Nissan Frontier Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
That render is amazing! I wish Nissan would quit teasing us and reveal the Gen3 lol.

·
Registered
61 Posts
It looks great. The front end on some of the other renders wasn’t quite right. I like it!

·
Registered
476 Posts
If it looks like that rendering, I'm liking it. Definitely difference than the spy shot photos, but they could intentionally use different parts for things like wheels, headlight, side mirrors etc., to throw people off. Meanwhile, Nissan finally has the 2020 on its site: 2020 Nissan Frontier | Mid-Size Pickup Truck | Nissan USA
\

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
If, and that's a huge IF, it looks like that rendering, then its a cool looking truck.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Here's more photos, from tow testing in Death Valley. Honestly doesn't look vastly different than the current gen, taller hood, slab sides and bigger snout for sure, but squint and it looks like a Frontier. I'm more optimistic about it now.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Not a bad looking rendering, but it's not official.

I would consider this, but I still have a list of needs that would have to be met.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I hope they unveil it soon. I'd like to decide whether to wait for this or start looking at other trucks. I grow antsy.....
Same here. Came very close on a 19 Titan but honestly its a bit too big for me and my needs (just want a little more passenger room). Everyone is gonna have a Bronco so that deters me a bit and NOT buying a Toyota. Don't like the look of the Jeep at all... Come on Nissan!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Same here. Came very close on a 19 Titan but honestly its a bit too big for me and my needs (just want a little more passenger room). Everyone is gonna have a Bronco so that deters me a bit and NOT buying a Toyota. Don't like the look of the Jeep at all... Come on Nissan!!
I like the titan but same with me it's a gas guzzler. Bronco I have absolute no interest. I already have a 2014 wrangler which is almost the same type of vehicle. Tacoma is my other thought if I don't do the frontier as for the gladiator, I like it but WON'T spend $35k for a vehicle with crank windows. Like I said, I already own a jeep and know how they equip them if you were to go lower trim.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Bad news boys. My convo w corp Nissan below...

Hi, I own a 2008 Nissan Frontier CC Nismo edition that I bought new in 08. I have interest in the 2020 Nissan Frontier. Can you please tell me if the VQ38DD has dual DI and port injection or not?

11:49 AM

Lonnie, We appreciate your interest, and we will pass your question along for further clarification! Rest assured, we will reach back out to you once we have an update. Kind regards, Rachael

5:59 PM

Lonnie,

Thank you for your patience. Our 2020 Frontier is equipped with a Direct Injection engine. We invite you to view a full PDF version of the Owner's Manual by visiting https://www.nissanusa.com/content/dam/Nissan/us/manuals-and-guides/frontier/2020/2020-nissan-frontier-owner-manual.pdf.

Sincerely,
Rachael

8:01 PM

Thanks Rachel.

Chat Conversation End

Type a message...

·
Registered
240 Posts
So....a few thoughts from the Spyshots, The Teaser Vid, and the latest rendering.

The teaser vid, to me looks like a regular D40 with a new front end photoshopped on. I wouldn't trust it.
The rendering doesn't seem to get the headlights, mirrors, fenders or hood-sweep correct. The rendering went a little more aggressive than the spyshots imply. From the spyshots, The headlights are reflector-type, mirrors are more like the current gen, the fenders don't have 2 steps, and the hood line is lower....now this could change with the Pro4X.

From my interpretation, here's what I like and dislike:
Like:
Attempting to keep an aggressive front stance, I still think the current gen has the best front fenders, which blend in from the bumper.
Modern front end. As much as I like the current fronty, the front is in most need of an update.
Dual front recovery hooks, bout damn time.
They finally put on a shark fin. Little things that matter, no more wobbly antenna.
A little tall, but still appears to be narrow and easy to park/drive. The test mule definitely needs bigger tires.
Mostly based on the rendering, I really like the lighting, if it's true.

No like:
Squared up and raised the front end. Just like every other truck, it's now impossible to see what's directly in front of your bumper, like a child.
Longer nose, too. I want my next truck to be a long-body, but longer where it counts. Adding another foot to the nose doesn't give me more cargo capacity.
F-150 front window slope. I hate it on the Ford and I hate Nissan for trying to look like a Ford.
Higher bed, higher shoulder line. Less visibility in your rear view mirror, more difficult to lift something in the bed, more difficult to reach something from the side.
Gigantic headrests blocking the entire rear window, STILL (I removed my D40 headrests so I could see).
1980's rear window. Nissan isn't even trying to help me transport long objects and it makes a yet-to-be-released truck already look like it's 20 years old.

Wishlist:
Small bump in Tow/Payload capacity. 7,000-7,250 would be fine, catch up to the other guys, but don't kill the comfort/handling.
Convenient dry cargo areas. Places for straps, hooks, boots, tools, etc.
Modernized interior, but still able to take a beating.
Better rear window
Highway/trailer assists (that can be turned off)
Better side mirrors for towing
Better turn radius
Retain the handling of the D40, if not improve, make it feel small and nimble.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Here's more photos, from tow testing in Death Valley. Honestly doesn't look vastly different than the current gen, taller hood, slab sides and bigger snout for sure, but squint and it looks like a Frontier. I'm more optimistic about it now.

I like those shots better than the earlier renderings. I prefer the lower hood w/o a big bulge for visibility up close. Was working out of state and had reserved a 4WD SUV. They didn't have any left, so gave me the off road version of the Taco (2019 model). HATED that hood.

In fact, there wasn't much to like in that truck over my 2010 Pro-4X except for the backup camera and radio. Made me so happy I have a Frontier.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Yeah, I agree about the Toyota hood.. I checked one out at last year’s auto show— visibility isn’t nearly as good as the Frontier.

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
I like those shots better than the earlier renderings. I prefer the lower hood w/o a big bulge for visibility up close. Was working out of state and had reserved a 4WD SUV. They didn't have any left, so gave me the off road version of the Taco (2019 model). HATED that hood.

In fact, there wasn't much to like in that truck over my 2010 Pro-4X except for the backup camera and radio. Made me so happy I have a Frontier.
Welcome back, quietman!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
If latest pic in this thread of 2021 is accurate, I think that’s a great change. I like the boxy look and some of the titan-ish lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
To me it looks like they've simply done to the Frontier what they did to the Titan a few years ago. The roofline and B- and C-pillars look a lot like our D40, and the general platform dimensions likewise look similar. It would not surprise me if this new truck is just an evolved D40, like the D22 Frontier was just an evolved D21 Hardbody. That would also help explain why they bothered to package the new drivetrain into the D40 chassis, because the new truck's chassis isn't substantially different than the current one.

·
Registered
61 Posts
@TWX, I think they said the new chassis is just an updated version of the D40 one, so yeah you’re right on. That’s a good thing although I would like to see a little improvement in turning radius, and maybe front travel. I’m liking what we can see of the interior so far, and the general shape of the exterior. I may be ready for a 2023 (my 2016 Pro 4X only has 30K on it).

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
The 2005-2019 platform is a good one. My mechanic, who is a huge Toyota fan and has a Tacoma, is very impressed with the Frontier - particularly the frame and underpinnings. A mid-sized truck built like a full size underneath were some of his words.

Sometimes the best changes, including styling, are evolutionary rather than revolutionary. While the styling of the 2nd generation Frontiers may be dated, it was a very nice body style with great visibility and, except for the turning radius, makes a great "City Truck" which is heavy duty enough for the country. Which may explain why I have yet to see a Titan in obvious business use, yet there are many, many Frontier SV V6 Kings and Crews in business use. Around here, the typical pleasure Frontier is a Pro4X, which is used as a car, the typical work truck Frontier is an SV [which in Canada means mandatory V6] and then you have people like myself that like the S [mandatory I4] that need to shop in Nova Scotia because the two Nissan dealers in PEI only want to sell Pro4Xs and SVs, but the Nissan dealer in Westville Nova Scotia likes to carry the S models [that's where mine came from]. Of course, all the Nissan dealors in the Maritimes that I have checked are out of Frontiers and probably will be until the 2021 model comes along as the 2020 model is USA only. Unless the good folks in Canton keep making 2019s for the Canadian market.

·
Registered
61 Posts
A local dealer just got a 2020 Pro 4X in stock. Tempting to drive it just to check out the powertrain.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts