Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had some broverland med duty springs put on the rear and a rancho quick lift put on the front of my 2015. Pretty much a 2” lift all the way around. I’m thinking about going with 285/65r16’s. Does anybody have experience with running that size of tire on stock gearing? I’m guess I’m just a little worried it may be too sluggish. Any input would be awesome. Thanks!

·
Registered
2013 Frontier SV 4x4 LWB VTP
73 Posts
Edit: The below comment is assuming you meant 285/75/16

I don’t have first hand experience with 285’s so take my opinion with a grain of salt😂 I have the same leaf packs as you with 2 inches of lift, and have 265/75/16 and IMO it’s the perfect combo, for these reasons:

Appearance- This is personal preference but I think a 33 just looks way too stuffed unless you’re doing 3+ inches of lift. 32” on a 2” lift is spot on

No trimming/melting required

Don’t have to run an LT tire- AFAIK all 285/75/16 tires are LT. worse ride quality, and much heavier so mpg goes down and gearing is worse. Many people like to run LT’s, but unless you’re covering really rocky terrain day in day out, or building a dedicated trail rig, I don’t think they’re necessary.

For me, the negatives of running a 285 outweigh the positives. I’ve got 265/75s in Falken Wildpeaks now. Look great, ride great, plenty durable for light to moderate trails, and speedo is dead on. I avoided losing an additional 2-3 mpg, having rubbing issues, and having increased loss of power from having to turn more rubber.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
With the 285s you'll have to do some melt modding and trimming. Also depending on the weight of the tire you go with, I'm not sure if the SV 4x4 has the 3.13 gears or 3.36 but if it does have the 3.13s you will be noticeably sluggish. I'm running 285s with the 3.36 gearing and it is noticeable, not by a huge margin but still noticeable.

·
Premium Member
2,120 Posts
I just had some broverland med duty springs put on the rear and a rancho quick lift put on the front of my 2015. Pretty much a 2” lift all the way around. I’m thinking about going with 285/65r16’s. Does anybody have experience with running that size of tire on stock gearing? I’m guess I’m just a little worried it may be too sluggish. Any input would be awesome. Thanks!
If you have a SV kingcab, you have 3.13 gears. If you have a crewcab or p4x, you have 3.36
33s on .13 is kinda rough...
Combined with nissan (along with everyone else) gears their cars, suvs and midsize trucks for CAFE stds (mpg compliance) and buyer preference, the trucks are already undergeared.
If you tow/haul, or will be in the mtns alot you'll be leaving it in lower gears to prevent the pcm constantly shuttling gears like a Plinko machine.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Skinny06

·
Registered
315 Posts
They’d fit absolutely perfectly. If you can find em.

I stuck with a stock height tire, did not want to sacrifice acceleration.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Thanks for all the input. I think I’m gonna just stay with the 265s. Here’s a pic for those who may be thinking about doing the same mods.
Your truck looks great as is. I have considered going to 33s as well off and on, but can't justify a performance hit for just 1/2" more gound clearance,so I'm sticking with 265/75 R16s as well.
A bit OT, but I just read that the new Ford F150 Raptor will have 37s!

·
Registered
2016 SV, 4WD, CC, 6MT, Volant CAI, Bullydog GT, Flowmaster Super 10
3 Posts
I think your setup looks really nice. I personally have 285/75 16s on the same Fuel wheels you have with the PRG advanced coil over kit with SPC UCAs set to 3 in of lift and I love it. It is a tad bit sluggish compared to stock but I live in the mountains here in VA and the truck is a 6spd so it hasn't bothered me all that much.

I also have a few performance mods (intake, tune, exhaust, and throttle controller) so that helps too.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I think your setup looks really nice. I personally have 285/75 16s on the same Fuel wheels you have with the PRG advanced coil over kit with SPC UCAs set to 3 in of lift and I love it. It is a tad bit sluggish compared to stock but I live in the mountains here in VA and the truck is a 6spd so it hasn't bothered me all that much.

I also have a few performance mods (intake, tune, exhaust, and throttle controller) so that helps too.
If I had 3.69 gears, like you with the 6-speed, I would definitely go with 285s.

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
There are so many posts about this exact question. Just....*face-palming hard, people

Reactions: rdp91356

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Thanks for all the input. I think I’m gonna just stay with the 265s. Here’s a pic for those who may be thinking about doing the same mods.
thats a beauty! Extra brownie points with the flag on the quarter panel!!!

·
Registered
353 Posts
265 club. Want the look of 285s but a half inch of clearance and even worse acceleration than my 265s
.. just cant justify it. Nice looking truck btw

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
265 club. Want the look of 285s but a half inch of clearance and even worse acceleration than my 265s
.. just cant justify it. Nice looking truck btw
thank you! I’m gonna just stick the 265’s

·
Registered
315 Posts
How do you like the rancho coil/struts? Haven’t found much on them more recently than 5 years ago or so. Keep us updated on them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How do you like the rancho coil/struts? Haven’t found much on them more recently than 5 years ago or so. Keep us updated on them.
Will do, just driving around the block they seem to be a little smoother. I am headed out to drive some dirt roads and some little rougher stuff tomorrow I will let you know how they do

1 - 16 of 16 Posts