Nissan Frontier Forum banner
61 - 80 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
2020 SV Crew
133 Posts
yeah I told him if he would take off the markup I would send him a 1k deposit, and that was the last time we spoke he didn't respond so they aren't budging on it...im still working a few more dealers trying to get some numbers and compare..I will keep everyone informed on the offers I get
If you give it a month til they all have stock and they aren't literally brand new, I think you will find a dealer that will at least sell for MSRP.

·
Registered
2022 Nissan Frontier Pro4X Glacier White
83 Posts
If you give it a month til they all have stock and they aren't literally brand new, I think you will find a dealer that will at least sell for MSRP.
thats exactly what I told him lol...ill be patient and shop around to find the best deal for me...not for them lol

·
Registered
270 Posts
There is no way in hell I'm paying 50 grand for one of those. If I have to wait a bit then so be it!
At the current rate of inflation, they will be going for $50K used in 10 years, and a cheesburger will be $300.00.

Even so, I can't help but remember the VQ40DE timing chain issues, and smod. And those weak spider gears in the 2005 / 2006 locking diff's were awesome! I appreciate all of you running the long term road tests for the rest of us.

·
Registered
83 Posts
yeah I remember the issues and make me wonder if any of that has changed with Nissan...been in a Toyota for the last few years but have owned several Nissans in the lifetime but they were never first model years so im thinking its best to just pass on them for a while...but it is nice for sure and swayed me away from just getting a tacoma...however not fond of the drivetrain in it either....likely reliable but turdish...either way in this day and age its getting hard to find trucks at all at a decent price

·
Registered
478 Posts
yeah I remember the issues and make me wonder if any of that has changed with Nissan...been in a Toyota for the last few years but have owned several Nissans in the lifetime but they were never first model years so im thinking its best to just pass on them for a while...but it is nice for sure and swayed me away from just getting a tacoma...however not fond of the drivetrain in it either....likely reliable but turdish...either way in this day and age its getting hard to find trucks at all at a decent price
Chip shortages are brutal right now. GM announced it will be shutting down most of their plants for two weeks. I heard the Intel near my house in Rio Rancho New Mexico will start making those chips. But it takes time to engineer and test. For the foreseeable future New/Used truck prices are going to be high. Probably a good time to sell a used truck and not a good time to buy anything new or used. I would wait a bit. Nissan price points are right up their with the tacoma and I don't think they can hold up. It might be a better truck but Toyota brand loyalty is unshakable. There is no way Nissan can compete against them on the same price points IMO.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Its not a Nissan specific problem - its everyone first year. I bought my wife a first model year Toyota cheapy CUV. FIrst year had its issues too - but they seemed to fix them pretty quickly. Ours was built late in the model year and many of them were already fixed. The key there is they fixed them, or tried. Nissan with SMOD and with the timing chains said pound sand and went to class action which enriched lawyers and gave owners practically nothing.

How having said all that - Toyota dealers are just as crappy as Nissan dealers, both sale and support.

·
Registered
30 Posts
With all the major players coming out with remodels and PHEV and twin turbo v6s in the next 1-2 years, and assuming manufacturers want to start pumping out vehicles again once parts become more available, hopefully these pro4x will come down to reality around 38 grand OTD. I could chew that. But who knows.

·
Registered
1 Posts
With all the major players coming out with remodels and PHEV and twin turbo v6s in the next 1-2 years, and assuming manufacturers want to start pumping out vehicles again once parts become more available, hopefully these pro4x will come down to reality around 38 grand OTD. I could chew that. But who knows.
Yeah, I was quoted ~2k over MSRP for a Pro 4x today (which was already a 44k vehicle!). I plan on buying one, but not at that price. It's an updated frame from 2005 and the powertrain, although nice, was in last year's vehicle and gets worst in class mpg (part of the reason I want the vehicle is traditional NA engine+proven frame but I'm guessing most truck buyers will disagree). I suspect once the chip shortage is winding down and the refreshed competitors are out, anyone buying at today's prices will feel a bit burned.

·
Registered
83 Posts
just got another final out the door price on a pro4x...this one was even worse $55438 lmfao these folks are delusional

·
Registered
196 Posts
No point to a new frame just to say it has one. Beside turning radius, what below the body needs changed? What is outdated?

Prices will be higher unless Toyota starts a price war IMO

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Still no trucks at my dealer. They expect two; one is already sold @ sticker + $500. I think the high prices will stay for a while. There is limited supply and there is always a buyer with more money or higher need.

·
Registered
83 Posts
another one just came in...out the door 54,448...so if you want a pro 4x anytime soon you better have a fat wallet lol

·
Registered
652 Posts
My 2016 Pro4X is looking better and better each day. Only 27,600 miles on it.
No way I'm I going to pay +$50K. Looks like no new Frontier for me in the near future.

As I get older (70's), I am starting to lean towards a good small / midsize SUV AWD.

·
Registered
196 Posts
They expect two; one is already sold @ sticker + $500.
This might be the second example within the thread that does not have the huge dealer markup. Those actually shopping for today might find something in a wider circle. If looking for below suggested retail then I doubt you will find.

Locally to me, the sales guy I spoke to thought 5k markup. However, didn't have inventory and there were a lot of things he didn't know so grains of salt and all that.

·
Registered
478 Posts
another one just came in...out the door 54,448...so if you want a pro 4x anytime soon you better have a fat wallet lol
Back in 2019 Powerford in Albuquerque got their first Rangers. A XLT for 38K PLUS 5K markup and a Lariat for 47K PLUS 5K. Neither one had a spray bed liner. The Ranger had cloth seats, no sunroof, regular radio. The sales guy told me they would only get a few more by years end. Needless to say, they had a lot full in the fall and some people got really good discounts. However, that was the only time Rangers were cheaper. Sales took off on those and then the pandemic. And then for some reason everyone HAD to have a truck. GM just shut down 8 plants for the chip shortage. Even the Colorado is selling well and that has a knackered defective 8 speed that is a total POS. People have literally gone insane. Tacomas sell for 40K for offroads with 70K miles. Insanity. It gets worse, those buying loaded full size are actually paying MSRP. And those have HUGE margins. Folks used to get 7K off or more. Now they are just paying full. The Intel near me is going to start to make those chips now. OEMS are pissed at Taiwan for the shortages. The shortage will end one way or the other. And allot of people are going to be underwater on their auto morgages. Just be patient. I know once you have the car buying bug its hard to shake off. The other reasons Dealers want huge addendums is so they can keep the trucks on their lots for a few days/week so they can show it off to potential customers and hype it up. I still think the practice is bad for business. It puts a bad taste in customers mouth and likely a one and done sale to that customer. Most likely they would never be a repeat customer and might even change brands or service at another dealership. Some dealers understand the long term consequences of being greedy. Buying trucks is a game. But its hard when the cards are stacked against the buyer. Almost impossible to gain any leverage in negotiations against folks that are sometimes the lowest common denominator in society if you know what I mean.

·
Premium Member
2020 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X
194 Posts
My 2016 Pro4X is looking better and better each day. Only 27,600 miles on it.
No way I'm I going to pay +$50K. Looks like no new Frontier for me in the near future.

As I get older (70's), I am starting to lean towards a good small / midsize SUV AWD.
I bought my fully loaded 2020 PX4 new 8 months ago for 35K OTD including tags/title/sales tax and dealership fees. New prices sound crazy if over 50K now.

·
Registered
478 Posts
This might be the second example within the thread that does not have the huge dealer markup. Those actually shopping for today might find something in a wider circle. If looking for below suggested retail then I doubt you will find.

Locally to me, the sales guy I spoke to thought 5k markup. However, didn't have inventory and there were a lot of things he didn't know so grains of salt and all that.
I agree. Expect to pay MSRP for awhile. Just because an addendum has a 5K markup does not mean they get it. And its impossible to know what they get in the end unless somebody tells you. Not all dealers have huge addendums. Those are generally the familiy owned dealerships that are more customer friendly and see the practice as bad business for future business.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
This launch of the new 2022 Nissan Frontier puts all the advantage with the dealer. Underlying the short supply is the chip issue and is not limited to vehicles as these common components are in variety of electronic goods. Vehicle manufacturers will allocate their scarce supply of chips to the highest profit vehicle with certain limits. Nissan would not stop producing Versa cars so they can use the chips on an Armada. I anticipate the chip shortage to abate in 2022. But there is built up demand so prices will not go back to normal for quite some time. Learn to like your used Frontier.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Lets face it - were in crazy times in general where everything is priced above list because there is no inventory. New model is going to be worse. So forget about it this year.

Goshen left Nissan in a world of hurt - high debt, and capacity for 7M cars when the most they ever sold globally was 5M. Frontier is built in the Canton plant, which also builds the Titans (dud - no sales - still great truck though) and the Altima. Altima is a declining market everyone wants CUV's. So they need to sell a ton of Frontiers or close the Canton plant.

My guess, once production and supply chain is functioning they will lower the price through incentives and try to move as many as they can. US management can't afford not to unless they want only 1 factory left.

So wait a couple years.

·
Registered
2019 Pro4x CC
92 Posts
local dealer here in SE Mass. is advertising 39,000 for a CC SV in red alert with Tow package, Spray in Liner, ETC. Seems like a decent deal from what ive been hearing otherwise.

61 - 80 of 144 Posts