Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there. I've tried searching and have gone through the numerous wheel/tire fitment threads but it seems most people that have this size tire has a lift.

To start off, I have a 05 Nismo crew cab Frontier 4x2. Everything is bone stock.

I want to put 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers on the stock nismo 16x7s but I'm not sure if the tires will fit without a lift.

My buddy with an Xterra says the same size fits on a xterra without lift but Erik from Pro-Comp says this size will require at least a 3" lift.

I'm hoping clubfrontier can give me a clear answer on this.

Also, are there ANY alloy wheels that have that "steelie" design that fit our trucks?

Didn't think wheel choices would be so limited when I got the truck.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
191 Posts
The tires would fit in the back but since our trucks are lower up front they wont fit. I got the 2.5" PRG leveling kit and my 285/75 fit perfectly. You should look into that since it gives our trucks a better stance, appearance and lets you run those tires.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, to fit the 285/75/16s I definately need a lift or leveling kit?

Is this the one you have?

PRG Products

2" Frontier leveling kit for $149?

So, this only lifts the front 2"s and leaves the rear the same as stock? Does this not look funny?

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Yes it will fit stock.

2" Frontier leveling kit for $149?
If you have to get a spacer don't pay that. You can get spacer for $60.

·
Registered
191 Posts
yeah you would need the lift and thats the exact one i have. Its really easy to install. I did it in about an hour or hour and a half. I have a long bed so the front looks a lot lower than the regular trucks. It wont look funny at all. It will be leveled out. It looks a lot better with it any way.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yes it will fit stock.

If you have to get a spacer don't pay that. You can get spacer for $60.
The reason I bought the PRG lift kit was because it is one solid piece instead of something that was welded and put together. I have a neighbor that got one from Rough Country because it was cheaper and the welds busted on him so I guess you get what you pay for. Also I tried fitting the tires without the lift and they would rub a lot when you turn the tires or hit bumps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is that ebay spacer welded together?

Also, If I were to go with a 2.5" spacer up front and 1.5" shackle in the rear, would the rear be higher than the front?

The same ebay seller has a 2-3" spacer with 1.5" rear shackle lift for $125.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Is this the same thing as that PRG kit for $149?

Nissan Frontier spacer mini lift leveling kit 2" - 3":eBay Motors (item 330392113750 end time Jan-13-10 18:29:29 PST)

If I were to go with the ebay kit, I could ask for a specific spacer size... Is 2.5" a good size? or should i go 2" or 3" or somewhere inbetween?

Thanks for your quick responses guys! Much appreciated!
Yeah 2.5" is good. PRG recommended not to go more than 3 if you have a 4wd because it will mess up the drive shaft angles but if you have 2wd than you can get the 3" one but your front might be higher than the back and that will look funny

Is that ebay spacer welded together?

Also, If I were to go with a 2.5" spacer up front and 1.5" shackle in the rear, would the rear be higher than the front?

The same ebay seller has a 2-3" spacer with 1.5" rear shackle lift for $125.
It looks like its welded together since its 2 round plates top and bottom and a center piece. Its not solid like the PRG lift. It might end up a bit higher in the back but if I were you, I would call PRG and ask them the same questions and they will answer them for you since they also sell the same products you have questions about. Than you can buy them off ebay if you want.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My buddy just told me to go with an "add-a-leaf" in the rear instead of shackles. He says it's better for towing, which I do plan on doing... I will most likely be flat towing my nissan 240sx to the track.

Are the AALs just as affordable and/or easy to install?

·
Registered
191 Posts
yeah it should be easy to install. I feel like I am a PRG representative but they also sell leaf packs which also raises your truck up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ahh Thanks.

So, back to the original topic, As long as I have at least a 2" lift up front (bare minimum) I will be able to run 285/75/16s correct? And this size will fit in the rear without a lift?

But to level my truck front and rear, I will most likely want to go with a ~2.5/1.5 combo?

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Also I tried fitting the tires without the lift and they would rub a lot when you turn the tires or hit bumps.
Did yo do an alignment? What would the tires rub when you hit a bump?

It's been done.

·
Registered
191 Posts
yeah they will fit up front with the lift and you wil not need anything in the back. The 2" up front will level the truck but if you want to go even higher than you can also do the combo.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OOhh.. so the 2" up front will level it... ahh ok..

Guess I gotta make a decision then... haha Thanks for all your help guys!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Did yo do an alignment? What would the tires rub when you hit a bump?

It's been done.
no i didnt have an alignment done because I already had the plan to put the lift in. They would rub on the liners in the fenders. I wont argue that its been done but it will rub even with an alignment.

OOhh.. so the 2" up front will level it... ahh ok..

Guess I gotta make a decision then... haha Thanks for all your help guys!
yeah the 2" will do it. My pic is old. I havent taken any new ones since I put the lift and the tires on and than deployed a few days afterwards:censor:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Allot of good info on lifts here. I installed the ready lift 2.5" front spacer and 1.5" shackle my kits also included the camber bolts and specs you will need to properly align it for $275.00. You will also need an alignment for a custom suspension (+/- $100.00)It also included the bumpers so coil buckets wont bottom. The stance is perfect now, perfectly level. On pavement truck rides the same, off road it seems to be a tad harsher on small bump. This is why many replace their UCA and coils with 2.5 radflows as they have much better travel and handling offroad, abiet more expensive. If your like me and do light offroading and want more ground clearance and be able to run up to 33" on stock 16" rim this will work. I tow a 4500lb boat and it sit perfect no sag, as I thought about the add a leaf. I paid more for mine than other kits, but for me the extra was worth it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
did you have any rubbing issues with the 33"s once you installed the lift?

·
Premium Member
3,550 Posts
did you have any rubbing issues with the 33"s once you installed the lift?
I had to trim one small piece of the mud guard.

Small rub

Trimmed away

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have the 2" PRG mini lift and am thinking of going from the stock tire (265-75-16) to a 285-75-16. Can anyone tell me how noticeable the power loss is when increasing to the 285-75-16 tire? To the OP, I've been told that you do need at least the 2" lift to accommodate the lager tire, but Idon't know from personal experience.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts