Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious if the VQ38DD's water pump is driven by the timing chain like the 4.0L was. Based on what I can see on the engine, there's no removable cover plate for the chain driven water pump, nor a removable cover for the tensioner like you can see on the VQ40DE. There is a serpentine belt driven pulley in that same area on the 3.8L, but it looks like an idler pulley.

Sorry if I missed this discussion elsewhere. Couldn't find anything.

· Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess we're still hanging out in the unknown category..

Based on the pics of the p/n, I can't tell if it's driven by a belt or a chain..

· Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like belt
That's what I would have thought too, then you see a pic like this borrowed from clubxterra with all the accessories stripped off and I'm wondering if the WP is behind that coolant outlet to the mid right.

· Registered
11 Posts
Based on pictures I've found online of the VQ38DD it appears it's in the same place in the block behind the timing cover as before, they just got rid of the little access holes. So changing the water pump will be significantly more involving, though luckily there's no fan or clutch to deal with so that'll help some.

· Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Based on pictures I've found online of the VQ38DD it appears it's in the same place in the block behind the timing cover as before, they just got rid of the little access holes. So changing the water pump will be significantly more involving, though luckily there's no fan or clutch to deal with so that'll help some.
It sure does appear that way from what I can decipher from pics and from trying to see anything under the hood of my 2022. The whole timing cover has to come off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts