Nissan Frontier Forum banner

2022 are here in Knoxville

12K views 111 replies 40 participants last post by  Clint 
#1 ·
So I’m at the dealer for the second time with my 2021 SV 4x4 for a noise related to the drive train and look what sitting in the lot
Almost makes me wish I had waited …
I use my trucks for work and usually trade them in at or around the hundred thousand mark so I’m a little ways off .
But I got to check one out close up and really like the updates .

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
i like that color. i love green and my old frontier was dark green. i am a fan of that new body style too and wish i still had a vehicle that needs to be replaced so i could get myself to get one.

we all got new vehicles between july of last year and august of this year so i have no justification for trading anything in.

#6 ·
i like that color. i love green and my old frontier was dark green. ...
Agreed -- it looks great. In the first year of the 2ndGen in 2005, the Frontier was offered in Canteen, which was also a nice green. I waited until '06 to buy and Canteen wasn't offered then or ever again. :(

• Sad
Reactions: busemans
#7 ·
Interestingly, it appears than Toyota will continue to offer a 6-Speed Manual in several versions of the 2022 Tacoma. Unfortunate that Nissan gave up on it. (n)

#8 ·
I do like the new body style and the improved audio system - still irritates me off that Nissan cheaped out on the "upgrade" for the 2019 stereo that lacks Apple CarPlay - but unless something happens to my truck I'll stick with it. It doesn't look like they made any comfort improvement for the back seat passengers as the seat back still looks very vertical.

#17 ·
So I’m at the dealer for the second time with my 2021 SV 4x4 for a noise related to the drive train and look what sitting in the lot
Almost makes me wish I had waited …
I use my trucks for work and usually trade them in at or around the hundred thousand mark so I’m a little ways off .
But I got to check one out close up and really like the updates .
I wish my wife knew that she traded the last 3 in under 30,000. Thankyou for the picture's I hadn't seen the 2022 yet.

#25 ·
wait a second... what the heck is a pro-x? the looks of a pro4 but no actual abilities off road? like kia and their gt line versus their actual gt version? they told me people wanted to the look of a gt but not the performance or cost so they came up with the gt line

#26 ·
It’s the new Desert Runner, or Tacoma Prerunner, or Ranger FX2. It’s not a new concept. They’ve sold 2wd trucks with the “off-road” looks for years.

#29 ·
Holy sheep dip....45 grand for a 2wd PRO-X
Maybe in 2-4 years I will buy a "used" 2022 / 2023 / 2024 PRO-4X

#30 ·
Trucks are scarce right now - and this is an all-new model, which makes it more desirable.

Someone with more money than brains will buy it, rather than waiting a few months.

#37 ·
Don't know about that. Its a Pro-X 2WD Missing the tech package and the premium package. It's a pretty stripped truck for 45K. Yeah the person that spends money like it was monopoly money will probably go for a 4X4 if they are going to pay 5K over MSRP. At least I would hope no body would be dumb enough to pay that much for 2WD.

#31 ·
Marketing assessment - that's funny. Do I get to add $5000.00 marketing assessment to my 2011 if I trade it in? I brought it do their dealer, which is all they did with the new one.

Its absolutely their right, and its supply and demand, so more power to them. When they don't like me calling them the stealer ship that's just too bad for them, if the shoe fits.

#34 ·
Hopefully nobody is stupid enough to pay that much. I saw a loaded Ranger lariat back in 19 when they first came out. They wanted 46K plus 5K dealer addendum. I pretty much told them straight up that was an insult. Sales immediately offered to talk to managment to see if they could sell for MSRP. I told them its not worth MSRP to me. Bought my P4X loaded same day for 35K. Ranger was a better truck but not 10K or 15K better. Not even remotely so.

#36 ·
Oh, I’m sure they’ll sell em all. The real fun will begin in a couple or three years after this “chip shortage” BS is done & prices normalize again. People will be wanting to trade these trucks in that they grossly overpaid for & the negative equity will be enormous. The used market will rebound back to where it was, so these trucks they’re paying $5k over sticker won’t be worth anywhere remotely close to what trade-ins are now. Gonna be a lot of people burned by their own impatience. Not to mention the ones people will turn back in & flat *** walk away from because they just can’t afford a $700/mo payment. That whole thing about subprime lending & all. I mean, I’ve got good(ish) credit, but 1.9% APR w/ very little down good? Probably not.

#39 ·
Oh, I’m sure they’ll sell em all. The real fun will begin in a couple or three years after this “chip shortage” BS is done & prices normalize again. People will be wanting to trade these trucks in that they grossly overpaid for & the negative equity will be enormous. The used market will rebound back to where it was, so these trucks they’re paying $5k over sticker won’t be worth anywhere remotely close to what trade-ins are now. Gonna be a lot of people burned by their own impatience. Not to mention the ones people will turn back in & flat *** walk away from because they just can’t afford a $700/mo payment. That whole thing about subprime lending & all. I mean, I’ve got good(ish) credit, but 1.9% APR w/ very little down good? Probably not.
They are all going to sell but I can assure you they won't all for for 5K over sticker. Especially this 2WD. You might get a few fools with pent up demand for these new frontiers that will pay foolish prices. But that normally blows over after a few shipments. Pretty sure these will get full MSRP for the next year or so. And even that is a bad value IMO.

#43 ·
So the reason why a lot of people drive Frontiers is because they were always cheaper than the competition and were really solid because they hadn't changed anything for so long. The reason I bought the truck I own is because it was almost half the price of similar trucks. I'm not a Nissan guy, this is the first one I owned since my Datsun 210. Now I got lucky and once I worked the bugs out it's been a really good truck for me. When I look at the redesign, which is an obvious blatant Tacoma rip off, and look at the sales numbers from last year, and look at what they want for these( why by a rip off when you can buy the real thing for two grand more). I personally hear The Doors song this is the end in the back of my head. But to be honest I missed the mark with Dodge's huge resurgence when Fiat bought them, so I'm probably wrong. LOL

#47 ·
I'm pretty sure they will not get 45K for this 2WD. This crap is going to fade away really fast. Even with the chip shortage. The bottom line is this truck cannot compete with the Tacoma on the same price points. After seeing the real deal from reviewers this will not unseat Toyota's number one position. At best it will put a small dent in their sales. As it is the tacos are on backorder until next year. If anything, its the Ranger that has the fastest growth. If your going to pay close to 50 grand for a P4X I'd get a Colorado ZR 2 with the 2.8 duramax diesel that still has GM's incredible 6 speed auto. Not much is said about that truck but IMO, the best mid size on the market. Its basically an overseas model that you can buy in the states and its top of class in everything. I'm saying 370 lbs of torque and people get 30 mpg on a regular basis. I'm kicking myself for not going that route in 2019 now that I think of it.

#48 ·
I want to talk about the trucks features and how much I like it but the only thing I can think about is the current price insanity :ROFLMAO::cry:. Prices will get back to reality at some point so I'm curious at what point these will sell for once GM, TOYOTA and Ford come out with their next gens in the next 1-2 years. It will be hard to compete with the fat torque curves and turbos which make a big difference for most buyers. Part of the allure of the frontier to me is the price and simplicity of a NA V6.. so 38 OTD seems reasonable for a p4x with at least convenience package imo. I paid 35.8 OTD for my well optioned XLT ranger in April. I'll just have to stay on top of it to see.

#51 ·
Nah. The guy (or gal) that buys this thing will know it’s 2wd, they just won’t care. Some people just want the look. Like all the mall crawler lifted trucks with hhhuuugggeee wheels & low profile “off-road” tires.

Reactions: Marcusfrontrange
#66 ·
They are openly competing with and chasing market share - intending to take some from Tacoma (while comparing with other brands). Perception vs Costs alone dictates they no longer try to get a small portion of the market based on MUCH lower prices. Also consider:

• This very forum has a survey that puts a big portion of members in a younger demographic
  • Frontier market share isn't where they want to be (nor can afford to be w/investment at 600m)
  • Younger demographic that purchased gen 2's will in theory be in a better place financially than before
  • Being still slightly less $ than competitors will likely result in retaining folks buying for that reason alone
  • Building perception based on price/appearance/marketing, will be an easier sell to a NEW customer base they didn't have before. Those buyers will likely limit themselves to first impression at a dealer, some random review, or maybe some youtube.
OTHER than some of the pkg option issues, I doubt anything they are doing will result in less units sold. That said, has anyone else engaged their web chat and made inquiries about package combos? I suspect that information they gather makes it to a db somewhere.

#69 · (Edited)
Maybe this truck is "slightly less" then the competitors. But not by much. Definitely does not have a real price point advantage like before. In short, they are all expensive now. We no longer have that cheaper option like before. All I know is to get leather and powerseats you have to pay over 44K now. At that price point one can get into a high end Ranger, Toyota offroad. And for those paying over addendum for one and pay lets say up to 50K you could even buy a Colorado ZR 2 with the diesel which has none of the issues of the regular Colorado with the 2.8 duramax, great leather seats, 370 lbs of torque and GM's proven 6 speed auto with up to 30 mpg with the amazing multimatic suspension. It would take allot of money to get a P4X to the offroad level of a ZR 2. And its never going to have the crazy torque at 2000 rpms.

I did test drive a gas powered ZR 2 back in 2019. The suspension impressed me allot. Even on regular roads it insulates any bumps like they aren't even there. I mean its basically a baby raptor. Just saying what one can get for 50K. And some have quoted prices for the loaded p4x for the same money. I realize its pretty early on. But I don't see paying more then 41K for a loaded P4X which should be doable in a year or two.

#73 ·
If they advertised them being 45 grand, a lot of people would immediately look elsewhere. Nissan mentions the packages and the base price but you have to look at the order sheet to see that you cant get the packages independently. They are tiered so you must go tech --> convenience --> premium. Companies do that to get people interested and hoping they can convert that into a sale even with the price being sort of faked. This is a marketing tool that pretty much all makes use. Brochures advertise a base price, then show pictures of a fully optioned vehicle with a disclaimer beneath it. The Rangers are selling so well because the combinations of features, ability to get different packages, and the reasonable price appeal to a huge number of buyers (me being one of them) and Nissan knows this and should also expect that they will not be outselling Tacomas and Rangers any time soon. I'm not an insider or anything but Nissan should be expecting to take a little more of the pie and maybe outpace the Colorado and Canyon for a few years but once the others come out with highly capable trucks with tons of power and capability for less money than the frontier, the frontier prices will drop. Nissan's analysts and business people have already forecasted all of this. I'm full of speculation right now but if I was a betting man, I'd say that prices for these will drop by 10-15% in the next 2-3 years when and if the supply curve moves back to the right.

I'd still be content with a pro4x without any packages. I can add the bed liner and tow package on my own for $700. I don't care about $200 mudflaps and $750 side steps. Nissan, let us order our own trucks!

#77 ·
If they advertised them being 45 grand, a lot of people would immediately look elsewhere. Nissan mentions the packages and the base price but you have to look at the order sheet to see that you cant get the packages independently. They are tiered so you must go tech --> convenience --> premium. Companies do that to get people interested and hoping they can convert that into a sale even with the price being sort of faked. This is a marketing tool that pretty much all makes use. Brochures advertise a base price, then show pictures of a fully optioned vehicle with a disclaimer beneath it. The Rangers are selling so well because the combinations of features, ability to get different packages, and the reasonable price appeal to a huge number of buyers (me being one of them) and Nissan knows this and should also expect that they will not be outselling Tacomas and Rangers any time soon. I'm not an insider or anything but Nissan should be expecting to take a little more of the pie and maybe outpace the Colorado and Canyon for a few years but once the others come out with highly capable trucks with tons of power and capability for less money than the frontier, the frontier prices will drop. Nissan's analysts and business people have already forecasted all of this. I'm full of speculation right now but if I was a betting man, I'd say that prices for these will drop by 10-15% in the next 2-3 years when and if the supply curve moves back to the right.

I'd still be content with a pro4x without any packages. I can add the bed liner and tow package on my own for $700. I don't care about $200 mudflaps and $750 side steps. Nissan, let us order our own trucks!
I don't hear about custom builds so much with the Japanese trucks. However, one used to be able to custom order Rangers and Colorado's. At least before the chip shortages. Might not be easily done these days. Back in 2019 I considered ordering a tacoma with the 6 speed MT. The dealer didn't even want to waste time on it. Overall, I found my local Toyota dealers to be the least service originated to the customer.

Give it some time. Wait until the supply chain fills up and try a few dealers to see if they will build you a stripped P4X and sell it at MSRP. I'd be curious if they would consider building such a truck. Obviously without options it would have less margin on it and they might not even want to waste time. Which is kind of false advertising when they throw that 38K number around. A pseudo truck that may never see the light of day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.