Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well it was hard for me to find where to put this question, hopefully good enuf...
am contemplating buying a 2021 Frontier SV 4WD for my first ever truck. i just need something to help me haul big things home as i recently moved to the country and no one delivers where i am! it will basically be my backup/big stuff vehicle which means it won't get used very often. i'm going for the 4WD just incase as we have a lot of dirt roads and once in a while enuf rain or snow will make them pretty nasty. also got plenty of trails i might explore with it...if it fits and i think i won't get stuck lol.

i want to know what how others feel about them, especially what you think the worst thing is about them.

thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
2020 SV, Silver
475 Posts
I went for the '20 as i did not want all the add-on technical and safety features I knew they would put into the next generation. I really wanted a used '18 or '19 with low mileages, but there was nothing available for the 6 mos. I searched, so said OK to a new '20. It was a great deal as the dealer had 54 in stock and wanted to get them sold. I do like the transmission and engine and like that its essentially a Gen 2, just new powertrain. Makes for a reliable and long lasting truck.

·
Registered
102 Posts
In my opinion a 2021 is about as sweet as it gets. It's the last model year for the 2nd gen. Pretty much everything on it has been around since 2005, with exception of the direct injected 3.8L and 9spd, which should gain you more fuel economy.

·
Registered
2020 Frontier Pro-4x, 2022 Frontier Pro-4x
34 Posts
I have a '20, same thing as '21. My truck drives great and I knew going into it that the platform was nearing EOL, and therefore didn't have more modern features. This is part of why I love it. Gen 2 platform, but newer model year. I can't think of anything bad about it, really. I purchased in October '21 with under 2k and currently has 15k. So far it's been perfect and a joy to drive.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I got the 2020 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4x4 SV. It was a toss up between that and a Chevy colorado, CC LB, but with the diesel. Really glad I got the Nissan. I recently drove a work truck, Colorado, 2WD, Ext Cab. Besides the short turning radius, I realized how soft the steering was and a few other little things that I've come to appreciate on the Nissan.

Now granted, I did drive a 4x4 Diesel Colorado and I seem to remember it being a bit more solid and the steering being not so soft, so maybe the 4x4 components stiffen things up

The overall feel of the the nissan is really solid. It feels like you're driving a bigger truck. I had a 97 Dodge 1500 and it has a similar feeling...including large turning radius.

There are a few things, though that I did wish it had...like a little bit better radio with Apple Car play and Android auto. And I've been on some pretty hairy trails with it and it did amazingly well. Even some of my friends with Toyota's have commented on it. And it's still stock while they all lifted theirs.

The only unknown (in my opinion) is that transmission. But I'm sure Nissan will sort it out. But as others ahve said, it's hit and miss. and if you dont' like it there's some software upgrade that you can do that makes it run better. and the recall for it...well you just have to use your parking brake for the time being.

and the price point can't be beat. You're getting Japanese quality for for less money than a Ford and without the electrical issues that seem to plague the US made cars.

The Frontier's are a bit utilitarian, but if you want a work truck, then why pay for bling or an over-inflated brand name.

·
Premium Member
2022 SV CC 4X4, Glacier White
877 Posts
i'd agree that would be better but hardly a showstopper
Yota dropped the driver side grab handle with the 14 Tundra redo. Seems that crash test dummies hit their head on it pretty hard. Yet, many 14+ Tundra owners retrofitted the grab handle since the A pillar hadn't changed. Can't do that with the 22 Frontier....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got the 2020 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4x4 SV. It was a toss up between that and a Chevy colorado, CC LB, but with the diesel. Really glad I got the Nissan. I recently drove a work truck, Colorado, 2WD, Ext Cab. Besides the short turning radius, I realized how soft the steering was and a few other little things that I've come to appreciate on the Nissan.

Now granted, I did drive a 4x4 Diesel Colorado and I seem to remember it being a bit more solid and the steering being not so soft, so maybe the 4x4 components stiffen things up

The overall feel of the the nissan is really solid. It feels like you're driving a bigger truck. I had a 97 Dodge 1500 and it has a similar feeling...including large turning radius.

There are a few things, though that I did wish it had...like a little bit better radio with Apple Car play and Android auto. And I've been on some pretty hairy trails with it and it did amazingly well. Even some of my friends with Toyota's have commented on it. And it's still stock while they all lifted theirs.

The only unknown (in my opinion) is that transmission. But I'm sure Nissan will sort it out. But as others ahve said, it's hit and miss. and if you dont' like it there's some software upgrade that you can do that makes it run better. and the recall for it...well you just have to use your parking brake for the time being.

and the price point can't be beat. You're getting Japanese quality for for less money than a Ford and without the electrical issues that seem to plague the US made cars.

The Frontier's are a bit utilitarian, but if you want a work truck, then why pay for bling or an over-inflated brand name.
a lot of good info here, ty. i can't believe u have so much truck experience that you hit on something i could relate to (cuz i have almost none)...used to drive my ex's 1500 in the late 90s and i remember that same thought, felt like a bigger truck and the turning radius (which i've heard others comment on about the frontier too). but dang no android auto lol...can you project your phone screen (like for navigation) onto the dash screen somehow? usb? screen mirroring (prob not but never know)? not that its important, can go back to suctioning my phone to the dash if needed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yota dropped the driver side grab handle with the 14 Tundra redo. Seems that crash test dummies hit their head on it pretty hard. Yet, many 14+ Tundra owners retrofitted the grab handle since the A pillar hadn't changed. Can't do that with the 22 Frontier....
wow that's scary had no idea! i'm fairly short tho @ 5'2"...i don't think i've ever hit my head on anything :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
164 Posts
but dang no android auto lol...can you project your phone screen (like for navigation) onto the dash screen somehow? usb? screen mirroring (prob not but never know)? not that its important, can go back to suctioning my phone to the dash if needed.
Actually, I take that back. Maybe someone here can verify...but I think there's a package that comes with a better radio that might have Android Auto and/or Apple Car Play. I installed an updated radio in an older model Camry and it is pretty slick.

But even without that, there is a USB port in which you can plug your phone in and you can play music from it to your stereo (like playing spotify, pandor, a radio station with an app, or I even assume just music from a website). You can also plug in a memory stick, and I assume an MP3 player. I think you can also play songs off your phone (if you have MP3's on your phone). I haven't verified all that because I mostly play internet radio stations or just local radio stations. and I've only had the truck maybe 6 months or so.

So it's not totally 19th century if you don't get the technology package (I think that's what it's called). I think that's one of the first upgrades folks do is update the radio.

My only other niggle is the steering wheel. It can be kind of slippry at times.

oh, and when you unlock your doors it doens't make a sound., so during the day it's hard to tell from a distance that your doors actually unlocked. And when you lock them it beeps the horn. and that can be loud in the middle of the night. Not sure why they can't use a nice 'beep' noise like the toyotas and subbies.

but those are small issues that would not have pushed me away from my purchase.

·
Registered
2020 SV, Silver
475 Posts
Actually, I take that back. Maybe someone here can verify...but I think there's a package that comes with a better radio that might have Android Auto and/or Apple Car Play. I installed an updated radio in an older model Camry and it is pretty slick.
The updated Nissan radio that fits a '20 or '21 is basically the radio/HU they put in the Pro4X for those model years.. There is no Apple or Android on that radio. It essentially only gives you Sirrus/XM and navigations. In order to get Apple Car Play or Android Auto (which sucks) you need an aftermarket unit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well, i test drove the used 21 SV i'm considering, as well as a 22 SV (cuz u know...salesmen) and i liked the 21 better for sure. but i'm not a truck driver per say, of course i've driven other ppls trucks in the past and some for work but this will be my first truck purchase ever and am 50 yrs old, female. i liked the 21 better because the steering felt better to me...easier (but i don't mean light or sloppy). it felt more like a car in the handling than a truck and i guess that fits me better. now it wasn't a big difference but def noticeable...the 22 was a little harder to maneuver and combined with the new body style (which seemed bulkier in comparison) gave it more of a truck feel. nothing wrong with that, just a personal preference. drivewise they felt the same, performance was def nice (of course wasn't hauling anything), had decent power & trans felt smooth. compared to my pos 2020 kia soul, it felt like a beast lol.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts