Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy new year everyone. I've been a long time follower for my 2012 SV. This is my first post and it's for my new to me 2021 Frontier Pro 4X. I bought this on Dec 19th after a BMW ran me and my service dog off the rd in my 2012 SV, into 2 trees on Dec 14. I've been intouch with the dealership about these 2 issues and their answer was to disconnect my battery and rinse the salt off my truck (this fixed nothing). So 1) my Rockford head unit keeps going into an update boot loop that I can't get it out of. 2) My back up parking sensors scream at me in reverse even if I'm in the middle of a deserted parking lot w/ no obstacles. I cleaned the sensors myself w/ soapy water and then again with rubbing alcohol so nothing froze on the sensors. This didn't help. Idk if there are threads on the issues already and if so I'm sorry for the repost and will be thankful for any guidance.
Kind Regards.
Vehicle Gadget Font Display device Auto part

Brown Vehicle Automotive design Car Gadget

Plant Gas Technology Audio equipment Auto part

· Registered
1,328 Posts
Try killing the power from battery via fuse or battery terminals. Not sure how to reset head unit but somebody else might provide that info here. Also your truck should still be in warranty. I would have the dealer re-install the firmware while still in warranty to possible reduce problems later on. I know my 19 had a recall for the camera lines and they re loaded firmware. its takes awhile to do.

· Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X
719 Posts
You can try rebooting the head unit by holding the power button for 10 seconds. If that doesn't work, take it to the dealer. Both issues will be covered as long as you're not over 36k miles.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Try killing the power from battery via fuse or battery terminals. Not sure how to reset head unit but somebody else might provide that info here. Also your truck should still be in warranty. I would have the dealer re-install the firmware while still in warranty to possible reduce problems later on. I know my 19 had a recall for the camera lines and they re loaded firmware. its takes awhile to do.
I took it to a dealership and, according to the paperwork, they supposedly did that, but it didn't work. They said they had never seen that before and had no idea what do.

· Premium Member
2020 PRO4X
298 Posts
That's good to know, ty. I'll give it a shot and report back.
You can also try this after disconnecting the battery. It can drain any residual power, kind of a long shot, but doesn't hurt to try. I suspect the unit is bricked, which they should just replace.

As to the sensors, can you turn them off if you hit the button in the dash?

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can also try this after disconnecting the battery. It can drain any residual power, kind of a long shot, but doesn't hurt to try. I suspect the unit is bricked, which they should just replace.

As to the sensors, can you turn them off if you hit the button in the dash?
So, when i went out to try your suggestion, the loop stopped somewhere around 8pm. The system ran fine. That is what happened last time too, but it startedup again tge next day. I'm wondering if there is a specific time or location that trigers this.
If/when it happens again, I'll give your suggestion a go and see what happens.
The sensors do have a shut off switch which I did use when they started screaming. Problem here is I spoke to the dealership I purchased the truck from and they said it is a known problem and they will/should replace the sensors b/c it will only get worse. Since the dealership I bought the truck at is 2hrs from where I live, I took it to a local Nissan. I think they just didn't wanna deal with it. While I'm loving this truck, it's things like this that make me miss the days of fully mechanical vehicles.
Thank again and I'll keep ya' posted.

· Registered
1,328 Posts
So, when i went out to try your suggestion, the loop stopped somewhere around 8pm. The system ran fine. That is what happened last time too, but it startedup again tge next day. I'm wondering if there is a specific time or location that trigers this.
If/when it happens again, I'll give your suggestion a go and see what happens.
The sensors do have a shut off switch which I did use when they started screaming. Problem here is I spoke to the dealership I purchased the truck from and they said it is a known problem and they will/should replace the sensors b/c it will only get worse. Since the dealership I bought the truck at is 2hrs from where I live, I took it to a local Nissan. I think they just didn't wanna deal with it. While I'm loving this truck, it's things like this that make me miss the days of fully mechanical vehicles.
Thank again and I'll keep ya' posted.
The 2022's have allot more electronics to go wrong. If your still in warranty make sure you take it to the dealer in the "failed state" so you can start documenting the problem. Have them note on the work order that they saw the error on screen. At the very least see if they can re-install the firmware. Also I believe there was a recall to install new firmware to correct backup lines on the camera. I know I had to do that in 2019. See if there is a record of this. If not, they pretty much are obligated to do the work. Even if out of warranty since its considered a saftey recall.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 2022's have allot more electronics to go wrong. If your still in warranty make sure you take it to the dealer in the "failed state" so you can start documenting the problem. Have them note on the work order that they saw the error on screen. At the very least see if they can re-install the firmware. Also I believe there was a recall to install new firmware to correct backup lines on the camera. I know I had to do that in 2019. See if there is a record of this. If not, they pretty much are obligated to do the work. Even if out of warranty since its considered a saftey recall.
Thanks for reaching for the info. I actually have an appointment for tomorrow AM to drop it off at a different dealership but affiliated to the one I bought the truck at. There are currently, and haven't been, any recalls for my vehical, but they have been using the same head unit since like 2013 and there have been recalls on it. Idk, we will see what they have to say, but ty I will keep this all in mind.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok so my P4X is back at the dealership I purchased it from. They have had the truck for 4 days now and no update as to what is going wrong with the infotainment unit. While was there, I spoke to the salesman I worked with and called em' out on claiming the vehical had features no longer eligible for having since Nissan got rid of their Connect app after the hack was found (and blamed it on ATT getting rid of 3G network). Does ANYONE know of a way to get the infotainment unit to recognize Android phones through the USB rather than only BT?

I love this truck. Life would just be a lot easier if this infotainment unit did what I was told it would w/o me having to go aftermarket.

· Registered
1,328 Posts
Ok so my P4X is back at the dealership I purchased it from. They have had the truck for 4 days now and no update as to what is going wrong with the infotainment unit. While was there, I spoke to the salesman I worked with and called em' out on claiming the vehical had features no longer eligible for having since Nissan got rid of their Connect app after the hack was found (and blamed it on ATT getting rid of 3G network). Does ANYONE know of a way to get the infotainment unit to recognize Android phones through the USB rather than only BT?

I love this truck. Life would just be a lot easier if this infotainment unit did what I was told it would w/o me having to go aftermarket.
Your best bet would be to go after market. As far as the features that came with the HU goes those were horribly limited to begin with. Even if you did manage to enable them ( and you won't) you would not like it. Only other thing I've seen is something called Navtool. Although I don't think the touchscreen is compatible with the rockford you will need to hang a little remote on steering wheel to navigate the screen. But they claim carplay and android auto with this interface. I don't see it listed for frontier but it probably will still work. I'd chat with these guys. Remember you will likely need the remote to navigate the HU. As far as my truck having a safety recall for the HU for the back up lines on back up cam it indeed had that problem. But mine was a 2019. Have no idea maybe just that year model?

The USB interface on the HU is basically just to play MP3's which will also show the album art if you have them properly tagged on your MP3 files. Honestly, I've moved away from physical media a long time ago. I've experimented with all the music streaming services and settled with Tidal. Its a bit more expensive but he streams are of the highest quality. To me, they sound better on the BT on the truck then putting a CD in. I think its how they EQ the stream. Also you can stream directly to a home receiver full hi resolution 16 bit if your home system has that capability.

The navigation on the Rockford is a little basic but works pretty good. Hands off phone works as expected and it will read back texts. Honestly, I don't have much complaint about the unit other then the sirius XM sounds like crap from the SAT and the FM tuner is pretty crappy as well. But like I say, if I BT Tidal or use the Sirius XM app on my phone it sounds good because Sirius streams at 256 kbps on the phone app through BT. SAT streams are very very overally compressed at maybe 45 kbps if your lucky.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Your best bet would be to go after market. As far as the features that came with the HU goes those were horribly limited to begin with. Even if you did manage to enable them ( and you won't) you would not like it. Only other thing I've seen is something called Navtool. Although I don't think the touchscreen is compatible with the rockford you will need to hang a little remote on steering wheel to navigate the screen. But they claim carplay and android auto with this interface. I don't see it listed for frontier but it probably will still work. I'd chat with these guys. Remember you will likely need the remote to navigate the HU. As far as my truck having a safety recall for the HU for the back up lines on back up cam it indeed had that problem. But mine was a 2019. Have no idea maybe just that year model?

The USB interface on the HU is basically just to play MP3's which will also show the album art if you have them properly tagged on your MP3 files. Honestly, I've moved away from physical media a long time ago. I've experimented with all the music streaming services and settled with Tidal. Its a bit more expensive but he streams are of the highest quality. To me, they sound better on the BT on the truck then putting a CD in. I think its how they EQ the stream. Also you can stream directly to a home receiver full hi resolution 16 bit if your home system has that capability.

The navigation on the Rockford is a little basic but works pretty good. Hands off phone works as expected and it will read back texts. Honestly, I don't have much complaint about the unit other then the sirius XM sounds like crap from the SAT and the FM tuner is pretty crappy as well. But like I say, if I BT Tidal or use the Sirius XM app on my phone it sounds good because Sirius streams at 256 kbps on the phone app through BT. SAT streams are very very overally compressed at maybe 45 kbps if your lucky.
Thanks Trent. I actually watched that YouTube video when I was trying to find a solution before I started boo hooing on here. From what I found, the price for the unit is enough that I could buy a new HU and pay someone to install it. Lol

There is always a work around. I've been using the nav on the HU while doing Google maps on my phone for the verbal prompt over BT. Manages to make a more efficient drive which obviously pauses what I'm listening too when it prompts so I don't miss out on any amazing traffic, lyrics, news or podcast details. I'm definitely gonna look into Tidal. Thanks for that detail.

I really appreciate everyone's help on here. This is a great community ... now if only our society could be the same way. 😀

· Registered
1,328 Posts
Thanks Trent. I actually watched that YouTube video when I was trying to find a solution before I started boo hooing on here. From what I found, the price for the unit is enough that I could buy a new HU and pay someone to install it. Lol

There is always a work around. I've been using the nav on the HU while doing Google maps on my phone for the verbal prompt over BT. Manages to make a more efficient drive which obviously pauses what I'm listening too when it prompts so I don't miss out on any amazing traffic, lyrics, news or podcast details. I'm definitely gonna look into Tidal. Thanks for that detail.

I really appreciate everyone's help on here. This is a great community ... now if only our society could be the same way. 😀
Just remember you can stream anything on BT. The BT works killer on the RF unit. High quality. Tidal has a free trial now for 2 months for 2 dollars. Get on that right now before the offer expires. They only do that once a year. The tuning on the RF system is really good when you stream high quality content. But like I said the SAT/tuner performance not as good. With the SAT being much worse then the radio. Also remember if you have sirious XM you can use the app on phone for much better quality. Plus you have access to hundreds more channels that are not offered on the SAT streams. Only drawback is you need to setup whatever your going to listen to while your stopped being everything is running on phone through BT. A positive is over time you may have less issues with the buggieness of android auto.The RF being solid state and BT is backward compatible. Wheras Android audio might start glitching out with a new version of android on phone or when they update AA itself. IMO, most of the AA HU's might not even work in 10 years from now as they keep updating it. Similar to what happened to the app on the old rockford system.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts