Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all, well I'm planing to run 285/75/r16 mt tires, principally i do sand offroad. I have the 2.5 diesel frontier, so i think that with the big torque that it has the tires wouldn't be a problem on sand.

I was looking through the forum about some info of the toyo open country mt model but i didn't find any thread about this tires. Someone knows how they are? in durability, ride comfort, grip, etc. and what tires do u recommend me to use, it must be a mt

thank u

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
now i'm running at tires and they are not so good in sand because they have no traction enough. i have a lot of torque so to dig in sand is not a problem, the truck will never stop accelerating even if i'm with 0 speed, it makes huge holes. difficult to explain in English (i'm from chile). we make offraod with 5psi

How are toyo mt tires?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I dont think you can fit 285/75/16 with out a lot of lift or cutting. I put the same size tire on mine and I have a 3 inch suspension lift, and they still rubbed. So I had to order a body lift to get it a little bigger.

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
Ok tricks to driving on sand

1) Pull your ABS fuse
2) run your tires at 12-14 PSI
3) Start slowly and build up speed slowly
4) when you start to lose traction let of the gas, once you start lose traction then it hard to regain it.
5) When you feel the back in sinking stop before you get to stuck to back out of it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I make sand offroad since i'm 13 year old, here i leave you with some videos that i have in youtube, later i'll post more videos. I made the question because many people here in chile run mt tires in sand depending in what the truck needs.
Many of the sand offroaders here told me that a mt tire woulds be a nice choice.

YouTube - nissan navara quebrada

YouTube - Video0007

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Here on Long Island (A big pile of sand), where I've been wheeling on sand for 25 years, we call 5psi a flat. For good flotation you should be at 10-12 psi. At 5psi you're smashing your rim on the inside of your tire on every bump and stand an excellent chance of getting a real flat and or damaging a tire. AT's and less aggressive tread patterns are the best tire for sugar sand. The softer and more loose the sand (sugar sand) the lower the pressure. Hard packed sand, like Florida where you can drive a car on it, and just about any kind of tire will be ok if you air down a bit to go wheeling.

Side note, the sand in your video's doesn't look too loose........is it? Around here MT's are for look only, they don't work better in the sand. They actually dig more and make your truck work harder.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
1 - 20 of 21 Posts