Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing a 6 inch lift on a 4 cylinder frontier auto trans. Will discount mount a 285 75 16 on a nismo rim or am I wasting my time. I would go with a 265 goodyear dura trac but everyone says it is too small. Do you think they will mount for me?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Here in Phoenix Discount Tire Co. will not mount a 285 on a Nismo wheel (too narrow). They do not mount any tire outside of the manufacturer's suggested fitment, but it never hurts to try.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
You shouldn't have a problem with most wheel/tire shops; alot even have a wavier of liability/warranty cuz of the stretch n' poke guys.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I may just buy online and have a shop here install. Was gonna buy a 255 85 16 at discount but it is around 50$ more a tire. I was gonna just install 265 75 16 Goodyear Duratracs on it, but I am afraid they will look really small(6 inch lift on 2005 XE).

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Yea, with that much lift you need something around 33"-34" in diameter. The 265 will only give you somewhere in the range of 31-32 which will just look small.

You can just order the tires online and have a local shop mount and balance them.

I once again bring up the whole gearing issue. You will loose power with the lift due to drag and now you will loose even more due to the tires. I just don't know how the auto will handle this.....

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
My son will be driving this and he is seventeen years old, so the lack of power is not an all around bad thing. Do you think it will be an issue on a highway driving 70 which he might drive rarely? No offroading and this part of texas is flat.

sorry to ask so many questions, I just want it to be right and you guys know best!!!

And would spending the extra money for 255 85 16 save me weight and power over the 285 75 16.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Well, when I was 17 I had a Cavalier and it was only a 3 speed auto and I beat the crap out of it. Now I have my Frontier and I only have to give it 1/2 throttle to have the same power as the Cavalier. I would just be a little afraid that he may drive it pretty hard since it is lacking in the power range, lol I know I would.

There are a couple of XEs on here with a ton of lift and hugh tires but most are 5 speed manuals so idk.

I guess its worth a shot and if things break, then it is time for the upgrades. Think of it as a learning experience for your son. If he breaks it, he has to learn how to fix it. Kinda like when I kicked a hole in the drywall and then had to learn how to patch/texture/paint holes in drywall, lol.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I like that anaylysis Dubie, been ther done that. SO what do you think 255 or 285?

There are some pics with the same lift and 265/70/16 on here, but the 265/27/16 i believe are and inch taller.

sorry I meant to say 265/75/16

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
The 255 will give you the same diameter as the 285 but will weigh less and have less rolling resistance. Honestly, I would go with them since he will be on roads most of the time and not on the trails.

Side Note: The only 255s that I have heard people running was the Maxxis Big Horns but I have no clue if they are good or not.

I just checked the "What axle ratio do I have" thread http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f62/what-axle-gears-do-i-have-my-2nd-gen-32992/

And it appears that you will be rocking the 3.69 but may be able to re-gear to get the 4.09 ratio that would make up for the 285s. Its more work but may be worth the cost to get everything working perfectly and to not loose the power from bigger tires and lift. It may be worth a call to a junkyard or 10, lol.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
My son will be driving this and he is seventeen years old, so the lack of power is not an all around bad thing. Do you think it will be an issue on a highway driving 70 which he might drive rarely? No offroading and this part of texas is flat.

sorry to ask so many questions, I just want it to be right and you guys know best!!!

And would spending the extra money for 255 85 16 save me weight and power over the 285 75 16.
17 yr old with a truck in Texas? that things going offroad whether you like it or not:laugh:

seriously regret not waiting a week to get my 285's cuz my 265's look small with 4 inches of lift...

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
His 285's on his sons truck look sick. The truck came along beautifully. He ended up getting the 285/75/16 Cooper STT's. I helped him find a dealer around his area and he got a sick deal on them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts