Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It looks like I was sold a Frontier (05) with bad front catalytic converters. All the aftermarket cats I see online can't be sold in California! Can anyone recommend the way to replace cats in California without going to the stealership? Can't find a thread on what has to be a common question. Thanks for your help!! Great site and community!

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Have someone out of state buy them and have them ship them to you.
Not sure if they will pass smog, though.

·
Super Moderator
11,274 Posts
Do a search I believe this scenario already was posted a while back and remember he had them shipped to an Arizona address and easily passed emissions test.
Hope you get it resolved to your liking.

Clint

·
Super Moderator
3,691 Posts
Have someone out of state buy them and have them ship them to you.
Not sure if they will pass smog, though.
Simply purchasing catalytic converters out of state and shipping them to California does not make the converters legal...they need to be CARB certified...and the act of shipping them into CA and not being CARB certified is also likely illegal. Used converters can be purchased if they've been emission tested and certified for sale in CA. Your best bet would be to get new, Nissan converters from an online dealer, like CourtesyParts.com or NissanPartsDeal.com, which are price discounted. Or, you could get the price from an online dealer and see if a local dealer will price match, which would cost you tax but save you shipping costs.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Not to sound too crazy, but have you looked into simply taking it to Midas or Meineke or a local muffler shop?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have not thought of that. I would imagine they would have to order the $600+ cat and charge me $100 to put it in. Do you have some success with this method (I notice you live in Florida, where they have no smog checks)?

·
Super Moderator
3,691 Posts
$100 labor to replace both front catalytic converters sounds pretty light; they aren't that easy to replace. I would expect something closer to $400-$500 labor to replace the pair, plus parts. Midas or Meineke would likely just order the converters from Nissan. You can always call them for a price quote, though.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yeah I'm sure you're right. If money was no object, I suppose I would never have started this thread.
True, Florida has no smog checks, at least not yet. But, you could call them for a quote just to set mind at ease. I had my cat replaced on an old Escape when I lived in California back in 2007 from a local guy. Then it cost me about $250. But, that was then. Still, probably wouldn't hurt to check.

Good luck in either case.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts