Nissan Frontier Forum banner
161 - 180 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Is this isolated to 2022 models? Or also 2020-2021 subject to the recall?
According to the action posted by Nissan on this thread it looks to be ALL 9 speed transmissions for both Titan and Frontier for the last three years. Yikes. Honestly, don't know if NIssan has a vin list of affected vehicles. I hear allot of hearsay and mumbo jumbo. I find it a reach that they would know exactly which ones are affected. That would mean that affected components have some verifiable number/tracking to sort the bad ones. I'm thinking they all have the same part numbers. Nissan is scrambling at this point. They are trying to avoid having to recall 100K trucks for the last three years. And if they have to pull the transmissions they will be hurting. That would not be a cheap venture. Almost like the bad karma is finally biting them for the SMOD. If this is really affects 20's and 21's then it probably means that Nissan knew about this long before they reported it to NHTSA. And if the truth comes out on that, they will be in trouble.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
where is nissan claiming a vin number list - they have recalled every single vehicle with the original pawl pin, and this new/2nd parking pawl issue has been expanded to all of the nissan z's also. so far none of the documentation that i have seen mentions vin number breaks.
I stand corrected. Well if that bulletin is correct, everything is recalled. So does the trans have to be yanked to fix as one poster said earlier? That is they were told by a dealer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Beware! If you take your truck to dealership for anything, it will be confiscated and held until the recall part comes in and installed. Legally can't be released back due to liability.
Took mine to complain about the cruise control issue and asked about no clear coat in a area under hood (me and the service man checked two other 22 Frontiers and were same so suppose to be that way from factory). Talked about the recalls then got in my truck and drove home and I was their for a good hour or so shooting the ****.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Beware! If you take your truck to dealership for anything, it will be confiscated and held until the recall part comes in and installed. Legally can't be released back due to liability.
A-b-s-o-l-u-t-e-l-y not. They cannot take the truck from you just as a result of an basic recall, regardless of the recall context. In order to confiscate the vehicle it has to be under a special federal process. To my knowledge this has been done once ever, to VW, with the so called diesel gate.

A car can be kept from a customer if a certain aspect is considered unsafe for driving, like exposed belts on tires for example, but even that is a fiddly and legally complicated situation and a general NHSTA recall doesn't count towards that.

Fwiw, for reference, people are still driving around in cars with the Takata airbags that act more like grenades than airbags. The recall was totally voluntary and no one was forced to do anything.

·
Registered
2021 Pro 4x
337 Posts
According to the action posted by Nissan on this thread it looks to be ALL 9 speed transmissions for both Titan and Frontier for the last three years. Yikes. Honestly, don't know if NIssan has a vin list of affected vehicles. I hear allot of hearsay and mumbo jumbo. I find it a reach that they would know exactly which ones are affected. That would mean that affected components have some verifiable number/tracking to sort the bad ones. I'm thinking they all have the same part numbers. Nissan is scrambling at this point. They are trying to avoid having to recall 100K trucks for the last three years. And if they have to pull the transmissions they will be hurting. That would not be a cheap venture. Almost like the bad karma is finally biting them for the SMOD. If this is really affects 20's and 21's then it probably means that Nissan knew about this long before they reported it to NHTSA. And if the truth comes out on that, they will be in trouble.
please stop making things up. i get you are still pissed about the smod issue that was fixed a decade ago, but its time to move on.

·
Registered
2020 Frontier SV CC 4x2 Midnight Edition
568 Posts
This whole thing is confusing to me. They bought a transmission designed by MB which has been in production for a while and does not seem to have this issue. What happened between buying the transmission design and production which created the problem? Another failure by Jatco? They don't seem to be the best partner for Nissan....

·
Registered
2022 Nissan Frontier CC Pro-4x White
25 Posts
This whole thing is confusing to me. They bought a transmission designed by MB which has been in production for a while and does not seem to have this issue. What happened between buying the transmission design and production which created the problem? Another failure by Jatco? They don't seem to be the best partner for Nissan....
Nissan owns 75% of Jatco
Mitsubishi 15%
Suzuki 10%

Quality control issue!

·
Registered
701 Posts
First, Nissan owns Jatco, so that's the main reason THEY make the trannys. Jatco makes the infamous CVT's for not only Nissan, but Subaru, and other manufacturers as well. While Jatco has a garbage CVT design IMHO, they have been making regular trannys for many years with good results. That is one of the reasons I chose this truck ;)

Manufacturing someone else's proven design should be a no brainer, but QC, training, tooling, and tolerances all effect the end product. I feel the recall issue(s) is in regards to tolerances not being met in one specific area. I suspect the issue not only is the parking pawl size itself, but the clearance in the area it moves in?? Just my speculation at this point. I am not too concerned about it, and a fix will be done in due time. Enjoy your rides in the mean time and use the parking brake ✌

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
please stop making things up. i get you are still pissed about the smod issue that was fixed a decade ago, but its time to move on.
I was responding to rockmechanic that brought up SMOD again. Many still talk about it on this forum. Seems you are taking things a little too personal. SMOD was probably the biggest defect from an auto oem that was never recalled that effected thousands owners over decades and still does to this day. Sure Nissan fixed it in 2010. But did nothing to correct the hundreds of thousands of trucks/SUV's that had that bad part number. And I did not intentionally make up the effected vin on current problem. I thought I had read that from another poster talking about vins. Obviously, that was bad information. And I did say I stand corrected. But no ill will or did I intentionally want to give misinformation.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
First, Nissan owns Jatco, so that's the main reason THEY make the trannys. Jatco makes the infamous CVT's for not only Nissan, but Subaru, and other manufacturers as well. While Jatco has a garbage CVT design IMHO, they have been making regular trannys for many years with good results. That is one of the reasons I chose this truck ;)

Manufacturing someone else's proven design should be a no brainer, but QC, training, tooling, and tolerances all effect the end product. I feel the recall issue(s) is in regards to tolerances not being met in one specific area. I suspect the issue not only is the parking pawl size itself, but the clearance in the area it moves in?? Just my speculation at this point. I am not too concerned about it, and a fix will be done in due time. Enjoy your rides in the mean time and use the parking brake ✌
I agree there could be slight changes in tolerances etc.. Just because they license from from DB does not imply its an exact copy of said DB transmission. In Jatco's defense they seem to have sorted out the issues with the CVT. I have not really heard of issues in the last 4 years or so. Also on their higher end models they seemed to never have issue with muranos and the maximum but the 13 and 14 pathfinders did. They were never universally bad but seemed to have bad model/years. Thus why reviews vary so much. I had a 2012 sentra that was flawless. But by that time, the last year of that generation, they had sorted it out. Then the next year 2013 was bad again on the newer gen. But at some point Nissan figured they had to resolve the issues and I believe they have at this point. Also my GM at my dealer said that most of the rebuilt CVT's were generally good over the effected model years. I still feel the CVT has its place in smaller compacts. My sentra had really good response and had a good powerband at most speeds. Only real diss I had was a bit slow off the line. Which is inherit with CVT's.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I agree there could be slight changes in tolerances etc.. Just because they license from from DB does not imply its an exact copy of said DB transmission. In Jatco's defense they seem to have sorted out the issues with the CVT. I have not really heard of issues in the last 4 years or so. Also on their higher end models they seemed to never have issue with muranos and the maximum but the 13 and 14 pathfinders did. They were never universally bad but seemed to have bad model/years. Thus why reviews vary so much. I had a 2012 sentra that was flawless. But by that time, the last year of that generation, they had sorted it out. Then the next year 2013 was bad again on the newer gen. But at some point Nissan figured they had to resolve the issues and I believe they have at this point. Also my GM at my dealer said that most of the rebuilt CVT's were generally good over the effected model years. I still feel the CVT has its place in smaller compacts. My sentra had really good response and had a good powerband at most speeds. Only real diss I had was a bit slow off the line. Which is inherit with CVT's.
Yeah I know those CVTs still give me the creeps. We had a few Hondas with them and have had no issues, and I do like the new Toyota version with an actual first gear before going into CVT mode. Those two companies ARE ahead of the CVT curve in my opinion. But Jatco made some bullet proof automatic transmissions back in the day, so I am hoping that has not changed. This recall is luckily on a part that "I" personally don't worry about. As long as she shifts well and runs well.

I know some here have stated about some hard shifting and I am hoping those issues could be rectified by a software update, not another hardware issue. My personal vehicle shifts fine and I'm still in the honeymoon stage with it. I do miss the easy shifting of my Honda Accord's CVT, but I'm glad to be back in a truck. I actually expected more harder shifting and clunking around in the Frontier, but it is surprisingly refined from what I remember driving a pickup should be. Kinda the best of both worlds...or truck that doesn't know it's a truck and tries to act like a car 🤣

·
Registered
412 Posts
My 2015 Juke Nismo RS has a CVT and it's fine. A lot of the CVT issues were greatly exaggerated and were the result of Nissan USA insisting that the CVT fluid was lifetime fluid (wildly wrong, it needs to be refreshed regularly), and also Nissan USA being bafflingly unwilling to allow dealership techs to swap out the valve bodies - which was the source of like 90% of CVT failures. You can get a brand new valve body for like $300 and it's a 90 minute job for a home mechanic to swap. Nissan fumbled the ball in a huge number of ways on the CVT and the transmission itself being inherently crappy was basically not a part of the equation. The first couple of years of them definitely had issues, but any newer Nissan CVT is totally fine if you service it regularly.

Another problem CVTs had was that they were paired with pretty unexceptional cars mostly, rocking like 130hp, which made people inherently not like how they "performed". I think the Nismo RS Juke is the highest performance car that ever got a CVT and no one would get in my car and complain about its performance. With bolt on mods and a light tune it does 0-60 in sub 6 seconds easy and has genuine torque vectoring AWD. The CVT gives it an almost turbine like acceleration characteristic that is super fun and the lack of actual gear shifting makes accelerating through sharp corners ultra smooth when you get on it.

CVTs are actually kinda cool. Just they got stuck in mostly poopy cars so folks got a bad impression.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Moderator,

Could we please combine this thread with the Frontier Recall thread as both are repeating the same information, adding to the confusion for some....cough cough ???

·
Registered
2022 Frontier Pro-4X Red Alert
8 Posts
What stop sale? Just bought a 2022 Frontier Pro 4X on Sept 13, 2022 and drove it home that day. When installing NissanConnect and MyNISSAN apps I saw the RQ recall in the MyNISSAN app for my VIN. Got a call a couple of days later from the dealership telling me there was a recall for the tranny and to use the parking brake. They said they'd let me know when parts would be available for the fix.

161 - 180 of 202 Posts