Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 frontier manual transmission 4.0 4x4: The speedometer is goofed up. When i start the truck and drive it stays at 0 and the odo doesn't count. 5 miles later it will suddenly start working perfect. immediately following this, the 4wd indicator goes blank and stays that way. This all happens everytime i start the truck, even if i just switch it off and back on in the middle of a longer drive. I searched the forums and couldnt find anything quite like this. Anyone have any ideas of what it would be?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some type of glitch.. I have no idea, have you tried unhooking the battery for a few minutes??
No i haven't tried that. i actually just got the truck, and the guy acted like its been like that for awhile, but i sort of question how much he knew about the history of the truck... I will unplug the battery awhile tomorrow and see what happens.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
The speed comes from the ABS wheel speed sensors. You'll need a scan tool capable of reading "C-codes" to see if there are any trouble codes that can help identify the problem. A scan tool like that can also be used for viewing the live data from those same sensors. More than likely, that's where the problem is.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The speed comes from the ABS wheel speed sensors. You'll need a scan tool capable of reading "C-codes" to see if there are any trouble codes that can help identify the problem. A scan tool like that can also be used for viewing the live data from those same sensors. More than likely, that's where the problem is.
Ok that sounds logical I'll give that a try too... I have an 05 that has some abs sensor issues as well and the speedometer kinda acts up on it too sometimes... I'm hoping it's just a sensor that I can fix rather than some confusing computer or modular problem...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so unhooking battery didnt work... I'd like to investigate the wheel sensors and see if any are goofed up, but I'm not sure how to tell which one it would be... I dont think theres a code because there is no abs light on. How expensive of a code reader do you have to get to show individual live wheel data? Is this what was meant by C-codes? If there's any relatively cheap ones that does this I'd buy one... any tips would be awesome!!!

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I had a similar metaphysical incident with my Frontier. For some strange reason the 4X4 indicator on the dash would cycle back and forth between 2H, 4H and 4LO. All this happened without me changing the 4X4 selector knob. This oddity would happen ever so often. Nothing was ever damaged; just odd. Then the truck developed other issues with the ignition system. I brought it to Nissan and they cured all my ailments by changing out the positive battery lead.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ordered one of those code scanners that bluetooth to your phone, so we will se what all I can read with that... Is anyone familiar with the speedometer sensor location? I know the automatics have a sensor on the transmission, and I believe some of the old frontiers had a sensor on the transfer case.
smj999smj said it comes from the wheel speed sensors. If this is the case, which wheel would it go by, or is it a combination of them through the computer or something... I was looking on rock auto, and I see the rear speed sensors are different and much more expensive for the manual transmission vs the automatic. So my hunch is the speedometer goes off one or both of the rear wheels, and the front sensors, which are just regular and cheap, are only used for the abs system... does anyone know for sure?? If this was the case it would narrow it down for me atleast!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts