Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a stock 2010 SE and I'm looking into new tires. The only issue I'm having is I can't find the stock 265/70/16 locally without having the cost of a special order. I can however get 265/75/16 locally but I've never changed tire sizes so my concern is will the "larger" tires fit without causing any harm?

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
The PRO4X comes with 265/75R16s so you won't have any issues. I ran that size on my 2010 SE and they didn't rub at all. As an added plus, the speedometer is calibrated for the larger size and was more accurate after I upsized.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks BCBrian.

Though my next question is based on my google-fu and usage of the search bar. I have the M226 rear differential. (Since I have an automatic with 4x4. If this is wrong please correct me.) Now that differential has a limited slip and would require the same size tire correct? This pertains to the fact that I don't plan on getting a new spare tire and keeping the stock 265/70/16 since its never been used.

Also does the front have a limited slip? If not I wouldn't mind the extra step of taking the new tires off the front to put in the back should I ever have a flat on a rear tire. Heck I had an old AMC Jeep that I had to do that with.

·
Premium Member
13,458 Posts
If your SE is an auto, you have a C200K. If it's a 6MT, you have an M226. Consider adding your truck specs to your signature.

No 2nd gen Frontier has a limited slip diff. What we have is ABLS (Active Brake Limited Slip), which uses the ABS system to slow down a spinning tire. Both diffs are open.

Running a same sized spare is the best idea. I am running a matching set of 5 now, but for my previous set of tires I had a used spare (same size, similar but different tread pattern) that I picked up at a tire shop for $15.

·
Premium Member
6,602 Posts
X2 on what Jen is saying.

Also, if your truck is a '10, then your spare tire is already 5-6 years old. Unused, yes, but still not new. When going in for tires, Do as Jen did and ask about a used in 265/75, or do like I did when I went to 285's was have them install a house brand A/T tire for the spare. The house brand tire was considerably cheaper than the Duratracs I was putting on the truck.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for correcting me JeniorNV.

While it would be ideal for me to get a new spare the wife doesn't like that fact that I'm spending so much on 4 new tires let alone 5. So for the time being I could run with the smaller spare without issues, as long as I get the flat one repaired right away without causing harm to any of the differentials. Correct?

If it is practical I'll see about getting a used 75 as a spare but that might involve some travel time to find a shop carrying used tires for resale. The ones around here frown on that kind of practice.

·
Premium Member
13,458 Posts
If you have to run a different sized spare, keep the truck in 2WD.

Even then, I'd be concerned that doing so would wreak havoc on the ABLS and VDC (if your truck has it) systems because those systems are designed to activate when they sense a change in wheel speed. No actual experience with this, just speculation. EDIT: Of course, the VDC can be turned off but the ABLS cannot.

The shop I purchased the used spare from is a large tire chain. They won't mount used tires on a vehicle, they sell them strictly as spares.

Failing that, any wrecking yards in your area?

Or do what shizzy suggested.

·
Premium Member
6,602 Posts
:kiss:
Thanks for correcting me JeniorNV.

While it would be ideal for me to get a new spare the wife doesn't like that fact that I'm spending so much on 4 new tires let alone 5. So for the time being I could run with the smaller spare without issues, as long as I get the flat one repaired right away without causing harm to any of the differentials. Correct?

If it is practical I'll see about getting a used 75 as a spare but that might involve some travel time to find a shop carrying used tires for resale. The ones around here frown on that kind of practice.
Does your truck need tires regardless? Would she rather you drive around on unsafe bald tires and crash? So what if you want to spend a dollar or two more in order to be happy?

Tell your wife that by switching to a more common size, you are getting the tires cheaper. This will then negate part of the cost of the spare tire which is also old and not 100% safe. Problem solved.

·
Premium Member
7,379 Posts
Look for an avg of 3.4%-4% increase in circumference.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Your truck will feel slower with the bigger tires. As for the mix match if you ever have to use your spare. For short distances it will not hurt to have the 31 on one axle and the 32 on the other. However for longer distances you will want the same size tires on both sides of the drive axle.

·
Premium Member
6,602 Posts
Your truck will feel slower with the bigger tires. As for the mix match if you ever have to use your spare. For short distances it will not hurt to have the 31 on one axle and the 32 on the other. However for longer distances you will want the same size tires on both sides of the drive axle.
Going from a 265/70 to a 265/75 in a P rated tire won't cause much power loss. If going to a heavier LT rated tire, sure.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
I have found the opposite with tire selection. More 265/70 than the 75, especially when trying to find winter tires.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have found the opposite with tire selection. More 265/70 than the 75, especially when trying to find winter tires.
He didn't say it was true, he just said to tell her that it was. LOL

P.S. As a guy who has been married almost 32 years, I don't endorse such behavior ;-)

·
Premium Member
6,602 Posts
He didn't say it was true, he just said to tell her that it was. LOL

P.S. As a guy who has been married almost 32 years, I don't endorse such behavior ;-)
I'm on my second marriage. I find how you word things to be of utmost importance.

it's not "New" if you hid it in the garage for months. >:D

A new $200 fishing reel on a Rod your buddy gave you = "oh, this fishing pole? nah, Mikey gave it to me, he wasn't using it. >:D

·
Premium Member
13,458 Posts
Those who do not set up "ours" and "mine/your" money from the start usually do.

We've only been doing it that way for the past few years, since I got a decent job . He used to provide the majority of income while I was in school much of the time. I used to be the person trying to talk my spouse into frivolous things like truck mods or anything relating to my other hobbies. We did that for many years.

We split stuff like tires on our primary vehicles. Last winter, he got to convince me that his almost brand new car "needed" new tires. The truck is "mine"...but our two cars are "ours" and anything we buy for them (like tires) is a joint decision.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Can't imagine feeling the need to be less than honest with my spouse about stuff like this...or pretty much anything, that for that matter.
Keep it that way Jen and almost 32 years later you'll still be married too.

Reactions: Marcusfrontrange

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Could run 245/75-16, same OD as 265/70-16, just skinnier

·
Registered
15 Posts
Going from a 265/70r16 to a 265/75r16 I noticed my truck rides a little bit stiffer and I have a little bit of bumpsteer but I bought load range E that way if I want other tires I can use these on my super duty.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts