Nissan Frontier Forum banner
81 - 100 of 111 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,525 Posts
@Trent Larson That's wild you could not just order a Tacoma with a manual trans. You can order whatever combination of stuff you want from Ford. But I believe the quality may be less than stellar from them.
They want to sell you what they already have on their lot. I ordered my manual trans Frontier and my dealer said no problem just there is a 10 week wait, it arrived in just under 9 weeks.

Clint

Reactions: FitzIngarage

·
Registered
Toyota Land Cruisers, maybe future Frontier
9 Posts
I'm new to the forum, still checking the Frontier out. The 22's arrived here in SLC, UT yesterday. I drove an SV today. I shot video, but since you can't post anything over the speed limit on the forum and it might hypothetically do that, I'll just tell you. I drove a '22 SV and a '20 Pro4x. It feels bigger than the outgoing model. It feels wider and it wallows a little more on the turns and driveway entry. Turning radius is identical at 5 parking spaces point to point. If you don't measure everything in "PS" as opposed to metric, that might not mean much. Everything on the undercarriage was tucked nicely above the frame rails on the '22.

The new SV was quieter on the road than the Pro4x. It was definitely a better seal and soundproofing. The SV's radio was TERRIBLE...get the upgrade. The bigger screen was nice on the dash, but I do prefer knobs and buttons. I'm 6'4" tall, 260 pounds. I felt like I fit better in the Pro4x than the '22 just because of the door panel differences. I appreciate the cutout for the knee in the older model. The rear seats had tradeoffs. In the '20 model my feet sit higher, causing the knees to be well above seat height, but the seatbacks were more comfortable. The '22 offered a more relaxed leg position, but the seatbacks are more firm and upright.

Overall, I liked the '20 better than the '22, but both were good to drive and had plenty of power.

There you go, for what it's worth.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Cookeville, TN has 16 new frontiers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Do not pay markup on these dealers. It’s annoying. I spoke to all the ones around Knoxville here and they’re crooks IMO. Wouldn’t even text/call me back when I was asking about one. By the time one did, I told them I already secured one in Kentucky on Saturday for MSRP. The dealer I purchased from went out of their way to answer any questions, respond in great timing, and overall make me feel wanted. Other dealers did nothing but promise communication that never delivered and dodged any questions about pricing.

Attachments

·
Registered
269 Posts
Tacotier or Fronoma?

Reactions: JVRaley

·
Registered
2022 Nissan Frontier Pro4X Glacier White
71 Posts
Do not pay markup on these dealers. It’s annoying. I spoke to all the ones around Knoxville here and they’re crooks IMO. Wouldn’t even text/call me back when I was asking about one. By the time one did, I told them I already secured one in Kentucky on Saturday for MSRP. The dealer I purchased from went out of their way to answer any questions, respond in great timing, and overall make me feel wanted. Other dealers did nothing but promise communication that never delivered and dodged any questions about pricing.
looks good...ive contemplated the white however I cant get over the look of the boulder grey...either way sharp truck...hows it drive?

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is my first truck I’ve owned, always owned cars and SUVs but it rides really nice. It has the truck feel so you know you’re in a truck but I no longer cringe hitting road abnormalities and potholes like I would in a car. The interior is surprisingly quiet and refined. I’m very happy with it. I can’t see myself going back to a car anytime soon. Hydraulic steering will take a little getting used to and the turning radius is weird to me for now but it’ll feel natural soon. None of this feels like a con to me, just way different feeling from a car.

looks good...ive contemplated the white however I cant get over the look of the boulder grey...either way sharp truck...hows it drive?

·
Registered
71 Posts
This is my first truck I’ve owned, always owned cars and SUVs but it rides really nice. It has the truck feel so you know you’re in a truck but I no longer cringe hitting road abnormalities and potholes like I would in a car. The interior is surprisingly quiet and refined. I’m very happy with it. I can’t see myself going back to a car anytime soon. Hydraulic steering will take a little getting used to and the turning radius is weird to me for now but it’ll feel natural soon. None of this feels like a con to me, just way different feeling from a car.
yeah im sure it will take a little time to get used to, I drive a tundra so I was curious as to how it compared far as steering feel and the turning radius....I seen a lot of complaints on the prior generation turning radius but I wonder if its coming from first time truck buyers cause it cant be any better than my tundra lol...I did see that the feeling of the steering seemed heavier like it was under boosted...I surely need to drive one to know for myself

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would put the difference this way...
A lot of cars you can turn the wheel at a stop or when parking by the heel of the hand or a single finger between the spokes. Holding the wheel is not required, friction and light pressure is enough. Attempting this same method would at min require a lot more pressure now - but I didn't try.

For test drive l kept my hands on the wheel but did several at stop or slow speed turns in the parking lot. Sales guy thought I was odd until I described what I was doing. He then mentioned it is more than what it used to be adding in the upsell for the improved ratio in this years model. :)

I think Chris has it right, one could say "under boosted" when comparing to other cars. You notice it in a parking lot but on the road I forgot all about it. Has that FEEL or perception that it would be less likely to wander.

My initial impression:
  • Turning/Steering - radius not bad actually. Not as good as a car but having owned S-10s, including 4x4 this wasn't bad at all IMO. Steering is stiffer than other vehicles but this is unlikely to be a problem. If you have petite drivers that spend time trying to navigate at slow speeds, might be worth having them test from their POV. The improved ratio I cannot compare but will say it IS responsive. You are not turning the wheel excessively to make turns.

·
Registered
Toyota Land Cruisers, maybe future Frontier
9 Posts
yeah im sure it will take a little time to get used to, I drive a tundra so I was curious as to how it compared far as steering feel and the turning radius....I seen a lot of complaints on the prior generation turning radius but I wonder if its coming from first time truck buyers cause it cant be any better than my tundra lol...I did see that the feeling of the steering seemed heavier like it was under boosted...I surely need to drive one to know for myself
I drove a '22 SV back to back with a '20 Pro4x yesterday. Tested them in a left turn in a parking lot starting with the wheel locked to the left. Both trucks tracked exactly the same.

·
Registered
71 Posts
A lot of cars you can turn the wheel at a stop or when parking by the heel of the hand or a single finger between the spokes. Holding the wheel is not required, friction and light pressure is enough. Attempting this same method would at min require a lot more pressure now - but I didn't try.

For test drive l kept my hands on the wheel but did several at stop or slow speed turns in the parking lot. Sales guy thought I was odd until I described what I was doing. He then mentioned it is more than what it used to be adding in the upsell for the improved ratio in this years model. :)

I think Chris has it right, one could say "under boosted" when comparing to other cars. You notice it in a parking lot but on the road I forgot all about it. Has that FEEL or perception that it would be less likely to wander.

My initial impression:
  • Turning/Steering - radius not bad actually. Not as good as a car but having owned S-10s, including 4x4 this wasn't bad at all IMO. Steering is stiffer than other vehicles but this is unlikely to be a problem. If you have petite drivers that spend time trying to navigate at slow speeds, might be worth having them test from their POV. The improved ratio I cannot compare but will say it IS responsive. You are not turning the wheel excessively to make turns.

My initial impression:
yeah I have read they improved the steering ratio which should help from having to fight that under boosted feel by not having the turn the wheel as much as before to achieve the same turn...the actual turning radius itself doesn't seem to be improved but shouldn't be an issue unless you are trying to do u-turns all day lol...I dont mind it feeling stiffer or under boosted but youre right someone who lacks in upper body strength should be aware

·
Registered
71 Posts
now that im speaking about white trucks I have located one not very far away....I might inquire about it just not sure how I feel about my second or third option but from what I seen it does have that stormtrooper look in white which I like

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
I drove a '22 SV back to back with a '20 Pro4x yesterday. Tested them in a left turn in a parking lot starting with the wheel locked to the left. Both trucks tracked exactly the same.
From what I’ve read and understand the 2
nd Gen and 3rd are basically the same truck underneath …maybe with some slight improvements . That said they are vastly different above that .

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ill stick with my 2018 frontier king cab 4x4 SV ,
Plus i like the fender flares, compared to the new 2022 frontier, although the new frontier has a nice new look, it will get old real quick, just my opinion,

·
Super Moderator
11,525 Posts
Congratulations! The truck looks great!

Clint

·
Registered
2020 Frontier SV CC 4x2 Midnight Edition
336 Posts
That just $45K for 4x2. Imagine is 4x4, maybe close to $50K or more with added options
You have to remember the 45k figure includes a 5k market adjustment. That isn't real. 40k for a ProX 45 for a Pro4x. Still, quite a jump from the 21...

·
Registered
2020 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X
40 Posts
I'm new to the forum, still checking the Frontier out. The 22's arrived here in SLC, UT yesterday. I drove an SV today. I shot video, but since you can't post anything over the speed limit on the forum and it might hypothetically do that, I'll just tell you. I drove a '22 SV and a '20 Pro4x. It feels bigger than the outgoing model. It feels wider and it wallows a little more on the turns and driveway entry. Turning radius is identical at 5 parking spaces point to point. If you don't measure everything in "PS" as opposed to metric, that might not mean much. Everything on the undercarriage was tucked nicely above the frame rails on the '22.

The new SV was quieter on the road than the Pro4x. It was definitely a better seal and soundproofing. The SV's radio was TERRIBLE...get the upgrade. The bigger screen was nice on the dash, but I do prefer knobs and buttons. I'm 6'4" tall, 260 pounds. I felt like I fit better in the Pro4x than the '22 just because of the door panel differences. I appreciate the cutout for the knee in the older model. The rear seats had tradeoffs. In the '20 model my feet sit higher, causing the knees to be well above seat height, but the seatbacks were more comfortable. The '22 offered a more relaxed leg position, but the seatbacks are more firm and upright.

Overall, I liked the '20 better than the '22, but both were good to drive and had plenty of power.

There you go, for what it's worth.
Your observations pretty much reaffirmed my gut feeling about the 3rd gen: Nissan didn’t do enough to warrant trading in or purchasing new especially at these prices. Super happy I got my 2020 when I did.

81 - 100 of 111 Posts