Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2011 Pro 4X CC. I'm pretty sure one of my ABS sensors is shot (ABS, Slip, VDC light issue).

I have seen that you can test through the ABS Module harness. When I pulled it off, set the meter to ohms and tried the first spot as in the picture, I get 0 reading. Tried every spot, still 0.

Does the truck need to be in the On position?

100% sure it's operator error, just need the right steps. My harness is in good shape so I don't have access to see the wires, but I do have a pic of the connector. Looks like a total of 10 pins on that right side.

Thank you for your assistance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most of us get service manual info from here.
The antilock brake section seems to be missing from their system, but I found it for 2012 - likely the same.
See attached PDF file. Start at Page 87 and down. I hope this helps. Use the battery terminal as your ground point for any voltage tests. Do not use any ground wire for any testing that connects to the ECU - it's easily damaged.

Also, regarding your dash lights - the 2012 PDF (page 91) says this:
In case of an electrical malfunction with the ABS, the ABS warning lamp and SLIP indicator lamp will turn on.
In case of an electrical malfunction with the EBD system, the BRAKE warning lamp, ABS warning lamp and SLIP indicator lamp will turn on.

EBD means electronic brake distribution. That could be a bad wheel sensor or several other components of that system other than the ABS module.
Appreciate the info, although I'm not sure about linking to other forums like that.

In any case, I'm almost sure it's my pass front. Last time it went into limp mode like this was last winter. Engaged 4Hi about 50ft before my driveway, engaged fine, left turn through a little snow drift from the plow. As soon as I started to pull away, limp mode, no 4x4. I thought it was the relay, so I swapped that, did the disconnect battery thing and it seemed to have worked for the rest of the winter. But here I am back at it, before winter. Could be Driver front, cutting that turn and the ABS wire gets pulled that way. Who knows.

Last thing I'm doing is messing with the ECU, I'm wondering why testing the ABS harness isn't working. I think that's my first step in all of this. Well before tearing into it.

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
13,452 Posts
I have had issues with worn hubs that then take out the ABS sensor. My friend, who is a mechanic, was able to feel the hub play so when we pulled it off, you could see the plastic sensor housing was worn from rubbing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I have had issues with worn hubs that then take out the ABS sensor. My friend, who is a mechanic, was able to feel the hub play so when we pulled it off, you could see the plastic sensor housing was worn from rubbing.
That I understand. I'm not hearing any hub/bearing issues though.
What ABS trouble codes are you getting on your OBD scanner??
I do have a generic one and a more advanced one for my countryman. It won't read those type of codes. Unless you get a reader that specifies ABS, regular OBD scanners won't read ABS error codes.

That's why I was trying to find the right way or proper steps to use the multimeter at the ABS harness.

·
Super Moderator
10,580 Posts
Don’t be afraid to go to the link or go directly, www.nicoclub.com
As soon as you open the page go to the drop down, the three little hash marks near to third of page.

Clint

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don’t be afraid to go to the link or go directly, www.nicoclub.com
As soon as you open the page go to the drop down, the three little hash marks near to third of page.

Clint
Not afraid by any means. But seeing how that link is to a general Nissan forum, and this place is a dedicated forum for Frontiers (literal name Club Frontier), this made the most sense to try and get my question answered.

·
Super Moderator
10,580 Posts
Not afraid by any means. But seeing how that link is to a general Nissan forum, and this place is a dedicated forum for Frontiers (literal name Club Frontier), this made the most sense to try and get my question answered.
It’s the ONLY place online to find free legal use of the factory manual.

Clint

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It’s the ONLY place online to find free legal use of the factory manual.

Clint
Now without context to that knowledge when you posted it initially, you can understand the confusion right?

Regardless, thank you for clearing that up.

Now back to the issue.
  • Does the truck have to be in the run position when doing the meter test? Ohm reading is 0L, no matter the combo of meter placement.
  • Any other method of testing the sensors?

·
Super Moderator
10,580 Posts
I’d think it needs to be on as anything else plugged in to work has to have power. That’s what makes sense to me.

Clint

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’d think it needs to be on as anything else plugged in to work has to have power. That’s what makes sense to me.

Clint
Right?! That makes sense to me also.

Couple other electrical things I’ve seen while trying to find an answer to my problem, people always mention the ECU. And since Frontiers are finicky with electrical issues at times, wanted to play it safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
13,452 Posts
That I understand. I'm not hearing any hub/bearing issues though.
I didn't hear any hub or bearing issues on my first two pooched hubs and sensors, either. A shop actually noticed it one time when I was having my Radflo's fixed again

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I didn't hear any hub or bearing issues on my first two pooched hubs and sensors, either. A shop actually noticed it one time when I was having my Radflo's fixed again
Interesting, something else I will keep an eye out for when I pull the wheels to inspect.
Thanks for the heads up.

·
Super Moderator
3,229 Posts
The older Nissan ABS sensors were passive sensors and could be tested with an ohmmeter. Starting with the 1st Gen Frontiers, Nissan used active sensors and the only way you can accurately test the ABS sensors iss to use a special tool made by Kent-Moore which is $500, Kent-Moore J-45741-A.

Reactions: Clint and Zedbra

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The older Nissan ABS sensors were passive sensors and could be tested with an ohmmeter. Starting with the 1st Gen Frontiers, Nissan used active sensors and the only way you can accurately test the ABS sensors is to use a special tool made by Kent-Moore which is $500, Kent-Moore J-45741-A.

Yes I understand about passive / active ABS sensors and from what I've seen on the interwebs, active sensors can still be tested. Yes, not as easily as passive ones, but still doable without that tool.

As for accuracy, not entirely important, just need to find which sensor(s) are reading the lower values.

I will add that I do plan on pulling the wheels to visually inspect, especially since @Zedbra made the comment about zero hub noise prior to his failure.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts