Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. About a month ago I bought a midnight edition 2021 frontier. Currently got 1200 miles on it. Just like others I am seeing some rough shifting between gears 1-3. There has also been a few times where it hesitate shifts between 1st-2nd. And coming to a sudden stop it hard downshifts back to 1st. Also notice a clicking noise right when you come to a complete stop, is this the transmission disengaging or just shifting back into 1st?

For any of you that own a 2020 or 2021 Have any of you presented any of these concerns to the dealer? I found a few threads on here concerning the 9speed but only found maybe one person had a replacement at 6k miles.

Just curious if this is truely normal behavior.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2020 Frontier SV CC 4x2 Midnight
32 Posts
My 2020 is at about 1800 miles and every time I drive it the transmission is smoother and smoother. I did have rough shifting during the break in period but its all pretty much smooth with some random hard downshifts. As mentioned in other posts you may need to change your driving style somewhat; press the pedal firmly and steady when starting from a complete stop. If you push down lightly and inconsistently the tranny gets confused and it'll be rough. I don't think I've noticed a clicking noise, but I'll keep an eye out. On deceleration to a complete stop I do hear what sounds like a turbine spinning down, reminds me of the regenerative braking in hybrid cars

·
Registered
2020 SV, Silver
185 Posts
I've the 20, no issues. I noticed the hesitation on a test drive, my vehicle doesn't have this. I have 2800 miles now, just did a 1200 mile trip that had a lot of twisty and hilly driving on the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive, it shifted just fine through all that, maybe helps to be majorly hard of hearing, yuk, yuk, but if something had been weird, my wife would have commented.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2020 here with about 1200 miles, so far..It does seem a little smoother than it did when I first took it home. Runs through the first 3 or 4 gears quickly. Just takes some getting used to.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
The driver's input is interpreted by the more advanced ECM/TCM. I like what others have stated that a firmer foot on the go-pedal helps to resolve these hesitancy/shifting issues. Babying the pedal seems to not work out as intended.

Reactions: exzisus

·
Registered
69 Posts
Mine shifted noticeably between gears 1 and 3 for the first 500 miles. However, it smoothed out considerably after 1000 miles. I have noticed that much of a hesitancy or shifting issue comes from the way I have been driving. It really doesn't like having the pedal stabbed down -especially if you are between gears 1 and 3 and coming to a rolling stop. I tried this once in an intersection and the latency was unexpected and not welcome! Since then, I have tried a more deliberate and firmer pedal input and haven't been able to repeat the hesitation.

It has been said on this forum before, and I think it is accurate, that you must firmly "roll" into acceleration and not just stab the accelerator down. Once I started being firm and deliberate but not erratic with the accelerator, I haven't noticed any weird shifts or latency.

The truck always seems to be in the right gear for conditions with the exception of 0-8 mph rolling stops with an erratic or light pedal input and no weight in the truck. The older 4.0 L w/ auto responded great when you goosed the gas but it would be in 1st gear while the newer 9 speed has 3 gears to choose from under 10 mph.

I recently hauled about 800 pounds of flooring and I think I realized why gears 1-3 are so low. When starting from a dead stop with some weight, the truck doesn't feel burdened or strained because the gearing/transmission is really set up for doing work and appreciates the firmer pedal input w/ weight.

In the 4.0 L auto, you would definitely notice that the truck was carrying weight when starting from a stop. Although the truck could handle the weight, the drivability and performance changed noticeably. I think the low gear ratio and shifting in the 9 speed is just more noticeable in an unloaded truck in the low gears because the truck is set up for maintaining some level of performance while towing/hauling weight. It just performs better with average sized loads. Everything is a trade-off and I suspect that towing performance will be greatly improved as well. I haven't towed anything substantial yet so this is just my working hypothesis.

In all, I really like the new drivetrain- lots of fun to drive and plenty of power.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2020 midnight that I just purchased & I have the same issues. 2nd to 3rd it feels like it's skipping.

And when I come to a stop the truck shifts hard into 1st gear, and always seems like it's trying to go oven with my foot firmly push down.

I've got around 3k miles.
When the truck is warmer, it doesn't seem to be as violent as from when I first leave the house. (Transmission that is)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the 2021 midnight 4x4 SV and just started noticing this. I have just over 2k miles and it only seems to happen right after startup and in stop and go traffic.

I also have a steering issue that I'm trying to address with customer affairs now. (I'm not the only one. You can see more about this issue on this thread: Brand New 2021 SV 4X4 with Steering problems)

I traded in a 2017 chevy colorado with a 9 speed that was constantly getting warranty repair for the transmission. I finally gave up and traded it in thinking the frontier would be worry free. So far not the case. The MPG might be better with the 9 speed but it seems to be trash! I'll be addressing this with nissan as well.

Just to confirm isn't the 2020 a 7 speed?

·
Registered
23 Posts
My 21 KC 4X4 with 3,000 miles seems as normal as could be. A little harder shifts when towing 20 ft fishing boat but that is to be expected.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have the 2021 midnight 4x4 SV and just started noticing this. I have just over 2k miles and it only seems to happen right after startup and in stop and go traffic.

I also have a steering issue that I'm trying to address with customer affairs now. (I'm not the only one. You can see more about this issue on this thread: Brand New 2021 SV 4X4 with Steering problems)

I traded in a 2017 chevy colorado with a 9 speed that was constantly getting warranty repair for the transmission. I finally gave up and traded it in thinking the frontier would be worry free. So far not the case. The MPG might be better with the 9 speed but it seems to be trash! I'll be addressing this with nissan as well.

Yes im part of your thread. I have the same issue. And no the 2020 is the first year they introduced the new 9 speed and 3.8L v6. Also do me another favor if you have time. Im also part of a thread where several of us with these engines noticing that the oil level from the factory was high. Way past full mark. Too much oil for brand new frontier.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Also one more thing. Ive already tried to address this with nissan and was told its operating normal. Also went to another dealership and test drove one and told them "Im just looking" and the 2 that I tested did the same thing.

·
Registered
2020 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X
199 Posts
Also one more thing. Ive already tried to address this with nissan and was told its operating normal. Also went to another dealership and test drove one and told them "Im just looking" and the 2 that I tested did the same thing.
It's apparently a software thing. The Titan guys with the 9 speed said they have a software update for the transmission that smooths it out

1 - 14 of 14 Posts