Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I'm looking to do the titan swap hopefully in the next few months and was just curious as to if I can run 20s and 33s? Anyone ever tried this and if so post pictures below so I can see how it looks or if trimming in necessary thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
Unless you plan to be mad mall crawin 20"s are very poor choice for off road, with a 33 they don't leave much sidewall at all. For 33"s, 16-17" is ideal, 18" can work but you are starting to push it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
U got to remember I live in Mississippi where there is no dunes and it's a 2wd for 4wd (thank god) so just suggestions I like 20s because the tires are cheaper than 16,17 or 18s. I like 20s and 33s

·
Registered
791 Posts
It's not about being on dunes. Actually a lower profile, wider tire would be perfect for the dunes. It's about having sidewall. You'll need sidewall for anything more than a groomed dirt road.

Oh, 33" tires for a 20" wheel are not cheaper. On Tire Rack, a 305/55-20 is $285.29. A 285/75-16 is 159.00.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
911 Posts
Interesting...Here in the upper midwest 20" tires usually cost $50.00 to $100.00 dollars more than 16" & 17" tires.

Edit:
RikRong beat me to it....LOL

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh well they are relatively cheaper down her don't know why. But still I like 20s and 33s so I guess nobody has ever tried this idea...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Oh well they are relatively cheaper down her don't know why. But still I like 20s and 33s so I guess nobody has ever tried this idea...

That's because it's not practical. If you like the way it looks, go for it. Those of us that need taller sidewalls can't and won't use that setup.

·
Premium Member
12,066 Posts
it cracks me up that 99% of the community is function first, and for the most part no one makes their trucks into steaming piles of poop.

so proud.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I'm only running 33's and 16's with no titan swap and had to trim some and remove the front air damn, but id assume the amount of trimming would depend on the offset/backspacing of the wheel you went with and how much lift your expecting from your titan swap. I can't believe you wouldn't have to trim some but with the right wheel it should be manageable at least.

·
Premium Member
611 Posts
If you want to do it, then do it. :) But like others are saying it wont be the best ride. When you have 20 inch wheels you feel everything on the road even with 33's. There's so little cushioning between the tire and the wheel that bumps and every crack in the road suck. If 20's are what you really want then do it but for trucks in general its my opinion they are impractical.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well see when I look at rims I look at the offset so a stock offset is -24 for the 16 inch rims so my 20s would be a -24 offset I'm just worried about the tire rubbing is all

·
Registered
532 Posts
Stock offset is +24

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
I put E-load rated 285/75/16's on my truck not long ago & the ride is much stiffer than it was with my stock size tires. Truth be told I do have to run them at 45psi or I get 12-14mpg if I go any lower. Let me tell ya, the ride isn't bad buuut I definitely feel more of the road through my backside than I did before.

I got really lucky with the way I have my truck setup & didn't have to do any trimming to the fenders or front air-damn at all after I bought my tires. However, I have to watch how fast I go over bumps &/or through rough areas while Im turning or I'll rub pretty good when the suspension is compressed.

Personally, I wouldn't go with the setup you're talking about at all unless you plan on lifting the truck 5"+. Then, with the right wheel & tire combo it would look pretty good. But, it is not my truck so knock yourself out! :smile:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Couldn't I just run a spacer over my extended coilovers for more lift? Just a thought

·
Registered
532 Posts
Couldn't I just run a spacer over my extended coilovers for more lift? Just a thought

unless you do a drop bracket kit anything over 3" is gonna screw up your CV's

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well dayum it. I can't win for loosing with a titan swap? Ok so titan swap and lifted spindles?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Well dayum it. I can't win for loosing with a titan swap? Ok so titan swap and lifted spindles?

didn't realize you were 2WD. you should get about 4" of lift with aftermarket spindles.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah but I'm also doing the titan swap as well so any other lift I can do up front to b able to clear 20s n 33s?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts