Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

· Registered
2022 S King Cab
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Nissan's never ending quest to provide it's customers with the best value in the truck market, they have taken all the matte black parts from the S and included them in the MN edition which costs about 1800.00 plus another 755.00 for MN door sill plates and step rails. It does include black wheels (just painted SV wheels) and LED HL but holy cow that is a bold move on their part. So, not only did they decontent the 22's and many of the packages, but they unashamedly upcharge for using the base model parts on a special edition. Wow. It does make you wonder how bad Nissan is doing financially when they pull stunts like this.
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car

· Registered
1,181 Posts
ALL the manufacturers do this. It is not just Nissan. Supply chain issues, lack of employees, etc is still causing a strain in EVERY industry. Every business is adapting and adjusting as they see fit. While this may not be your cup of tea, as it is not mine either, someone will buy it. The few Nissan dealers in my area still do not have a too many new Frontiers on their lots. Plenty new Rouges and few more Pathfinders, but not many Frontiers. Supply and demand.

EDIT: GM was eliminating certain features due to chip shortages. Ford, Ranger, has eliminated a ton of little creature comforts like rocker panel plugs, hood struts, tilting head rests, shifter lights, heated seats, etc. They all do it, it's just a matter of what supplies are readily available and bean counting.

· Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X
494 Posts
ALL the manufacturers do this. It is not just Nissan. Supply chain issues, lack of employees, etc is still causing a strain in EVERY industry. Every business is adapting and adjusting as they see fit. While this may not be your cup of tea, as it is not mine either, someone will buy it. The few Nissan dealers in my area still do not have a too many new Frontiers on their lots. Plenty new Rouges and few more Pathfinders, but not many Frontiers. Supply and demand.
Exactly. My dealer has 5 Frontiers, but 15 Rogues. That tells you what's popular here.

Reactions: GreyFox

· Registered
1,181 Posts
Exactly. My dealer has 5 Frontiers, but 15 Rogues. That tells you what's popular here.
Damn, 5 Frontiers, is a gold mine right now. Most I've seen is three, and all were S or SV only. P4X is like a unicorn around here. 😜

Reactions: twoliggett

· Registered
2022 Frontier, CC, LWB, SV 4x4
69 Posts
To be honest, I'm kinda liking the fact that our 3rd gen trucks are remaining somewhat rare because of the supply chain issues... Of course, that also means a likely delay in aftermarket parts (availability and new options).

But agree, it's pretty weak to pull this. But people will buy it nevertheless. In my market, dealers are pulling out of offers if you're not willing to pay more than the agreed price or if you opt out of the BS vehicle protection / coating.

· Registered
1,181 Posts
To be honest, I'm kinda liking the fact that our 3rd gen trucks are remaining somewhat rare because of the supply chain issues... Of course, that also means a likely delay in aftermarket parts (availability and new options).

But agree, it's pretty weak to pull this. But people will buy it nevertheless. In my market, dealers are pulling out of offers if you're not willing to pay more than the agreed price or if you opt out of the BS vehicle protection / coating.
Yeah, they are all still pulling that B.S. around here. Fellow coworker who had to get a vehicle due to a "totaled" accident, just purchased the Subaru Crosstrek. The best deal around was $6,000 over sticker because of the already installed "accessories". Not to mention the interest rate went up a percentage point since they started looking a few weeks ago. Gotta do what you gotta do.

· Registered
511 Posts
I actually wound up with my Frontier because I ordered a Ford Maverick but figured I would never get it, or get it and have a ton of problems.

I need a truck because my Silverado lifters were failing and came across the Frontier. I am so happy how it worked out! The problems are very minor and even if it is a first year, the Fronier appears to be a solid truck.

In my small town there are only a handful of us that have them and I do like that unique factor for sure.

Honestly if it were me I would just get an S model and paint the wheels black and make it the way I want, or even an SV and just customize it.

I don't know what the midnight addition will cost. But my wife's base SV was about $35K out the door.

· Registered
850 Posts
Dealer here has 27 Frontiers. 4 Pro4x's, 1 ProX, 3 Midnight Editions, and the rest are a combination of S's and SV's.

People are buying the Midnight Edition. I've seen them on the website, become sold, only for a few more to arrive the next few weeks.

They had 4 pro4x's last week, including the one I got, another blue one, a red alert one, and a grey one (premium).
ALL OF THEM SOLD. the just got in 4 more.

In addition to the $1790 Midnight Edition Package, there is the Midnight Edition "ESSENTIALS" package, which includes step bars, door sill plates, scuff protectors, and the "FRONTIER" logo on the back filled on. SUCH added value @ another $755 (NOT). Of course, you can't have the Essentials package without the original midnight edition pkg.

OR

you can have the Midnight Edition SPORT edition for another $2110, which just adds a SPORT BAR (essentially for $1355 more. Seriously, a sports bar costs $1355 ? ?

So, to have an add decked out Midnight Edition, that will be another $3900 please. NO THANKS!!!!!!!

· Registered
850 Posts
MN Essentials Package is listed @ 755.

Each component sold seperately.
T99T6-9BU30 $292.30 Step Bars
T99E8-9BU01 $78.20 Scuff
T99G6-9BU9F $54.40 Sill Plates
T99G8-9BU1B $95.20 Tailgate Insert
Total $520.01

$755 charged on sticker. $234.99 MARKUP (what such value).

----------------------------------------

Sports bar
T99Y4-9BU25 can be had for $739.51 (charges $1355 in the package).

ENTIRE BLACKOUT PACKAGE ACTUAL COST = $1255.52 + original $1790 = 3045.52
ENTIRE BLACKOUT PACKAGE STICKER PRICE = $3900

MARKUP $855.

Its hard to determine the actual COST of the original MN package, but I can imagine it isn't $1790.

· Registered
1,175 Posts
In Nissan's never ending quest to provide it's customers with the best value in the truck market, they have taken all the matte black parts from the S and included them in the MN edition which costs about 1800.00 plus another 755.00 for MN door sill plates and step rails. It does include black wheels (just painted SV wheels) and LED HL but holy cow that is a bold move on their part. So, not only did they decontent the 22's and many of the packages, but they unashamedly upcharge for using the base model parts on a special edition. Wow. It does make you wonder how bad Nissan is doing financially when they pull stunts like this.
View attachment 361550
Actually Nissan's financials are pretty strong and are in the black again after 3 years in the red. OEM's generally charge allot for trims/packages and value starts to drop the more you add. Only way to counter that is to negotiate allot of MSRP which is starting to happen again from what some are posting on here. People like the blacked out trims so they will pay more for it. Because Nissan won't offer it at an S price. They all do it. Ford Rangers are atrocious how they bundle options. Its all geared to get buyers to pad up their truck to get to a few options they need. The new Fronty is following Ford in that regard. Like I said the only hope for the buyer is to once again be in a bargaining position to knock off thousands off MSRP.

· Registered
850 Posts
Those are not '22 or '23 window stickers either.

Taken from a '21 Model Year...

The Midnight Edition Package includes Gloss Black painted grille, 18-inch Gloss Black wheels, 265/60R18 all-season tires, body-colored rear bumper, black painted exterior rearview mirrors, semi-gloss black carline badging and Midnight Edition badge. It is available on Crew Cab SV SWB.

The Special Edition Package, offered on Crew Cab SV SWB, includes a trip computer, Satin Chrome grille, body-colored rear bumper, body side decals, and 18-inch aluminum-alloy wheels with 265/60R18 tires.

I could be mistaken, but weren’t the Special Edition & Midnight Edition both “no cost” options before?

Edit: I’m not mistaken!
View attachment 361563

· Registered
2021 Frontier SV CC 4x4; 2018 Frontier SV KC 4x2
1,248 Posts
Those are not '22 or '23 window stickers either.

Taken from a '21 Model Year...
I’m aware it’s a ‘21 sticker. It’s mine. I’m also well aware of what it came with. My point was before the 3rd Gen, they were no charge options. At least in 2021 they were.

· Registered
2022 S King Cab
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The point is not whether "they all do it" it is the fact that Nissan used to be the value leader in small trucks and now they have to resort to stuff like this to make money. Kinda pathetic. More pathetic that people actually pay almost 2K for their truck to look like the base S. WTH? But they did it with the grill on the P4X first which I also thought was pretty lame- "let's differentiate our top of the line halo model by putting the grill off the base truck on it"!
Dealers around ATL have lots of Frontiers on the lots. 10 of anything you want. Local Ford dealer is already back to 9K off sticker and 2.9% financing on F150's.

· Registered
404 Posts
Regardless of the option/price shenanigans, the Nissan Frontier is still the value leader when you compare it to anything similar.

Factory installed options have been overpriced forever. You usually didn't feel it much because of package savings discounting like @JVRaley showed above. Those discounts went away because of market conditions. They either went a la carte', or had to be bundled.

The drop in bedliner on my 2022 S, CC, 4x4 model was $365
Spash guards $210
Off road style step rails $750
Bumper step $295
Floor mats $160
Tech package $990

I didn't order the truck this way, it's how it came and I bought it used. The sticker was $36285. I bought it w/ 2300 miles on it for $33800 +TTL, with an incredible trade-in allowance on my Ram.

I had originally been waiting for 2023 CC, 4x4 S-model to be delivered to the dealership in black w/ no options other than the tech package, floor mats and splash guards for around $36K.

· Registered
850 Posts
Bottom line, whether its "value" or not, If someone likes the "look" or features of the Midnight Package, they're gonna buy it. Yes, its overpriced.

Have you ever seen a ProX or a Pro4X without the $800 step rails? I haven't seen anyone complain about the TECH PKG on any Frontier because its on almost every Frontier pushed out of the factory. Its an option that's there regardless. Don't like the options on the truck from the factory, then order one to your specifications.

· Registered
2022 S King Cab
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My truck has the tech package and it's a mixed bag. I would not have ordered it with it. I would rather have had power mirrors (I didn't even know you could get a new truck without them, lol) and auto dimming rear view mirror- both of which I consider safety items. The adaptive cruise is useless, the auto high beams are worse than useless because you can't turn them off without turning off the auto headlights. Blind spot warning and rear back up warning actually work well most of the time. Auto dimming mirror is standard on almost every car and truck I've looked at but not the Frontier. I realize that it is a money grab on their part but forcing people to buy a package or even an entire model upgrade to get a standard safety option is pretty low. Then, after they get you to buy the next model up, they sell you the MN package that uses the trim off of the base model. Mind boggling that people buy it. But, as WC Fields pointed out, "There's a sucker born every minute" and marketing execs capitalize on it every minute.
But, I don't think what they've done will turn out well for the auto companies. People that paid sticker or over sticker are totally screwed when they go to trade in their vehicle in a few years since they will be very upside down and they will have to put piles of cash on the hoods of new vehicles to cover the negative equity of people's trades. We will be back to big discounts very soon and Ford is already doing it.

· Registered
850 Posts
But, I don't think what they've done will turn out well for the auto companies. People that paid sticker or over sticker are totally screwed when they go to trade in their vehicle in a few years since they will be very upside down and they will have to put piles of cash on the hoods of new vehicles to cover the negative equity of people's trades. We will be back to big discounts very soon and Ford is already doing it.
Sort of off-topic, but certainly related.......How is Nissan putting 99% residual values on 18 month leases on the 23 Frontiers? For one, what lessee going to pay that at lease end after driving it for 18 months / 15000 miles?
and how is Nissan / the leasing dealer going to try to sell it at lease end. Nissan is making a bold gamble here.
Who will absorb the loses if people aren't willing to pay 99% of that for a used truck?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts