Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
2022 Frontier SV 4X4
635 Posts
The third brake light (CHMSL) is not LED. If you were interested in LED upgrades, that's a good place to invest. The Brake and Bed lights are all the same bulb so you could brighten up the bed lights while you're at it.

· Premium Member
2020 PRO4X
298 Posts
The third brake light (CHMSL) is not LED. If you were interested in LED upgrades, that's a good place to invest. The Brake and Bed lights are all the same bulb so you could brighten up the bed lights while you're at it.
Yes, they are all 921, including the cargo bulb, but you should get red for the 3rd brake light, and white for the cargo/bed lights. Red is technically what is SAE/DOT approved, but while the lens on the lens is red and you'd think sticking white bulb would be fine, it would only be a waste of light since it's acting as a filter.

· Registered
2022 Frontier SV 4X4
635 Posts
Yes, they are all 921, including the cargo bulb, but you should get red for the 3rd brake light, and white for the cargo/bed lights. Red is technically what is SAE/DOT approved, but while the lens on the lens is red and you'd think sticking white bulb would be fine, it would only be a waste of light since it's acting as a filter.
To be fair though, the bulb that is in the CHMSL from the factory emits a white light, not red. I have a white LED bulb in mine, and it is noticeably brighter, but still not bright enough to shine pink. It matches the other taillights rather nicely. Also made it easy to buy a 4 pack and have one spare. Either direction is an improvement though.

Reactions: GreyFox

· Premium Member
2020 PRO4X
298 Posts
To be fair though, the bulb that is in the CHMSL from the factory emits a white light, not red. I have a white LED bulb in mine, and it is noticeably brighter, but still not bright enough to shine pink. It matches the other taillights rather nicely. Also made it easy to buy a 4 pack and have one spare. Either direction is an improvement though.
Oh really, interesting. I mean, white will work just fine, only that the lens is intended to have a red bulb. So it is interesting that it comes white from factory. Maybe it doesn't matter or they saving some cents on non-red bulbs when the output is really the same as you've pointed out. Do agree, switching to LED either way is definitely an improvement.

On a semi unrelated note, CHMSL??!! Come on man, just say 3rd brake light like the rest of us hahahahahaha Is that a GM thing? 🤣

· Registered
2022 Frontier SV 4X4
635 Posts
The only GM I own doesn't have one, so I doubt that's where I picked it up. I had been referencing the 3rd brake light as CHMSL because of this thread , with the recall related to them. Just habit I guess . Either way I'm all for an LED 3rd CHM BREAK Light 🤣

· Registered
1,483 Posts
^^ This (y)

Reactions: Lobo1625

· Registered
2023 Pro 4X Baja Sandstorm
94 Posts
Oh really, interesting. I mean, white will work just fine, only that the lens is intended to have a red bulb. So it is interesting that it comes white from factory. Maybe it doesn't matter or they saving some cents on non-red bulbs when the output is really the same as you've pointed out. Do agree, switching to LED either way is definitely an improvement.

On a semi unrelated note, CHMSL??!! Come on man, just say 3rd brake light like the rest of us hahahahahaha Is that a GM thing? 🤣
What does CHMSL actually stand for?

· Registered
1,483 Posts
What does CHMSL actually stand for?
from google:

center high-mounted stop lamp

CHMSL stands for the center high-mounted stop lamp. In a vehicle, the CHMSL is mounted above the left and right brake lights (also called stop lamps)

Banana Fruit Food Gesture Finger

· Registered
1,483 Posts
Older video for a Titan, but the light is the exact same on the Frontier. Same procedure. The only thing I would add is clean the painted finish where the light/gasket rest to ensure it seats on a clean surface. You got it apart, might as well make sure it is clean ;)

· Registered
2020 Frontier SV CC 4x2 Midnight Edition
627 Posts
It's pretty amusing Nissan went to the trouble of going LED for the tailights, but didn't update the hgh mounted third brake light. How cheap can you get? That was one part Nissan certainly needed to improve from the D40. Why it's a carry over is beyond me. They sell all LED replacement units on Ebay and Amazon for about $30 bucks - how much would have really cost Nissan to have a new unit designed when they did the tail lights?

· Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X
717 Posts
It's pretty amusing Nissan went to the trouble of going LED for the tailights, but didn't update the hgh mounted third brake light. How cheap can you get? That was one part Nissan certainly needed to improve from the D40. Why it's a carry over is beyond me. They sell all LED replacement units on Ebay and Amazon for about $30 bucks - how much would have really cost Nissan to have a new unit designed when they did the tail lights?
Every exterior light has to be DOT approved. That's a slow and expensive process. Why mess with it when the 2nd Gen 3rd brake light already works and is DOT approved? If the unit was all LED and a bulb stopped working, you would have to replace the assembly. That's not going to be cheap. Those Amazon 3rd brakes are cheap because they didnt have to pay the DOT fee. The 3rd Gen LED taillights are +$350 a piece. If one of the bulbs stops working,you have to replace the entire tailight. Compare that to the 2nd Gen, a halogen bulb is $10 and you're back on the road. At least Nissan doesn't screw us like GM does. Some of their tail lights are $1k to replace.

· Registered
627 Posts
I guess we just see things differently. The current unit is a mess. Very difficult to change bulbs and prone to leaking. Nissan already got DOT approval for the headlights and taillights, but didn't go the extra mile for the 3rd brake light ? Lame...

· Registered
1,483 Posts
Every exterior light has to be DOT approved. That's a slow and expensive process. Why mess with it when the 2nd Gen 3rd brake light already works and is DOT approved? If the unit was all LED and a bulb stopped working, you would have to replace the assembly. That's not going to be cheap. Those Amazon 3rd brakes are cheap because they didnt have to pay the DOT fee. The 3rd Gen LED taillights are +$350 a piece. If one of the bulbs stops working,you have to replace the entire tailight. Compare that to the 2nd Gen, a halogen bulb is $10 and you're back on the road. At least Nissan doesn't screw us like GM does. Some of their tail lights are $1k to replace.
Ford Rangers' taillights have the radar sensors in them, so they are $$$$ for each. People have been stealing them off trucks as well. Thieves are getting creative and bolder. :mad:

• Helpful
Reactions: Grumpy Shihtzu

· Registered
627 Posts
This is the other part of your answer (my guess). LED circuits don't play nice in moisture. Doing what you want would have been an inclusive board - not just a bulb, similar to how the dome light was setup.
They could have easily designed a sealed unit with LEDS for the 3rd brake light as they did with the taillights. The dome lights in the '23 SV I had as a loaner didn't appear to be any different than in my '20 (ie incandescent bulbs which I swapped to LED in my car). Does yours have LED dome lights?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts