Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking around for exhaust setup for a while now. Im wondering, is the exhaust backpressure an issue as far as a 3" catback goes?
(hp loss)

Would it be best to stick with stock pipes and get a better y pipe or go with the 3" and y pipe?

advice for getting pipes?

I have decided that I want to do a catback setup with a borla xr-1 oval muffler.

I also want to have the exhaust exit in front of the passenger rear wheel.

Comments?

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I have been looking around for exhaust setup for a while now. Im wondering, is the exhaust backpressure an issue as far as a 3" catback goes?
(hp loss)

Would it be best to stick with stock pipes and get a better y pipe or go with the 3" and y pipe?

advice for getting pipes?

I have decided that I want to do a catback setup with a borla xr-1 oval muffler.

I also want to have the exhaust exit in front of the passenger rear wheel.

Comments?
you can go as big as you want in back. cat forward is where you need to be smart on pipe size. too big and flow starts tumbling instead of flowing.

i would get a bigger y pipe made. around 2.25" and get rid of the secondary cats replace with a 2-2.25" pipe.

as far as the exit goes. thats the worst place to put it. it will get smashed all to hell off road. or i guess if you dont off road then it will be alright.

dont go stock, get rid of that kitchen sink piping

·
Registered
100 Posts
I went with the Gibson cat back a few years ago... swapped out their 3 inch muffler with a Flowmaster 40s Delta flow... a bit too loud... Kind of wish I would have went the JBA piping, smaller over all... 3 inch is too big...Unless you run your truck at 3k plus, try to stick with the 2 1/2 inch piping. You'll like the power better in the lower RPM's.... Y-pipe is a must though. Don't now why Magnaflow or Dynomax didn't offer this set up. I would have gotten one of them instead.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can only get the muffler as far as I know, from Borla.

Where can I find a really nice y pipe with a nice price tag?

I need to find a place to get pipes for a reasonable price if I go for the 3".

still not sure what size I want yet. I think Im leaning towards the 3"

Where could I find good 3" pipes for a good price?

(looking at $162 for the muffler) 12" x 4 1/2" x 7 7/8" oval 3" in 3" out

1 - 4 of 4 Posts