Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a Lift kit for my little Frontier.
I have a CDN military trailer that hauls my camping gear ect ... and want a bit of ground clearance.

The Truck is my daily driver, don't want to effect that too much, and the Truck isn't going to see "major offroad trails" just a bit of off trail use.

Cheers
ReD

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Its the same suspension as the v6 models. The only difference is the wheels are 15” instead of 16” . When I had my king cab S I ran a strut top spacer and any block or aal for a frontier will work.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
assume the truck in your avatar is not yours. Though the suspension is the same the spring rate is different and thus it sits alot lower. If you swap in some take off 4wd shock/springs it will lift your truck as well as making the ride rougher. Just another option.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Honestly.. I don't really know? I find this topic of tire/rim sizing to be confusing..

I know when looking for different rim options they're is way more of a selection if you move up to a 16 or 17.

What I would like to do is, give the Truck a bit more stance and fill up the wheel well
(100% cosmetic) add a leveling or small lift kit ??? Is that needed???

It is what it is... A simple 4cyl/2wd base truck but want to have some fun and enjoy it as a daily driver.

·
Premium Member
7,489 Posts
Prolly crossed your mind, but Gen 2s are a lot of truck for a 4cyl...and taller than stock tires will make it that much more challenged especially at hwy speeds in the hills. Auto or manual trans?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's what I was wondering as well. Can the little 4bannger handle the larger rolling wheel mass over the long haul?

I couldn't get a Manual Trans. They are not available in Canada... Did they Discontinue it all of North America??

·
Premium Member
7,489 Posts
There's the mass and there's the lower RPMs at a given speed from having a taller tire. Regearing your diff would compensate...and being 4x2 makes the job easier since you have no front diff.

A great resource:

https://ppg.nissanproduct.info

You'll need to plug in year & model.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Are you dead set on getting new wheels. Since you mentioned that you have 15" wheels I would assume that you have a "S" model with the 235/75R15 tires. For ease of discussion I converted those to diameter and width in inches: 29x9.25". If you don't know about tire sizing the 235 is width in mm. The 75 is % of the width in sidewall height. 15" is the wheel diameter. THe SV 4x2 4 cylinder comes with 265/70r16 or 31x10.5, which I quite a jump. I am not sure if the rear axle gearing is different to handle that increase in size tire.

If I had your truck, I would buy some OEM take off alloy 16" rims. This way you don't mess with offset and you know the tires will fit and not rub. For tire size I would select something in the 30x9.5 range. Then add a 2" front spacer lift and call it a day.

·
Premium Member
7,489 Posts
Will add that 'some' 16"+ aftermarket wheels do not clear our brake calipers, so spacers might be needed. Since you're a 4cyl, this 'may' not apply?! IOW, this is not an easy plug&play. Like Nissan4Life suggested, OEM 16"-18" wheels will work well as far as clearing brake calipers w/ a doable offset.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
WoW you guys act fast!! Great info much appreciated!
Ok, so OEM Frontier 16/17" 4x4 Rims will work with no headaches are issues..
I will definitely look into that!! Might not be easy to find stock 4x4 Rims??

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
depends on what year the pathfinder is from. The Gen 2 (2005+) Frontiers all run the same bolt pattern. The 2wd gen1s had a 5 bolt while the 4wd had a 6. The 6x114.3 means 6 bolts on a 114.3mm (4.5") bolt circle pattern. The standard use to be 6x5.5". But nissan swapped to a smaller hub so that they can share parts with their cars (jsut drill a different hole pattern as most of the cars are 5 bolts).

The offset is different between the 15 and the 16 to accommodate the different width tires. But you should be fine running the 4wd 16" wheel.

The Pathfinders of the same vintage run the same wheels as the frontier.

You can check fitment at this site.
https://www.wheel-size.com/size/nissan/frontier/

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
depends on what year the pathfinder is from. The Gen 2 (2005+) Frontiers all run the same bolt pattern. The 2wd gen1s had a 5 bolt while the 4wd had a 6. The 6x114.3 means 6 bolts on a 114.3mm (4.5") bolt circle pattern. The standard use to be 6x5.5". But nissan swapped to a smaller hub so that they can share parts with their cars (jsut drill a different hole pattern as most of the cars are 5 bolts).

The offset is different between the 15 and the 16 to accommodate the different width tires. But you should be fine running the 4wd 16" wheel.

The Pathfinders of the same vintage run the same wheels as the frontier.

You can check fitment at this site.
https://www.wheel-size.com/size/nissan/frontier/
Great info, Thanks!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts