Nissan Frontier Forum banner
181 - 200 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Avoid FB groups.
^^^Agree
Not to take over this never ending thread that has morphed into other threads about the same thing....
But I avoid FB like the plague, a friend of mine told me to check out the Frontier FB pages.....🤦‍♂️
Nothing but IDIOTS and trolls there 🤡💩. If you are on there, I'm sorry for you 😁
Complete waste of my time.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
And for the confiscation... Just went to my Nissan dealer and can you believe it, I left without an issue in my 2022 Frontier that I drove in there with.
Things are fluid with this recall issue. You bought your truck over a week ago. There was one recall and then a second one for the same issue. At one point Nissan was reworking trucks and then bam, those too added to the list. The lastest is all 203K titan/Frontier for the last three years and 9 speed Z's are ALL recalled. Could be your dealer was not supposed to sell your truck. Or maybe were told something different on 9/13. Pretty sure most dealers know by now its illegal to sell one.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
He was speaking to the earlier question as to whether a dealer could hold a truck in for service. Lol
I know but the dealer most likely broke the stop sell a week back. I was elaborating/speculating on what must be going on at Nissan. As for confiscating cars that's not going to happen. I've never heard of that regardless of recall. Not even worth worrying about. Most recent comments from Nissan in the last few days is no fix and that owners will be sent letters on Nov first. Will be interesting if they drum up a fix by then.

·
Registered
2022 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X
24 Posts
I just got a call from my dealership in Orange County, Ca. My 2022 Nissan Frontier Pro4x is ready for pickup tomorrow @ noon! I’ll get the details tomorrow and update you guys! Build date for my truck is 08/22.

·
Registered
2022 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X
24 Posts
One thing I noticed on the Nissan page this morning is that the trucks use to say “not available for sale” but today they removed that note. Then today, I get the call that the truck is ready for pickup tomorrow!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Opps! Someone is going to be fired!

·
Registered
2020 Frontier SV CC 4x2 Midnight Edition
568 Posts
First, Nissan owns Jatco, so that's the main reason THEY make the trannys. Jatco makes the infamous CVT's for not only Nissan, but Subaru, and other manufacturers as well. While Jatco has a garbage CVT design IMHO, they have been making regular trannys for many years with good results. That is one of the reasons I chose this truck ;)

Manufacturing someone else's proven design should be a no brainer, but QC, training, tooling, and tolerances all effect the end product. I feel the recall issue(s) is in regards to tolerances not being met in one specific area. I suspect the issue not only is the parking pawl size itself, but the clearance in the area it moves in?? Just my speculation at this point. I am not too concerned about it, and a fix will be done in due time. Enjoy your rides in the mean time and use the parking brake ✌
It may be they have made some good automatic transmissions in the past, but the current 9-sp doesn't appear to be one of their shining stars, at least so far.... I have to wonder how the issue took so long to surface as I thought the whole idea of putting the new drive train in the D40 was to work out the bugs before the 22 came out.

·
Registered
701 Posts
It may be they have made some good automatic transmissions in the past, but the current 9-sp doesn't appear to be one of their shining stars, at least so far.... I have to wonder how the issue took so long to surface as I thought the whole idea of putting the new drive train in the D40 was to work out the bugs before the 22 came out.
Agree...they should have done more testing, but like other manufacturers, they are limited by greed. As a whole THEY ARE good transmissions as I have not heard anyone in the last three years have a major issue. Yes, the parking pawl is a "safety" issue, but it is the weakest point of the tranny with all the weight being held by a pawl/pin. Other manufacturers have had this same exact issue in the past.
I know some here have had some shifting issues as well, but nothing dramatic, more of a preference. I suppose those issues are more of a software tweak?? All these companies are trying to squeeze out every MPG so those shift points are for a better MPG, not a better ride/feel. I'm sure a third party tuner will have a plug and play or flash for this eventually.
I do hope Nissan/Jatco continues making good transmissions, but you never know. Like I stated many times before...any vehicle made nowadays IS a crap shoot...that includes Toyota and Honda in my opinion. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just got a ‘22 Long bed with crew cab 4x4. I live in a very hilly area, and drive 32 miles one way for work, mostly winding back roads with about 12 miles of highway. I have noticed a little bit of a “stutter” when coming from a full stop at a stop sign to take a turn onto a road with an uphill grade. I consider this to be kinda normal? Overall the driving feels buttery smooth so far. No issues I’m concerned with. Can’t wait to drive this in the winter!

when parking I always use the parking brake. I have this irrational fear that the brake will wear down eventually lol

·
Registered
2022 Nissan Frontier King Cab 4X4
698 Posts
I just got a ‘22 Long bed with crew cab 4x4. I live in a very hilly area, and drive 32 miles one way for work, mostly winding back roads with about 12 miles of highway. I have noticed a little bit of a “stutter” when coming from a full stop at a stop sign to take a turn onto a road with an uphill grade. I consider this to be kinda normal? Overall the driving feels buttery smooth so far. No issues I’m concerned with. Can’t wait to drive this in the winter!

when parking I always use the parking brake. I have this irrational fear that the brake will wear down eventually lol
If it is a low speed stutter it should go away as the transmission learns. Others have complained including me and they all seem to have been solved without a trip to the dealership.

Reactions: kilo11

·
Registered
102 Posts
First, Nissan owns Jatco, so that's the main reason THEY make the trannys. Jatco makes the infamous CVT's for not only Nissan, but Subaru, and other manufacturers as well. While Jatco has a garbage CVT design IMHO, they have been making regular trannys for many years with good results. That is one of the reasons I chose this truck ;)
Not nit-picking you brother, but Jatco doesn't make Subaru's CVT. They might have made the ill-fated one they fitted into the 3-cylinder Subaru Justy back in the late 1980's (if you recall those), but the CVT's they've been using since ~2010 are totally in-house developed and built by Subaru. I owned a two of them. A 2012 Legacy and a 2016 Forster. Decent vehicles for sure, but I had my fill of Subarus. LOL.

I've also owned a few Nissan CVTs. We had a 2016 Nissan Quest and currently own a 2019 Pathfinder. I'm well versed in DIY fluid drain/fills with those. The Pathfinder's CVT actually uses a chain as opposed to a steel belt (thus the 6000lb tow rating). We're at 75K miles on the Pathfinder. I've done a bunch of fluid drain/fills on it just for good measure.

I am really curious on the 2022 Frontier's copy of the MB G9 transmission. I've done a bunch of youtubing on it. I know this unit has been around about 10yrs. The seemingly complicated service procedures on it don't scare me. I really hope Nissan didn't drop the ball on this one.

·
Registered
2022 Nissan Frontier CC Pro-4x White
25 Posts
Not nit-picking you brother, but Jatco doesn't make Subaru's CVT. They might have made the ill-fated one they fitted into the 3-cylinder Subaru Justy back in the late 1980's (if you recall those), but the CVT's they've been using since ~2010 are totally in-house developed and built by Subaru. I owned a two of them. A 2012 Legacy and a 2016 Forster. Decent vehicles for sure, but I had my fill of Subarus. LOL.

I've also owned a few Nissan CVTs. We had a 2016 Nissan Quest and currently own a 2019 Pathfinder. I'm well versed in DIY fluid drain/fills with those. The Pathfinder's CVT actually uses a chain as opposed to a steel belt (thus the 6000lb tow rating). We're at 75K miles on the Pathfinder. I've done a bunch of fluid drain/fills on it just for good measure.

I am really curious on the 2022 Frontier's copy of the MB G9 transmission. I've done a bunch of youtubing on it. I know this unit has been around about 10yrs. The seemingly complicated service procedures on it don't scare me. I really hope Nissan didn't drop the ball on this one.
Having owned 2 Pathfinders in the past (2013 & 2019) and never had a CVT issue personally (yes i was in the same Pathfinder forum with you) , can't deny the issues with Jatco's CVTs, worst in the market as far as I know. That being said, they had better none CVT transmission based on history.

Now I agree that let's hope this situation is resolved and not end up being a long term problem, early signs doesn't look that bad, but time will tell.

181 - 200 of 202 Posts