Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at replacing my bad tranny in my 05 nismo 4x4.. I found a trans locally with low kms but it is off a 2wd frontier.. Will this trans work or do I have to get a 4wd model? I have good mecahnical knowledge but I dont have any experience with 4wd systems. thanks

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This article seems to suggest that you can use a 2wd transmission. You will have to do some work to unbolt and swap tail sections. Also the valve body on the 4wds has different shift points. Can swap that out too or buy new.

4x4 transmission vs 4x2 transmisssion - Page 2 - Nissan Xterra Forum

I think the RE4R01A trans is for the 1st gen frontiers.. and that is what they seem to be referring too. RE5R05A is the one from the 05+ IIRC.. I have read somewhere that either the input or output shaft has to be changed but I am not sure and I need clarification. I am not going to drop money on a 2wd trans if I am not sure what needs to be done.. It is a really good deal hence the post

·
Registered
27 Posts
The tail shaft housing and tail shaft needs to be swapped to bolt to the transfercase and work. The 2wd trans may shift different due to different springs and programing but overall should work

1 - 8 of 8 Posts