Nissan Frontier Forum banner
41 - 60 of 112 Posts
I'm the opposite on the auto trans thing. I've never owned an auto until my ranger and I thought I'd love the 10 speed it comes with, but after having lived with it for 8k miles, I'd take a manual in just about any vehicle I can get one in.

So the reason why a lot of people drive Frontiers is because they were always cheaper than the competition and were really solid because they hadn't changed anything for so long. The reason I bought the truck I own is because it was almost half the price of similar trucks. I'm not a Nissan guy, this is the first one I owned since my Datsun 210. Now I got lucky and once I worked the bugs out it's been a really good truck for me. When I look at the redesign, which is an obvious blatant Tacoma rip off, and look at the sales numbers from last year, and look at what they want for these( why by a rip off when you can buy the real thing for two grand more). I personally hear The Doors song this is the end in the back of my head. But to be honest I missed the mark with Dodge's huge resurgence when Fiat bought them, so I'm probably wrong. LOL

Ten bucks says if you drove around in an automatic for a couple weeks you'd wonder why you like manuals so much. I used to be the same way, the exact same way. Now when I jump in one of my buddies trucks that for some reason has a manual, I'm like oh crud I have to do this again. Now two seaters that's a different story.
A few years back I bought a Mazda MX-5. Took me a good while to find one with the MT. That is sacrilege putting auto's in that. As for the Frontier I can maybe see some benefit from the outgoing 6 speed MT over the 5 speed auto. But this new daimler benz 9 speed with the crawl gears I don't see any gain using a manual. At least Nissan had the sense to offer a 7 speed MT on the new Z car. That's where Toyota made a BIG mistake only offer the 8 speed auto in the supra. I think Nissan is going to outsell that 3 to 1.

So the reason why a lot of people drive Frontiers is because they were always cheaper than the competition and were really solid because they hadn't changed anything for so long. The reason I bought the truck I own is because it was almost half the price of similar trucks. I'm not a Nissan guy, this is the first one I owned since my Datsun 210. Now I got lucky and once I worked the bugs out it's been a really good truck for me. When I look at the redesign, which is an obvious blatant Tacoma rip off, and look at the sales numbers from last year, and look at what they want for these( why by a rip off when you can buy the real thing for two grand more). I personally hear The Doors song this is the end in the back of my head. But to be honest I missed the mark with Dodge's huge resurgence when Fiat bought them, so I'm probably wrong. LOL
I'm pretty sure they will not get 45K for this 2WD. This crap is going to fade away really fast. Even with the chip shortage. The bottom line is this truck cannot compete with the Tacoma on the same price points. After seeing the real deal from reviewers this will not unseat Toyota's number one position. At best it will put a small dent in their sales. As it is the tacos are on backorder until next year. If anything, its the Ranger that has the fastest growth. If your going to pay close to 50 grand for a P4X I'd get a Colorado ZR 2 with the 2.8 duramax diesel that still has GM's incredible 6 speed auto. Not much is said about that truck but IMO, the best mid size on the market. Its basically an overseas model that you can buy in the states and its top of class in everything. I'm saying 370 lbs of torque and people get 30 mpg on a regular basis. I'm kicking myself for not going that route in 2019 now that I think of it.

I want to talk about the trucks features and how much I like it but the only thing I can think about is the current price insanity :ROFLMAO::cry:. Prices will get back to reality at some point so I'm curious at what point these will sell for once GM, TOYOTA and Ford come out with their next gens in the next 1-2 years. It will be hard to compete with the fat torque curves and turbos which make a big difference for most buyers. Part of the allure of the frontier to me is the price and simplicity of a NA V6.. so 38 OTD seems reasonable for a p4x with at least convenience package imo. I paid 35.8 OTD for my well optioned XLT ranger in April. I'll just have to stay on top of it to see.

That's crazy. As far as I can see only has the convenience package. 45K and it lacks the tech and the prem pack. So no leather, sunroof or most of the saftey features and NO fender audio system. My loaded 19 is definitely more truck then this and I only paid 35K. Literally 20K less. I really hope nobody pays that much. Its an evil practice. Not all dealers mark up this hard. I can see full MSRP or maybe 500 or 1000 more tops for a fully loaded P4X. But only if you want something in the first or second shipment. After that it better be MSRP or less.

BTW, don't assume anyone will pay 5K over list. That same truck will probably sell for thousands less. 5K addendum on a 2WD with only one option package installed is a FAR reach. These guys are in the clouds. After a many walking off the lot in disguist and voicing there disdain of the asking price this dealer will come back to earth pretty quick.
It has everything except the premium package so it isn't exactly stripped. No leather, sunroof or Fender stereo. It has the sprayed bedliner with utilitrack, dual zone climate, full LED lighting, the Pro 4x wheels, step rails and all the electronic nanny stuff. The 5k add-on is what gets me.

Some idiot will buy it not realizing it's a 2wd until a week later.
Nah. The guy (or gal) that buys this thing will know it’s 2wd, they just won’t care. Some people just want the look. Like all the mall crawler lifted trucks with hhhuuugggeee wheels & low profile “off-road” tires.

Reactions: Marcusfrontrange
It is really easy to buy/install a nice AA/CP unit from Sony, Kenwood, Pioneer etc and get a much better sounding stereo for well under 1k (I replaced my head unit and all the speakers for around $700 bucks). Likely better than the new Fender version in the 22 as well. If the Fender is anything like the old RF it will just be tuning anyway. Likely not any significantly upgraded components. The nice feature is the 9" screen.
Yeah, I know aftermarket units have Apple CarPlay and sound better, but honestly I have better things to spend my money on now. Honestly, I don't think the stock unit sounds bad (could have something to do with years of loud music and firearms), but in a 2019 mid-trim level (SV w/VTP) it should have come with CarPlay/Android Auto.

Until I bought my '08 Elantra, I put aftermarket systems in everything I owned, usually doing the installs myself. The one exception was my '82 Corolla, which I had one of the early Alpine in-dash CD players installed in. The head unit had no internal amps and required external ones, so that was WAY more wiring and hassle than I wanted to mess with. After reading through some of the install info on this forum I kind of feel the same way about the Frontier - with the steering wheel controls, backup camera, etc. it is more than I have the patience to deal with. Not to mention I have a red-green color deficiency, so dealing with that many wires is a real headache for me...

The entire seat is cantilevered off the brackets in the floor so it can fold. A latch holds it to the back wall. THere is a fair bit of length to that latch on the back so it might be possible to move the brackets forward an inch or two somehow.

I wonder if there is enough space to just get a couple of more comfortable bucket seats and make them fit - if leg room isn't a giant issue.
I was actually looking at this earlier today while trying to track down a rattle in the passenger front seat. When I have more time I may pull the seat and see if there is any way to move it, but with the shape of the bracket (fits the contour of the floor) I might have to fabricate something. It will have to take a "back seat" to other projects right now, but if I start using the truck for longer trips it may be necessary to make things more comfortable for my daughter.

Ten bucks says if you drove around in an automatic for a couple weeks you'd wonder why you like manuals so much. I used to be the same way, the exact same way. Now when I jump in one of my buddies trucks that for some reason has a manual, I'm like oh crud I have to do this again. Now two seaters that's a different story.
$10, nope you’re way off on that. When Nissan told me they wouldn’t build me another 6 foot bed crew cab with a manual trans I bought one with an automatic and then decided in less than a year if I’m going to be driving an automatic I’ll take a Titan instead as I can tow way more weight with it. I drove that for 2 years and 50,000 miles and loved it, I replaced it with another one and at 13 months have 24,000 miles on it and love it too except… I keep thinking about a manual Jeep Gladiator Rubicon with a six speed. I currently have a manual Wrangler, a manual SRT Challenger and a Miata 6 speed. I’m in my mid 60’s and a manual trans is part of my driving being since 1975.
The only upside for the automatic at the moment is I had a tendon repaired in my wrist yesterday (9/8) and with a cast on my right arm can’t shift. That cast stays on for just under three weeks as the doctor agreed to remove it a couple days early so I can drive the Challenger to a car show.
The motorcycle will have to wait as I won’t attempt that until it’s fully healed .
So there you have it, I’ll take a manual any day of the week over an auto trans.

Clint

It has everything except the premium package so it isn't exactly stripped. No leather, sunroof or Fender stereo. It has the sprayed bedliner with utilitrack, dual zone climate, full LED lighting, the Pro 4x wheels, step rails and all the electronic nanny stuff. The 5k add-on is what gets me.
If its the one from earlier it has the PRO premium package .

I did not see the tech package on the sticker. Did it have that one? I already mentioned it had the convenience. There are three packages.

Nah I looked at the pics on dealer web site. Its got cloth seats so thats a no go on the premium package. On autotrader they just post the MSRP. Something tells me they would take pretty close to that. At 40K they are still making bank. Its the 2WD that's going to make people do double takes on that insane price. Doubt they will get it.

Yeah, I know aftermarket units have Apple CarPlay and sound better, but honestly I have better things to spend my money on now. Honestly, I don't think the stock unit sounds bad (could have something to do with years of loud music and firearms), but in a 2019 mid-trim level (SV w/VTP) it should have come with CarPlay/Android Auto.

Until I bought my '08 Elantra, I put aftermarket systems in everything I owned, usually doing the installs myself. The one exception was my '82 Corolla, which I had one of the early Alpine in-dash CD players installed in. The head unit had no internal amps and required external ones, so that was WAY more wiring and hassle than I wanted to mess with. After reading through some of the install info on this forum I kind of feel the same way about the Frontier - with the steering wheel controls, backup camera, etc. it is more than I have the patience to deal with. Not to mention I have a red-green color deficiency, so dealing with that many wires is a real headache for me...
I know on my 19 pro 4x the rockford fosgate has allot of proprietary components. Basically pretty hard to wire into the mics, backup cam, GPS antenna, The easy part is the harness to the steerwheel controls. It serves me well enough I'm not going to mess with it.

41 - 60 of 112 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.