Nissan Frontier Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts
The quoted post is a little mis-leading. To use the 1" spacer, you will need longer studs. If you try and use a 1" adapter, you won't be able to fit the rims since the oem lugs are just over 1.25" long.

I have another question thou, are you trying to put those wheels on stock rims? Doesn't the Pro have 16s?

Lastly, just remember when you increase the size of the tire, you are adding weight and most likely diameter so you may need to look into gearing to correct for this but its not an easy thing on the 2nd gens.
Anybody else ever checked this about the wheel studs being just over 1.25"

Attachments

Discussion starter · #22 ·
no but do you know any company that sells hardened studs for this truck?

I am sure there are some available, they are a standard size but I have not seen any saying specifically for our trucks. Based on what I have for studs on my truck I know I can use a 1" spacer and talked to Fred Goeske and he said 1" will work but it is close.

let me ask you this if I put a 17x9 wheel on the truck with a 5" backspacing with a 6" lift I should be able to clear a 35x 12.5" tire, correct? Doughboys done it?
I am at 6" with 5.25 BS on a 17 x 8.5 295/70-17 and still rub slightly, I think you may need 6" suspension and maybe BL. Just Saying

Discussion starter · #24 ·
Has anyone checked out the Xd series addict in 17"? do they come with a 5" backspacing does anyone know?

Did I miss something or isnt 305/65/17 a 32.6" diameter (eg. 33")
Will fit Stock Height in the rear and with a 2" lift up front with incidental rubbing.
May require removal of front mud flaps and air dam.

Discussion starter · #30 · (Edited)
See now that looks good with a small tire but it would rub everywhere with a 35x 12.5

I know exactly what you are saying but if you have a 17x9" wheel with 5" backspacing that seems to be the best setup cause you can clear a 35" tire with a six inch lift with no problem. And you could go to a 35 x 12.5 but you have to do some trimming

A 17 x 9 wheel with 5" backspacing is still going to push the wheel about 2" further out than factory not including the width of the tire, I am not even that far and still just about rub with a 6" lift and 33's with more than 5" of backspace. Htown's truck running the 35's has 8" of lift just for example and have no clue what his wheels specs are.

I am not saying it cant be done and it has but with more work than some care to do, especially cutting fenders or bumpers

Discussion starter · #32 ·
I understand that but where is he rubbing on the inner fenderwell or on the outer. you have to push the wheel out in order to clear the tire but when you do that you will rub on the outer. so you have to pic the lesser of two evils. You are better off trimming a little off the inner fenderwell than the tire rubbing on the frame where you can do anything.

The further out from stock you push the tire will increase the chances of rubbing the tire on the actual fender right at the bottom where the mudflaps would be, pushing the wheel however will stop the tire from hitting the frame and the spindle but then you have to deal with the fender and the bumper at that point, don't care about the plastic inner fender liner cause that can be manipulated to where it needs to be, it is the metal fender that you would need to trim that some people wouldn't want to do. the other thing to be concerned with is the amount of power that you lose with the bigger tires and the fact that your economy will drop immensely. I have LT295/70-17 on mine and was averaging 14 mpg, I do a lot of highway driving and the truck downshifts constantly trying to keep up with the cruise. It is a truck, I modded it, I will live with it! With 35's it will just be worse.

I guess the big question is... are you ready to lift 8" to maybe clear and are you willing to cut your fenders if not??? Next Q would be is it a DD and are you willing to have much less power and terrible gas mileage?

Cutting the fender is not a big deal. You just have to put your purse down and cut about an inch of the bottom.

Discussion starter · #36 ·
Thank you! I am glad somebody said it!! LOL Mike what do you think 35 x 12.5 on a 17x9 with a 5" backspacing you think I will rub the frame on full lock

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.