Nissan Frontier Forum banner

285/75’s to 255/85's

7K views 28 replies 9 participants last post by  OkeyestEng 
#1 ·
Has anyone gone to the skinny 33's? In particular, I'm curious if the turning improved any.

I'm researching, looks like the 255/85 Bighorns would be awesome, but run $750-$800. Plus, I see the 285's as a more common size; if I'm out and cut a tire, shops may not have 255's.

There are a ton of 285 options for much cheaper. But, maybe the 255/85's are worth the extra?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

#2 ·
I'm leaning towards the 255s as well, will give me just about an extra inch clearance at the rear axle, plus will be doing the 2" spring lift. Stinks how limited the choices are. I've already resigned myself to the overall bill being about a grand large so, suck it up and roll on, I said to myself < LOL >

#3 ·
Another tire size to consider is a 275/70r18. This gets you the 33" overall diameter, but doesn't have you quite as wide as a 285, and hopefully results in less rubbing issues. This also give you a fully selection of tire types. Yes you do need to get new wheels, but there were several OE 18" options that you could get fairly cheap.

Though I am not opposed to going down to 255 in width, the ideal that when going taller you should also go a little wider to balance.

#4 ·
I believe all 255/85 tires you find will be E rated. quite overkill for the frontier, also quite heavier than stock. The weight along with the increased size will make the truck feel and handle slower, worse fuel econ and ride worse.
People love to chime in and say you need E rated tires to drive down a road or else you'll get a flat. That's bullshit. Think you need a truck tire? get a C-rated tire and get some more durability while still keeping your ride and performance. Otherwise just drive with a p-rated tire and pay attention to how you drive.

#5 ·
I ran the 255/85 BFG KM3's and loved them, for the first 5 months. Unfortunately, with the amount of road wear I put on them, they just became too noisy and wore entirely too fast. That said, my mileage did not go down, nor was the ride worse, just the opposite in fact.

Reactions: Sly_408
#7 ·
Nope, but it didn't go down. Daily average over a week is still 17.2, same as since day one. I reset the computer the first of every month and have been at 17, plus or minus 2/10's, since day one, over the course of a week. 255/85's did not rub, even though 33's. I attribute that to the narrower tire. My original tires were 265/70's . I have been told the vehicle was designed for 265/75's and went to those for my KO's (loved them, by the way) went to the KM3's because of all the reviews about how they wore the same as KO's and I like the narrower tire. They did not wear like KO's for me. Much worse (more than half worn at 7 months) and they have become HORRIBLY noisy on the road. Much as I love the KO's. looking at the Toyo AT II's this time around. Probably back to 265/75 because I am to cheap to buy new rims.

#8 ·
oops' shoulda stated, what did I mean by "Just the Opposite". The ride quality became really nice, smooth in turns and pleasant on the feel, I believe because of the greater profile.

#9 · (Edited)
I have to ask, did you calculate for the bigger tire in mpg? your odo is reading low so you multiply by 1.0825 or something to get the real numbers..

I had the Toyos AT on my Dodge and they were great tires, solid drive, no noise, and good mpg. They lasted long and I had a truck camper and a trailer.

#10 ·
I have to ask, did you calculate for the bigger tire in mpg? your odo is reading low so you multiply by 1.04 or something to get the real numbers..

I had the Toyos AT on my Dodge and they were great tires, solid drive, no noise, and good mpg.
You know, you are correct and I did not think to do that!!! That, of course, means my mileage actually increased during the time with the 255/85's, so it wasn't just comfort. That said, it was still not enough to offset the wear!

#11 ·
I cannot for the life of me decide. I have pretty much narrowed it down to a few choices:
  1. Milestar Patagonia M/T price is the cheapest around $135 per; weighs 61 pounds; 285/75/16
  2. Firestone Destination M/T 2 one of my favorites for some reason; expensive around $260 per; unsure on weight; 285/75/16
  3. Maxxis Bighorn MT-762 leaning to this at around $178 per; weighs 52 pounds; 255/85/16
  4. SCHUPER SCHWAWMPERS for funzies (would be stupid, but also fun) 285/75/16
  5. Toyo M/T's expensive at $250 per; probably the best tire but seems boring to me
For reference, my current tires are Ironman All-Country MT's. They were quite cheap, around $150 per. I have really enjoyed them and they have never let me down.

I wish the 255/85's were available more, my concern is if I am out traveling and I get cuts in two or more tires... 255/85's are hard to get. They are also lighter, won't rub, and a hair taller.

285's, like my current tires, rubbed the frame a tad. They are heavier, wider, and will feel sluggish on the roads. However, very common size so getting the tires is easier plus there are many more options. They are also cheaper (sorta).

Thoughts anyone? I can't make a decision.

#16 ·
I cannot for the life of me decide. I have pretty much narrowed it down to a few choices:
  1. Milestar Patagonia M/T price is the cheapest around $135 per; weighs 61 pounds; 285/75/16
  2. Firestone Destination M/T 2 one of my favorites for some reason; expensive around $260 per; unsure on weight; 285/75/16
  3. Maxxis Bighorn MT-762 leaning to this at around $178 per; weighs 52 pounds; 255/85/16
  4. SCHUPER SCHWAWMPERS for funzies (would be stupid, but also fun) 285/75/16
  5. Toyo M/T's expensive at $250 per; probably the best tire but seems boring to me
For reference, my current tires are Ironman All-Country MT's. They were quite cheap, around $150 per. I have really enjoyed them and they have never let me down.

I wish the 255/85's were available more, my concern is if I am out traveling and I get cuts in two or more tires... 255/85's are hard to get. They are also lighter, won't rub, and a hair taller.

285's, like my current tires, rubbed the frame a tad. They are heavier, wider, and will feel sluggish on the roads. However, very common size so getting the tires is easier plus there are many more options. They are also cheaper (sorta).

Thoughts anyone? I can't make a decision.
Search 285s on amazon. There are a few budget mts. I have been wanting to go 33 since I first got my truck. This summer I might finally do it. I was almost set on going with the patagonias. But after seeing some of the other mts on amazon I might have to go for those calvarys. I like the directional lugs. Reminds me of the old school mtrs.

#12 ·
Reactions: BCBrian
#13 ·
I'm a little rusty on what KO and KM3s mean...
Wear will not be size related, so that is another discussion....

I had the Toyo on a 7,200 lb truck. They were great as I said, before I had 285s which were terrible, they would get caught in the right lane ruts (made by the big semis) and never drive straight, in the left lane the road just tilted too much to the left and I was always fighting staying straight. With the 255s it tracked straight always. Though, this was a truck with a wider stance than the Frontier.
If you are running Es on this little truck, other than a slash, then getting a flat that cannot be repaired is much less likely, worth the risk of having to run a used tire that is close enough in diameter to get you home (dont buy a new tire for a temporary short-term fix if it is not the right size). Keep the matched pair in the rear to keep the diff happy and drive home lop-sided if you have to. You see our brothers driving on the little spare tire donut for thousands of miles around town all the time.

These trucks don't seem to have power to spare, so I am surprised that with a bigger and heavier tire you do not notice much change in mpg.
265 just seems a wide tire for this truck, 285 way wide n maybe just for looks, but a 255, being slightly narrower, might not bulge out as much to protect your rims. I am curious to thoughts on this.

#14 ·
I agree with your points. Also, I have a 285/75/16 mounted on the spare rim, I keep it in the bed. So, my thought was, if I get a flat the difference in the 285/75 & 255/85 would be ok to limp home on. Two flats? I'm screwed.

I get 17-18 MPG regular. I don't drive insane, but I'm not a gramps either.

Seems on paper, the Bighorn MT762 255/85/16's are the choice I should keep at the top. I need to quit thinking about it and just pull the trigger....

Considered the Coopers?
I know this is a solid choice, but it seems so... boring. Don't ask, I've lost my mind...

#15 ·
You'd be surprised how common the 255's are out there. Walmart had this size on the display rack. It was my concern too, but for new tires they were easy to find, although finding 255 in used is harder. I think the dually trucks use 255 commonly.

For my Suburb driving (characterized by longer distances between stops and infrequent 4 mile stints on freeway and avoidance of Rush hour) I can get 20mpg, so there is a lot more you should be able to do if mpg is a goal. Research Hypermiling.

I have a lot of life left in my stock tires still, but will probably go to 255s next.

#17 ·
Ordered the Maxxis 255/85/16's. The decision came down to weight - the Maxxis is listed at 52 pounds. By comparison, the majority of 285/75's weigh around 65 pounds.
I did so much research on this, I put way too much thought into it. With that said, if anyone is interested in the cheapest route I highly recommend the Milestar Patagonia M/T's. These have faired well with most all reviews and they seem to be quite popular for the price. Plus, $135 each is quite cheap.

#20 ·
looks great, once I wear out my 265/75’s I was gonna go to 285, but I’ve been strongly considering going 255/85 instead. Think you sealed the deal for me ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.