Nissan Frontier Forum banner
61 - 80 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
$10, nope you’re way off on that. When Nissan told me they wouldn’t build me another 6 foot bed crew cab with a manual trans I bought one with an automatic and then decided in less than a year if I’m going to be driving an automatic I’ll take a Titan instead as I can tow way more weight with it. I drove that for 2 years and 50,000 miles and loved it, I replaced it with another one and at 13 months have 24,000 miles on it and love it too except… I keep thinking about a manual Jeep Gladiator Rubicon with a six speed. I currently have a manual Wrangler, a manual SRT Challenger and a Miata 6 speed. I’m in my mid 60’s and a manual trans is part of my driving being since 1975.
The only upside for the automatic at the moment is I had a tendon repaired in my wrist yesterday (9/8) and with a cast on my right arm can’t shift. That cast stays on for just under three weeks as the doctor agreed to remove it a couple days early so I can drive the Challenger to a car show.
The motorcycle will have to wait as I won’t attempt that until it’s fully healed .
So there you have it, I’ll take a manual any day of the week over an auto trans.

Clint
I hear yah. I sold my MX5 it was a mint 2006 launch edition red with black interior with 6 speed MT. Sold it when I got my truck. That was a really fun car to drive. Titans are really underrated truck. Sat in a P4X titan a month back and its pretty darn nice. You can still deal on those. Most people won't even consider one.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You must buy the tech package in order to get the conv package and you must have conv package to get the premium package.

·
Registered
654 Posts
These new Frontiers are way over priced. Nissan will be out of the truck market in 3 years. Ranger and Yota will have 80% of the market.

·
Registered
2020 Frontier SV CC 4x2 Midnight Edition
335 Posts
These new Frontiers are way over priced. Nissan will be out of the truck market in 3 years. Ranger and Yota will have 80% of the market.
Pretty bold statement considering the D40 was sold from 2005 to 2021.... Have you priced out a Taco lately? And they don't offer near as powerful of a V6 as the Frontier. I do think Nissan needs to up the game on the packages though. They also need to offer the 6ft bed on all models. Some folks want all the options AND a 6ft bed too.

·
Registered
391 Posts
$10, nope you’re way off on that. When Nissan told me they wouldn’t build me another 6 foot bed crew cab with a manual trans I bought one with an automatic and then decided in less than a year if I’m going to be driving an automatic I’ll take a Titan instead as I can tow way more weight with it. I drove that for 2 years and 50,000 miles and loved it, I replaced it with another one and at 13 months have 24,000 miles on it and love it too except… I keep thinking about a manual Jeep Gladiator Rubicon with a six speed. I currently have a manual Wrangler, a manual SRT Challenger and a Miata 6 speed. I’m in my mid 60’s and a manual trans is part of my driving being since 1975.
The only upside for the automatic at the moment is I had a tendon repaired in my wrist yesterday (9/8) and with a cast on my right arm can’t shift. That cast stays on for just under three weeks as the doctor agreed to remove it a couple days early so I can drive the Challenger to a car show.
The motorcycle will have to wait as I won’t attempt that until it’s fully healed .
So there you have it, I’ll take a manual any day of the week over an auto trans.

Clint

Clint
I dig it Clint, be who you're going to be. I just meant what I said, but obviously it doesn't apply. I personally don't mind not shifting so, does that mean I'm getting lazy? LOL I've been enjoying the advancements in really well done automatic transmissions lately, but I stick to the fact that if I'm going to have a two-seater, or redo anything old I still dig the manuals. I guess I just got to a point where I don't want to do it all the time anymore. It seems like unnecessary work. Yep, maybe I have gotten lazy. PS I still have an old Enduro I love riding around in the foothills, albeit pretty slowly by the standards I used to go by.. I encouraged the young man that works for me for the last 18 months into buying a KTM 450 Enduro that is a monster, he was looking at significantly lesser models. And I said if you're going to spend the money do it right. I rode it a couple times and admittedly it is too much for me to actually romp. I know my limitations, but the views I can get to quickly on that.... I'm just trying to do good right now. Hope you know what I mean.

·
Registered
107 Posts
They are openly competing with and chasing market share - intending to take some from Tacoma (while comparing with other brands). Perception vs Costs alone dictates they no longer try to get a small portion of the market based on MUCH lower prices. Also consider:

• This very forum has a survey that puts a big portion of members in a younger demographic
  • Frontier market share isn't where they want to be (nor can afford to be w/investment at 600m)
  • Younger demographic that purchased gen 2's will in theory be in a better place financially than before
  • Being still slightly less $ than competitors will likely result in retaining folks buying for that reason alone
  • Building perception based on price/appearance/marketing, will be an easier sell to a NEW customer base they didn't have before. Those buyers will likely limit themselves to first impression at a dealer, some random review, or maybe some youtube.
OTHER than some of the pkg option issues, I doubt anything they are doing will result in less units sold. That said, has anyone else engaged their web chat and made inquiries about package combos? I suspect that information they gather makes it to a db somewhere.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Some idiot will buy it not realizing it's a 2wd until a week later.
The whole idea of the 2wd "off road" is based off the "pre runner" 2wd off road baja type racing trucks, that were extensions of the old off road buggy racing "dune buggy" things. I thought I read the Tacoma pre runner model was the best selling model for many years, and I though the "desert Runner" was essentially Nissan's equivalent?

So yes, its all for looks, and lower gearing so you can run larger tires at the mall.

·
Registered
361 Posts
You must buy the tech package in order to get the conv package and you must have conv package to get the premium package.
Question is, will they ever build that base 38K dollar Pro 4x that does not have any packages? That's the price they keep throwing around during the launch. I mean the base Pro 4x will have a bare metal box (no spray bed liner, utility track etc.. Or was that just an imaginary truck for advertising purposes?

·
Registered
361 Posts
They are openly competing with and chasing market share - intending to take some from Tacoma (while comparing with other brands). Perception vs Costs alone dictates they no longer try to get a small portion of the market based on MUCH lower prices. Also consider:

• This very forum has a survey that puts a big portion of members in a younger demographic
  • Frontier market share isn't where they want to be (nor can afford to be w/investment at 600m)
  • Younger demographic that purchased gen 2's will in theory be in a better place financially than before
  • Being still slightly less $ than competitors will likely result in retaining folks buying for that reason alone
  • Building perception based on price/appearance/marketing, will be an easier sell to a NEW customer base they didn't have before. Those buyers will likely limit themselves to first impression at a dealer, some random review, or maybe some youtube.
OTHER than some of the pkg option issues, I doubt anything they are doing will result in less units sold. That said, has anyone else engaged their web chat and made inquiries about package combos? I suspect that information they gather makes it to a db somewhere.
Maybe this truck is "slightly less" then the competitors. But not by much. Definitely does not have a real price point advantage like before. In short, they are all expensive now. We no longer have that cheaper option like before. All I know is to get leather and powerseats you have to pay over 44K now. At that price point one can get into a high end Ranger, Toyota offroad. And for those paying over addendum for one and pay lets say up to 50K you could even buy a Colorado ZR 2 with the diesel which has none of the issues of the regular Colorado with the 2.8 duramax, great leather seats, 370 lbs of torque and GM's proven 6 speed auto with up to 30 mpg with the amazing multimatic suspension. It would take allot of money to get a P4X to the offroad level of a ZR 2. And its never going to have the crazy torque at 2000 rpms.

I did test drive a gas powered ZR 2 back in 2019. The suspension impressed me allot. Even on regular roads it insulates any bumps like they aren't even there. I mean its basically a baby raptor. Just saying what one can get for 50K. And some have quoted prices for the loaded p4x for the same money. I realize its pretty early on. But I don't see paying more then 41K for a loaded P4X which should be doable in a year or two.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Pretty bold statement considering the D40 was sold from 2005 to 2021.... Have you priced out a Taco lately? And they don't offer near as powerful of a V6 as the Frontier. I do think Nissan needs to up the game on the packages though. They also need to offer the 6ft bed on all models. Some folks want all the options AND a 6ft bed too.
We are in total agreement on the packages. Ranger and Yota both more options without being forced in to high dollar packages. I’ve driven a 2010 Fronty near 220k now. I’d love to get another, but not enough value when compared directly to Ranger/yota with these new prices and packages in my opinion.

·
Registered
750 Posts
We are in total agreement on the packages. Ranger and Yota both more options without being forced in to high dollar packages. I’ve driven a 2010 Fronty near 220k now. I’d love to get another, but not enough value when compared directly to Ranger/yota with these new prices and packages in my opinion.
This is typical new vehicle rollout, the first year will have limited packages and be mostly loaded models. The people who have to have the latest and greatest won't mind. Over time, more packages and option combinations will be offered.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
This is typical new vehicle rollout, the first year will have limited packages and be mostly loaded models. The people who have to have the latest and greatest won't mind. Over time, more packages and option combinations will be offered.
This is true. There is no sense complaining about high prices, restrictive packages and no-can-get features like 6 ft bed in a P4X. Just wait and everything will normalize over time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If they advertised them being 45 grand, a lot of people would immediately look elsewhere. Nissan mentions the packages and the base price but you have to look at the order sheet to see that you cant get the packages independently. They are tiered so you must go tech --> convenience --> premium. Companies do that to get people interested and hoping they can convert that into a sale even with the price being sort of faked. This is a marketing tool that pretty much all makes use. Brochures advertise a base price, then show pictures of a fully optioned vehicle with a disclaimer beneath it. The Rangers are selling so well because the combinations of features, ability to get different packages, and the reasonable price appeal to a huge number of buyers (me being one of them) and Nissan knows this and should also expect that they will not be outselling Tacomas and Rangers any time soon. I'm not an insider or anything but Nissan should be expecting to take a little more of the pie and maybe outpace the Colorado and Canyon for a few years but once the others come out with highly capable trucks with tons of power and capability for less money than the frontier, the frontier prices will drop. Nissan's analysts and business people have already forecasted all of this. I'm full of speculation right now but if I was a betting man, I'd say that prices for these will drop by 10-15% in the next 2-3 years when and if the supply curve moves back to the right.

I'd still be content with a pro4x without any packages. I can add the bed liner and tow package on my own for $700. I don't care about $200 mudflaps and $750 side steps. Nissan, let us order our own trucks!

·
Registered
92 Posts
IIRC, Toyota dropped the manual in the first year or two of the latest generation before a bit of pressure got to them and they added it back to a few TRD trims. Maybe Nissan might do the same. Or maybe they will force a segment of their current populace to go in another direction when it comes time for their next new vehicle. I know the end is near -- EV motors have so much torque throughout a super wide RPM range that they hardly even have a transmission at all, much less a manual one.
Electric motors have 100% of torque at any rpm. That what makes them so fast is with DC, you control speed by voltage. AC, you control speed by frequency. The computers limit the rpm either way so looking forward to when computer geeks make a Tesla and such even faster since the weight of the vehicle helps with traction.

·
Registered
361 Posts
If they advertised them being 45 grand, a lot of people would immediately look elsewhere. Nissan mentions the packages and the base price but you have to look at the order sheet to see that you cant get the packages independently. They are tiered so you must go tech --> convenience --> premium. Companies do that to get people interested and hoping they can convert that into a sale even with the price being sort of faked. This is a marketing tool that pretty much all makes use. Brochures advertise a base price, then show pictures of a fully optioned vehicle with a disclaimer beneath it. The Rangers are selling so well because the combinations of features, ability to get different packages, and the reasonable price appeal to a huge number of buyers (me being one of them) and Nissan knows this and should also expect that they will not be outselling Tacomas and Rangers any time soon. I'm not an insider or anything but Nissan should be expecting to take a little more of the pie and maybe outpace the Colorado and Canyon for a few years but once the others come out with highly capable trucks with tons of power and capability for less money than the frontier, the frontier prices will drop. Nissan's analysts and business people have already forecasted all of this. I'm full of speculation right now but if I was a betting man, I'd say that prices for these will drop by 10-15% in the next 2-3 years when and if the supply curve moves back to the right.

I'd still be content with a pro4x without any packages. I can add the bed liner and tow package on my own for $700. I don't care about $200 mudflaps and $750 side steps. Nissan, let us order our own trucks!
I don't hear about custom builds so much with the Japanese trucks. However, one used to be able to custom order Rangers and Colorado's. At least before the chip shortages. Might not be easily done these days. Back in 2019 I considered ordering a tacoma with the 6 speed MT. The dealer didn't even want to waste time on it. Overall, I found my local Toyota dealers to be the least service originated to the customer.

Give it some time. Wait until the supply chain fills up and try a few dealers to see if they will build you a stripped P4X and sell it at MSRP. I'd be curious if they would consider building such a truck. Obviously without options it would have less margin on it and they might not even want to waste time. Which is kind of false advertising when they throw that 38K number around. A pseudo truck that may never see the light of day.

·
Registered
29 Posts
@Trent Larson That's wild you could not just order a Tacoma with a manual trans. You can order whatever combination of stuff you want from Ford. But I believe the quality may be less than stellar from them.

·
Registered
2020 Frontier SV CC 4x2 Midnight Edition
335 Posts
Strange to me if you couldn't order a custom made truck. They are built in MS so why not? Should be an easy thing to do.

61 - 80 of 111 Posts