what your Fronty is, and if it's a white one, you have my truck, or I have yours LOL.

I changed the trans and differential oils. The trans requires a 10mm hex bit to remove/replace the drain and refill plugs. The differential requires a 10mm hex bit for the drain plug and a 14mm hex bit for the refill plug. You'll also need some RTV Silicone "Ultra Grey" to seal the differential refill plug when you replace it. I couldn't find washers for the 10mm plugs so I reused them. They appeared to be in new condition anyway. I didn't torch any of the plugs, but be careful on the 2 trans plugs. It's an aluminum transmission.

The hex bits can be bought at Sears if you have a hard time finding them. I also bought a cheap oil, hand pump. It screws on to a gallon or quart jug and I believe you'll need it or something similar to pump the oil up into the trans refill hole. I didn't need the hand pump for the differential, the refill hole is high and obstruction free enough to refill directly from the quart bottle.

I bought the trans oil directly from the dealership because I read some warnings about using anything other then the GL-4. The factory service manual calls for 75W-85 GL-4. All I could find were GL-5 and multi purpose GL-3 to GL-5. You'll need 6 1/8 pints or three whole quarts to refill it. The dealership charged $9.99 per quart.

The differential calls for Synthetic 75W-90 GL-5. And that's exactly what "Royal Purple" is. You'll need 3.38 pints or roughly 1 and 1./2 quarts. Dip your finger in the refill hole to detect when the differential is full. The oil should be about 3/4 of an inch below the refill hole to be full.

That's it. It wasn't messy, all of the drain/fill plugs came off and went on easily. And I saved myself about $200. The best part is, I did it myself and did it as right as rain.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am a tech for Nissan and I own a 08 frontier SE 4cyl, 5spd. My tip to you. Always change the oil drain plug washer or you will develop a leak.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I am a tech for Nissan and I own a 08 frontier SE 4cyl, 5spd. My tip to you. Always change the oil drain plug washer or you will develop a leak.
Presume you're talking about the crankcase drain plug and I concur. I've noticed some on this forum say they reuse this part, but it's a crush-type washer and is intended for one use and one use only.

·
Registered
52 Posts
after reading this tread i went and took a look at my tranny just to see what would need to be done to change my fluid....and i really could see where the fill point is... dose anyone know?

i have a 2006 xe auto...

TIA

1 - 9 of 9 Posts