Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at running 35s on my 09 2wd SE. I understand that I will encounter a huge loss in power moving to 35s and will really need to regear my c200k to a 4.10 at least (I think my research is correct?)

I guess my question begins with, is it possible to run 35s with only 6 inches of lift?
Is it possible/advisable to put off the regear for a couple of months after the 35s?
Is it really worth it? (should I just go with 33s and call it a day?)

My truck is only a mall crawler and wont see anything more than a dirt road. I just like the look of a beefy truck. Ive tried finding some posts on here that cover this topic but can't find anything that addresses my 2wd situation.

I have a spindle/spacer lift and am looking at buying the Level 8 Tracker Pro and Cooper MTPs.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
I think 4:11 will be the minimum for pulling 35s.
4:56 would be better but not sure they are available for the c200k.
The ring and pinion gear is around $600,not sure how much a rebuild kit is ($170 for a m226).
Are you capable of doing the work yourself?If not, probably another $500 in labor.
Is it worth it?,depends on you.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
find a rear axle from a manual 4 cyl second gen and it will have 4.083 gears in it. almost 4.1 and can likely be had fairly cheap.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Anyone and there dog can run 33"'s on a frontier easy. If you want bragging rights on a Frontier think bigger... but that's just me...

I would check out an online gear calculator to see where your rpm would be with your tire size and speed first. That should give you an idea of the best gear ratio for your combo.

I ran 4:10's with 32's on my old ranger and it worked really well for my needs but It was also 100 hp down on the frontier, now my 3.36 and 33's are adequate sorta I guess and I would probably try a 315/75R16 tire on my truck without a gear change, but I'd definitely be thinking a regear could be in order.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
GMK14 I would check out an online gear calculator to see where your rpm would be with your tire size and speed first. That should give you an idea of the best gear ratio for your combo. I ran 4:10's with 32's on my old ranger and it worked really well for my needs but It was also 100 hp down on the frontier said:
Sounds like you are not concerned with performance .
4:11 will probably be ok.
I have 3:69 gears,with 265/75r/16's and the gearing is inadequate for my needs.
I have 4:11's and master rebuild kits waiting to be installed when I am well enough.
I would have preferred 4:56 but they don't make make them for a 180 diff. Maybe then,I would go to a taller tire.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Sounds like you are not concerned with performance .
4:11 will probably be ok.
I have 3:69 gears,with 265/75r/16's and the gearing is inadequate for my needs.
I have 4:11's and master rebuild kits waiting to be installed when I am well enough.
I would have preferred 4:56 but they don't make make them for a 180 diff. Maybe then,I would go to a taller tire.
The 4. 10/32" combo put my rpms back to where they were with the factory 3.27/235-75R15 combo, it was good for highway and daily driving but certainly didn't offer that extra low end performance. I felt 4.56 would have been to deep for a daily driver.

That said I can defiantly appreciate how the needs for a Baja race truck would be different than your average truck lol.

·
Registered
49 Posts
From someone currently running 35s... I've been running them for close to 2 years now with no issues. I am closer to 7" of lift in the front and 5" in the rear. The biggest thing that I could recommend is the titan swap. Doing the titan swap will stop the upper control arms from hitting the coil bucket. I skipped this step initially and ended up straight snapping one of my upper control arm. I have yet to regear and haven't suffered all that much. I do have a few performance upgrades to help; intake, exhuast, tuner. I recommend regearing for obvious reasons but you can survive without for a while. A good amount of trimming was also involved!

·
Premium Member
7,856 Posts
All it really boils down to is; How bad do you want to run 35s? Sure, anyone can do it with 7+" of lift but no need for that much lift if you're willing to leave enough fender on the floor. Yes, it's worth it if you wheel or if you just want bragging rights.
Yes, you can run them on stock gears but you will take a serious hit in performance and mileage. It takes LOTS of bolts on mods to compensate for 35s, even including re-gearing.
I'm currently running 35s and 4:10s on my '14 Pro-4 5AT with just about every bolt on mod you can do short of a SC. At 80mph (corrected) I'm at just over 2750 RPMs and right back to about stock performance.
BTW, I'm also running the Level 8 Bully Pros.

Reactions: J11PRO4X

·
Premium Member
6,062 Posts
From someone currently running 35s... I've been running them for close to 2 years now with no issues. I am closer to 7" of lift in the front and 5" in the rear. The biggest thing that I could recommend is the titan swap. Doing the titan swap will stop the upper control arms from hitting the coil bucket. I skipped this step initially and ended up straight snapping one of my upper control arm. I have yet to regear and haven't suffered all that much. I do have a few performance upgrades to help; intake, exhuast, tuner. I recommend regearing for obvious reasons but you can survive without for a while. A good amount of trimming was also involved!
How helpful is the Bullydog I see in your sig? How do you configure it for best results?
Leaving room for error, I would be inclined to think a BD would be most useful for a stock/OEM configured engine/gearing/tire size?
TIA

·
Registered
49 Posts
How helpful is the Bullydog I see in your sig? How do you configure it for best results?
Leaving room for error, I would be inclined to think a BD would be most useful for a stock/OEM configured engine/gearing/tire size?
TIA
It makes a huge difference! Where I notice it the most is shift times and air intake management. On the premium tune it allows the truck to stay in gear just a little longer to hold momentum through the shift cycles. The biggest is the air intake management. When I was on stock with the Volant intake it would almost seem like it was not getting enough fuel at higher RMP and almost stutter. When running the premium tune with premium gas it doesn't have this issue. I am also still getting decent gas mileage at 17mpg.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts