Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2005 Frontier (85k miles) has just developed a whining noise when accelerating. The harder I accelerate, the louder it whines. Sounds like a gear drive on a 60's Muscle Car.

I also have a slight click or rattle at idle. There doesn't seem to be any adverse effect on how the truck runs at this point. I just had my trans serviced, but I don't think that is related.

From the search I did and other things I have read here, I suspect this is a timing chain issue.

Please let me know what you guys have experienced with the timing chain problem/noise. What did it sound like? What was the repair bill? Etc...

Thanks for input.

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Definately sounds like timing chain to me. Mine just started doing the same exact thing, I took it to Nissan yesterday and it only took them about 5 minutes of listening to it and they knew exactly what it was. Lucky for me, I only have 41k miles so its all covered under warranty. I couldnt even begin to tell you how much parts and stuff are. Ive heard some of the guys on here say anywhere between $500 for just the parts or close to $1500 to get it all fixed. Good luck man

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the links. Unfortunately, I think that's the problem.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
OMFG! this is exactly what im hearing in my 03. nice. bugs the piss outta me

·
Premium Member
12,116 Posts
whats the bad effects of not changing out the guides? they just whine, untilllllllll what the timing gets ****ed from the loose chain?

i know on the old ka24de the timing chain guide rattles and they can be removed. and nothing bad happens at all.

·
Registered
854 Posts
whats the bad effects of not changing out the guides? they just whine, untilllllllll what the timing gets ****ed from the loose chain?

i know on the old ka24de the timing chain guide rattles and they can be removed. and nothing bad happens at all.
Any conformation on this?

Will not repairing it warrent any issues? Is it just a noise thing, does it effect proformance or efficency of the machine?

Was there any extention of warenty on this? or did it conk at the 36mo/30k?

·
Super Moderator
11,179 Posts

Will not repairing it warrent any issues? Is it just a noise thing, does it effect proformance or efficency of the machine?

It's covered under the 5 year 60,000 mile part of your warranty.

Clint

·
Registered
8,529 Posts

An Xterra owner ran his rig with the whine for 2 yrs with no issues other then the noise. I ran mine for 1yr with no issues.

Only negative thing really is the extra wear metal in the motor. This may cause some wear on the pistons and thru a loss in power and possibly some extra oil consumption.

It is covered under the 5yr/60k warranty thus far. It may be extended if Nissan feels the need but since it is not a safety issue per say, its only up to Nissan, nothing federal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts