Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Im positive I have a rattling noise coming from the right side of the dash. I haven't been able to pin point it. Ive taken everything out of the truck. Glove box is clear, middle storage is clear, nothing in the rear etc. Only happens when I hit bumps. It annoys the crap out of me, esp for spending so much money. Id love to tell the dealer about it, but If I cant even pin point it, they are just going to take it and tell me cant duplicate. Driving me CRAZY. Sounds like upper dash right passenger side. Ive pushed in panels to see if theres any creaking etc. Nothing.

·
Registered
583 Posts
So Im positive I have a rattling noise coming from the right side of the dash. I haven't been able to pin point it. Ive taken everything out of the truck. Glove box is clear, middle storage is clear, nothing in the rear etc. Only happens when I hit bumps. It annoys the crap out of me, esp for spending so much money. Id love to tell the dealer about it, but If I cant even pin point it, they are just going to take it and tell me cant duplicate. Driving me CRAZY. Sounds like upper dash right passenger side. Ive pushed in panels to see if theres any creaking etc. Nothing.
Wondering if its part of the HVAC system? Maybe the actuators? Not sure how much crap is behind there. I had a bad acuator on my 2005 pathfinder. It would not open/close right away and would make a loud noise when opening. Still worked but was beginning to fail. The design was so bad that it took over 6 labor hours to get to the 10 dollar part. The cost was over 1000 dollars to fix. Ended up selling it with the problem. That sounds like a hard one to locate without taking things apart. And there is a ton of crap behind these dashboards. That would drive me crazy as well.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Years ago, during contract negotiations, UAW workers would tack weld empty soda cans in cars they were assembling. After a while, the weld would fail and the owner had a RATTLE. I'm not saying the workers at Canton intentionally gave you a rattle but mistakes do happen. The dealer is obligated to fix manufacturing defects that affect the value of the vehicle. I would not hesitate to present the problem to the dealer. Tearing a dash apart is labor intensive but the cost is to the account of Nissan. If the dealer stone walls you, just go back enough time to punch the ticket for a lemon law buy back and they will take notice.

·
Registered
253 Posts
If you haven't yet, be the passenger and find a place that will demo the rattle. Assuming it is a panel or clip or ?, light presses in suspect spots may help to locate should you find a way to make it stop. Can also try opening the door or lowering a window to see if sound changes.

Again, assuming a panel or component I would look for:
Door panel
Door panel pocket
Door handle
Glove box - and contents!
Vents
A Pillar
Outside mirror
Grab handle
Seat mounts (hard to catch if sitting in it)
Upper dash trim

You can also give light thumps to surfaces with the heel of your hand when stationary. Can check seat and mirror this way also.

All this assumes you aren't dropping this at the dealer to sort out. Me? I would give it a good go first.

·
Registered
2022 Frontier PRO-4X Boulder Grey Pearl
25 Posts
I know it sounds stupid, but it happened to me, check your sunglasses compartment, it's oversized, if you have sunglasses in there it will make a noises once in a while with the glasses bouncing around in there....

·
Registered
60 Posts
My 2021 is in the shop for the third time due to a resonating noise come from the transmission area . I had to record it as it was intermittently doing it , but Only after 3 separate videos sent to the service manager …. I’m now waiting on an answer. In the mean time I’m in a warranty rental truck .

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have the same rattling - - right side of the dash. I thought I isolated it to the far right a/c vent/ passenger side. You push on the vent, and its that kinda brittle squeaky plastic trim..... I've turned the vents in different directions. I don't seen to notice it as much, but I am not sure that was the cause or not. Happens more in the morning drive.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have the same rattling - - right side of the dash. I thought I isolated it to the far right a/c vent/ passenger side. You push on the vent, and its that kinda brittle squeaky plastic trim..... I've turned the vents in different directions. I don't seen to notice it as much, but I am not sure that was the cause or not. Happens more in the morning drive.
Well its going to the shop today, and they are pulling the dash. Its one thing after another with my truck. Ive already had the whole entire shifter assembly replaced. And now that rattling. Also now that the shifter was replaced its rattling now. I am not going to just deal with it or just try to forget about it. Its a brand new truck, shouldnt be doing that. I want it gone.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have the same rattling - - right side of the dash. I thought I isolated it to the far right a/c vent/ passenger side. You push on the vent, and its that kinda brittle squeaky plastic trim..... I've turned the vents in different directions. I don't seen to notice it as much, but I am not sure that was the cause or not. Happens more in the morn
Also mine seems to be coming from the 1st vent passenger side, in that area.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Also mine seems to be coming from the 1st vent passenger side, in that area.
Very strange. That is some really brittle plastic around those vents. I haven't been in the passenger seat to pinpoint it while driving, but it appears a close culprit.

Push on the border of the vents, and it sort of gives that plastic against plastic sound.

What more strange is that it doesn't do it all the time....Only on the first drive of the day in the morning.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Very strange. That is some really brittle plastic around those vents. I haven't been in the passenger seat to pinpoint it while driving, but it appears a close culprit.

Push on the border of the vents, and it sort of gives that plastic against plastic sound.

What more strange is that it doesn't do it all the time....Only on the first drive of the day in the morning.
My vents do make some noise with the plastic you are referring to, but this is deeper in the dash, it sounds like a washer or penny hitting plastic.

·
Registered
342 Posts
My vents do make some noise with the plastic you are referring to, but this is deeper in the dash, it sounds like a washer or penny hitting plastic.
I hit on the dash, pushed in on the plastic vent frames as hard as I could, and CLOSED the vent in the downward position, and my rattle went away. Fingers crossed this was the cause. will wait til tomorrow to see if its still there.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mine has the same rattle. Mine is the bottom left corner of the passenger airbag. Right below the vent and above the left side of the glove box. I can apply pressure and the rattle goes away.
they ended up finding it. They didnt tear the dash apart. The rattle was from exactly this area. Right near the passenger airbag theres a screw for the panel that was completely loose and not tightened. Rattle gone. Im glad they didnt have to tear my dash apart.

·
Registered
583 Posts
they ended up finding it. They didnt tear the dash apart. The rattle was from exactly this area. Right near the passenger airbag theres a screw for the panel that was completely loose and not tightened. Rattle gone. Im glad they didnt have to tear my dash apart.
Seems there may be some QC issues at Canton. My 19 had a noise on steering wheel (bad airbag install) and the fuel pump was banging against the fuel tank (not secured).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had a similar rattle noise with multiple Nissan models that sound like it's coming from the passenger side dash, searched all over for it. Every case it was the sunglass holder above the rear view mirror. Murano, rogue, frontier (D40 and D41).

1 - 20 of 58 Posts