Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tread width on a 265/75/16 Terra Grappler or similar

I'm looking for a new tire and want some real numbers from those of you running a 265 wide tire.
I had the opportunity to measure a new 305 Nitto terra grappler and it measured a full inch wider, in tread width, than my BFG at. What I'm interested in is a slightly smaller tire that still has a wide tread. The 265/75/16 will give me a 1" (32) shorter tire instead of my 305/70/16 (33) which will give me back a little gearing and power for towing a boat.
What I want is to not loose a lot of width, so if you guys running a 265 can post some real measurements of tread width and possibly a picture of the tape measure across the tire I'd greatly appreciate it.. and also what tire it is, would be most helpful.. Also has to be a quiet all terrain, no mud or or loud type tires please.
Thanks much
Anthony

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
The tie size is "nominal" . Kind of like how a size 8 shoe is different in size from one brand to another. That said most tire manufactures will list the actual size of the tire. For example this is the 265/75r16 tire I am currently running.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mft-03751/overview/
The section width is 10.6" the thread width is 8.1". Diameter 31.6"

Tire rack is a very good resource. Find the tire and go to the "specs"
Here are the stock rugged trails that came on my truck new
BFGoodrich*Rugged Trail T/A
Section width is 10.4". thread width is 7.7". diameter 31.8"

You can do your own research, and not have to wait for forum peeps.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Unfortunately the tread width is the one dimension that gets a pass on a lot the ones Im looking to compare, which brings us here.

Ive looked at Tire Rack and Discount tire and even gone to manufacturer websites, but tire tread width is not always available. The section width is, but its the tread width that Im looking for, The Nitto Terra Grappler is what Im most curious and interested in..

Nissan4Life,I just looked at the link you posted and Summit offers more info than most tire places

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope, Summit doesn't list it either, so back to you guys if you can.....

·
Premium Member
7,185 Posts
Unfortunately the tread width is the one dimension that gets a pass on a lot the ones Im looking to compare, which brings us here.

Ive looked at Tire Rack and Discount tire and even gone to manufacturer websites, but tire tread width is not always available. The section width is, but its the tread width that Im looking for, The Nitto Terra Grappler is what Im most curious and interested in..

Nissan4Life,I just looked at the link you posted and Summit offers more info than most tire places
Contact Us why not just ask them directly.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Interesting that those Nittos have no thread width listed.

I did find that the 275/70r16 nittos have a 8.4" tread width. Biggest Little Tire Test - Off-Road Magazine
Looking at BFG ATs in the same size show 8.9"

The BFG AT in 265/75/16 are 8.5".

Looks like those Nittos are narrow. Am going to guess that in 265/75r16 they will have a tread width of 8.0 or 8.1

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That article shows the Terra Grappler in 265/75/16 is 8.6 wide, which is basically the same as all the other tires, give or take a little. Not what I wanted to hear, I was hoping it would be wider like the 305 was, but again... this is why I wanted to hear from someone who had them.

The crappy reality is that I want a 32x11.50 for a 16" rim, but it would be easier to find bigfoot riding a unicorn.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm 100% with you. I really want a wider but not necessarily taller one. Wish I had more to offer on your search

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Even Nitto's specs omit the tread width.... Since the section width is 1.65"s less, I would guess the tread would be 1.65"s less than your 305s as well. From Nitto -

LT265/75R16 E 123Q 200010 15.6 31.54 10.75 7.0-(7.5)-8.0 3415 @ 80
LT285/75R16 E 126Q 200360 16.5 32.76 11.42 7.5-(8.0)-9.0 3750 @ 80
LT305/70R16 E 124Q 200050 16.5 32.68 12.40 8.0-(9.0)-9.5 3525 @ 65

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Like I said, I've measured the 305 grappler at and the tread itself was 11" and my 305 bfg at tread measures 10". This doesn't exactly match what is listed and the reason I would like some real numbers from people who have them. Skinny tires aren't popular here, beach driving is what we do and it's done best with a wide tire, so most run 305 width. My next step will be to try and find a tire shop that has one and measure it, I can do the math on the side wall but it doesn't account for the difference in why the nitto and bfg of the same listed size are not when you measure them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
544 Posts
Like I said, I've measured the 305 grappler at and the tread itself was 11" and my 305 bfg at tread measures 10". This doesn't exactly match what is listed and the reason I would like some real numbers from people who have them. Skinny tires aren't popular here, beach driving is what we do and it's done best with a wide tire, so most run 305 width. My next step will be to try and find a tire shop that has one and measure it, I can do the math on the side wall but it doesn't account for the difference in why the nitto and bfg of the same listed size are not when you measure them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk
Would rim width make an appreciable difference in thread width or height too?

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tread width has to do with the pattern in the tire and doesn't change, the rim width can affect the hight a bit, skinnier will make it a little taller and a wide rim will pull out the sidewalls and lower the height a little and will mostly change the section dimension. I have an 8" rim, which isn't going to change, and Im hoping to find a tire that runs wide so I loose less width when downsizing.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Kumho Road Ventura AT51

Just bought a set of Kumho Road Ventura AT51 P265/75R16 114T all terrain tires, the tread width is 8.5 inches. Road noise is minimal, already took a couple of highway trips and found them very good. I actually bought these for my winter tires as this is a unique all terrain tire in that it meets the severe snow service requirements and are branded with the mountain/snowflake symbol, most all terrain tires don't meet this standard and are no better than all season tires in the snow.

FYI, Kumho also makes another version of this tire, the LT265/75R16 123/120R E, which is heavy duty and more expensive, Tirerack has the tread width a bit smaller at 8.4 inches but I cant verify that.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,185 Posts
You do realize that even "real world" tire width (actual contact patch, which is what you seem to be concerned with) can vary between vehicle to vehicle?

Different air pressure = different width.
4WD CCLB vs. 2WD shorty base model = different width.
Heavy engine vs. unloaded bed = different width.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes Rain I am very well aware of all of that and I am not interested in the contact patch, which is the part of the tire that is actually touching the road, this is directly affected by tire pressure. I am only interested in how wide the tire will be, look wise, when standing side by side with the tire I have now. So it is exactly the measurement of the tread that I want. I appreciate your help, but I am looking for one specific measurement to compare..
Thanks again

·
Premium Member
7,185 Posts
I am not interested in the contact patch, which is the part of the tire that is actually touching the road, this is directly affected by tire pressure. I am only interested in how wide the tire will be, look wise
wait...

beach driving is what we do and it's done best with a wide tire
You're contradicting yourself there LOL

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
What about going with a 275/70r16 pretty close to a 265/75r16
275/70/16 seems to be closer to a 31" tall and near about the same width as the 265 (Had a set before the 305s). I have 33x12.5x15 BFG AT on my jeep and 305/70/16 BFG AT on the frontier and even though the math shows they should be different widths they are in fact exactly the same, so as you already mentioned, the sizes are near about and not exact. So this is just another reason for my request

wait...

You're contradicting yourself there LOL
How so ?

·
Registered
308 Posts
jski701, take a look at my previous post if you already haven't, I took some better pics and managed to get them to come out right side up

1 - 20 of 27 Posts