Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just test drove an 05 Xterra SE 4WD W/46K, I had no idea the world of a difference in power and just over all everything, between the general 1st generation and 2nd generation of these rigs. More than impressed.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota 4runner TRDOR
4,593 Posts
oh yea...
I have a gen 1 truck and a gen 2 X. the X has more power, better fuel mileage, but I find the gen 1 more comfortable on long trips.

·
Registered
854 Posts
yeah we got the vroom vroom .. you got the bulletproof drivetrain... Its time for a 3rd gen with both......

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
it amazes me how bullet proof the 3.3/TX10 is

i had a hole in my block when i first got my truck, it was partially cracked as well... it would spew oil (i mean spew, every 3 to 4 miles we had to fill er up with oil) but it drove the 35 mile trip back home when i got it (the cost of towing a vehicle is outrageous here)

a good 30 foot trail of smoke followed us too (sorry EPA), but you know what, you had to REALLY try to kill that SOB, once we had a new engine on order, i just turned it on and let it run (still spewing oil) it took 2 and a half hours till it locked up, i was impressed

i just think its reliability is because of how simple the motor is, 2 cams, 2 valves per cylinder, a block and pistons... todays VQ is so much more complicated

·
Registered
29 Posts
I agree with everything fusionfronty said. Bulletproof drivetrain as long as you keep up on maintenance.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
oh yes i love the vq40. your gaining 100 horses between the two

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
i had a 2000 xterra, i loved it, but it was definitely gutless. my 2nd gen frontier has more power than I need. it's been just as reliable as my xterra too, though I have yet to hit 25k on it.

·
Registered
8,742 Posts
my gen 1 puts close to 230 hp out, so its not a 100 hp gain.
you made 210 stock and thats with a properly working knock sensor. and premium fuel.
ok, so thats 55HP. (both trucks initially were measured with the old SAE standard, and under that standard the VQ40 put out 265HP)
oh and thats before they stick a supercharger on the VQ.

So....yeah....dont even try. lol

·
Registered
578 Posts
I'd rather have a bulletproof motor over something that has a bit more power any day.

·
Registered
578 Posts
The numbers may show just a bit more power, but in all honesty, it really is night and day.
Yeah my mom has an 06 and its a pretty big difference, but overall I'd still rather have a bulletproof 3.3

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'd rather have a bulletproof motor over something that has a bit more power any day.
I agree completely.

Plus with all the money I'm saving by not having to fix a second gen every other week I can just buy a car and kick both trucks a$$ :thebirdman:

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
stock to stock its damn near 100 your obviously SC so your in no comparison to a NA NA engine.

nitewulfs puttin out over 400 with his 3.3L and 349 with the pathy so hes got you all beat

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
210 new is a long way from 230 but yeah, it's not 100hp gain by swapping, more than 50 but there's a gain in weight too.

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
i drove a 05 frontier and an 06 xterra and the vq40 is a power house, but with all these timing chain guides being junk and some resulting in a engine replacement i am VERY happy with my "weak" vg33.

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
says the guy with the 3.3 but the 4.0 isnt nearly as problem infested as reading posts here may lead you to believe. myself, I'll take the power thanks.

·
Registered
578 Posts
says the guy with the 3.3 but the 4.0 isnt nearly as problem infested as reading posts here may lead you to believe. myself, I'll take the power thanks.
Yeah I know my mom has an 06 with the 4.0 and it has been reliable and the truck has been great, but I still deem my 3.3 to be more reliable.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts