Nissan Frontier Forum banner

241 - 260 of 350 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Crew Cab
153 Posts
With my 2016 manual frontier and other manual vehicles, I would always set the parking brake. With the autos I've owned, I never really used the parking brake much, except for with my current auto Frontier. It's just habit I've developed with the truck due to having the manual Frontier before, and it's not a bad idea anyway.

I hate those stupid foot pedal parking brakes full size trucks often have

·
Registered
66 Posts
lol im 48yo and since I was 16yo....I've used my parking brake 98% of the times. It's an automatic motion when I am driving. My dad taught me to always use it. He told me about some how the automatic breaking (in Park) on some old car he had and had to use hand brake to keep it from rolling. I get my parking brake adjusted and all. But I def use it when I'm launching or pulling in my boat on the ramp. I to this day do not trust leaving vehicles in Park only.

Reactions: PhilFrontier

·
Registered
2019, Nissan Frontier SV 4x4, Arctic Blue.
265 Posts
One of those warnings you see on the visors(yea the ones nobody ever reads) Actually state you are ALWAYS supposed to set the parking break when parked.

EDIT: Also the reason for the MAJOR redesign for the frontier for the North American markets is that the NAVARA, from Europe was intended to be Gen 3 for NA. It was featured in NA auto shows, and Ford and GM obviously based many of their designs off of that. (looking at current ford rangers, and GM canyons).

The issue, why it didn't become so? Simple it could NOT PASS the NHTSA crash tests or get past the safety regulations in Canada! They tried for years to get the ratings up, but never could.

This is actually quite interesting because many professionals regard Europe's cash testing systems as highly accurate/better/more strict. (maybe Ghosen/Nissan had paid those European officials off? Or did Ford and GM backdoor lobby the NHTSA for it to fail?). The world will never know.

·
Registered
108 Posts
One of those warnings you see on the visors(yea the ones nobody ever reads) Actually state you are ALWAYS supposed to set the parking break when parked.

EDIT: Also the reason for the MAJOR redesign for the frontier for the North American markets is that the NAVARA, from Europe was intended to be Gen 3 for NA. It was featured in NA auto shows, and Ford and GM obviously based many of their designs off of that. (looking at current ford rangers, and GM canyons).

The issue, why it didn't become so? Simple it could NOT PASS the NHTSA crash tests or get past the safety regulations in Canada! They tried for years to get the ratings up, but never could.

This is actually quite interesting because many professionals regard Europe's cash testing systems as highly accurate/better/more strict. (maybe Ghosen/Nissan had paid those European officials off? Or did Ford and GM backdoor lobby the NHTSA for it to fail?). The world will never know.
I heard something like that. That it would cost a ton of money to pass with all the modifications. Also the F-alpha platform already had a LWB available whearas the Navara was never designed for that. The leaf springs rear suspension is more capable for heavier truck duty (a complaint from those from Australia). You can bet money the leaf suspension and LWB models will continue on the next generation. Also just found out the reason they killed the Xtera was because of the stadium seating roof design. They couldn't get that passed the feds anymore. I know sales were dropping towards the end but IMO, that would have really picked up again in recent years. Hopefully they might base something like that off the third gen Frontier. So far from all the camo shots I'm not liking the looks of the next gen frontier. But we only have to wait a few more weeks. Nissan pretty much said they will be unvieling two models at end of month. They really don't have anything that is ready to show other then the new Pathfinder and frontier.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I heard something like that. That it would cost a ton of money to pass with all the modifications. Also the F-alpha platform already had a LWB available whearas the Navara was never designed for that. The leaf springs rear suspension is more capable for heavier truck duty (a complaint from those from Australia). You can bet money the leaf suspension and LWB models will continue on the next generation. Also just found out the reason they killed the Xtera was because of the stadium seating roof design. They couldn't get that passed the feds anymore. I know sales were dropping towards the end but IMO, that would have really picked up again in recent years. Hopefully they might base something like that off the third gen Frontier. So far from all the camo shots I'm not liking the looks of the next gen frontier. But we only have to wait a few more weeks. Nissan pretty much said they will be unvieling two models at end of month. They really don't have anything that is ready to show other then the new Pathfinder and frontier.
Nissan is dragging this out worse than Ford did the Bronco reveal :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
If the reveal is say January 29, 2021 and say consumer production commences in April 2021, then it should be introduced as a 2022 model, not a 2021. Does not make sense to introduce something for a particular model year when its half over, given that a model year normally starts in the Fall of the old year. Otherwise, the 2021 model is late to the game and shows disappointing sales. Now, maybe they could call it a 2021.5 but that sounds dorky.

A good argument would be to introduce it first in Canada as Nissan Canada's dealer stock of 2019 Frontiers is empty and the 2020 Frontier was never available here. Get a decent number of 2022 Frontiers on all Canadian dealer lots in April and May 2021, pull the plug on the Titan as planned, then roll out into the USA as the 2020s start thinning out in May or June 2021.

Canadians tend to prefer one notch smaller - Civic rather than Accord, Corolla rather than Camry, Tacoma rather than Tundra, Frontier rather than Titan. Plus, makes it easier to put the Titan out of its misery in Canada while letting it hang on in the USA.

Reactions: woodtemple

·
Registered
66 Posts
I love the new Titan, and ill be deciding between the new Frontier and the New Titan once i see the Frontier....I do wish they made a heavy duty Frontier XD. Not sure what I would put in it other than possibly the Long Bed on all models and beefed up frame and engine? not sure...I think a turbo 3.8 would make better power vs. the 5.6 V8. Price tag would easily hit $50,000+
but get the towing up to 8500-9500 range. My wish list...but never going to happen lol.
I'm surprised Nissan is slacking on using the "Warriors" as a brand flagship model. Again, would not be many sold but it would give the Nissan truck line a solid image like the Rapture and Velociraptor for ford. On a side not....I hate what they did to the Pathfinder. My first car was a 1987 2 door Pathfinder. Ended up owning 2 of them. This Frontier reminds me so much of my old Pathfinder.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I love the new Titan, and ill be deciding between the new Frontier and the New Titan once i see the Frontier....I do wish they made a heavy duty Frontier XD. Not sure what I would put in it other than possibly the Long Bed on all models and beefed up frame and engine? not sure...I think a turbo 3.8 would make better power vs. the 5.6 V8. Price tag would easily hit $50,000+
but get the towing up to 8500-9500 range. My wish list...but never going to happen lol.
I'm surprised Nissan is slacking on using the "Warriors" as a brand flagship model. Again, would not be many sold but it would give the Nissan truck line a solid image like the Rapture and Velociraptor for ford. On a side not....I hate what they did to the Pathfinder. My first car was a 1987 2 door Pathfinder. Ended up owning 2 of them. This Frontier reminds me so much of my old Pathfinder.
On the Nissannations YT channel Dave showed a picture of a upgraded Frontier that looked like Nismo trim about 7 months back. It was blurry and not really clear but it was definitely a notch up from what we have seen on the camo trucks running around Tenn. It had a stepped up grill, and flared out fenders. Looked pretty tough. Dave got allot of grieve from Nissan for posting that video and they had told him not to do it. Makes me think there is something to that story. I'm thinking they will turbo the 3.8 its not a matter of if but when. Because in a few years Ford will start basing their ranger off the bronco platform and you know that means the 2.7 turbo with 400 lbs of torque. You know GM Toy and Nissan all know this is going to happen and they will have to have something remotely competitive.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Nissan is dragging this out worse than Ford did the Bronco reveal :rolleyes:
My guess is third week of this month. Based off what Nissan has stated I'd be really surprised if they didn't. I don't think they need to worry about cannibalizing 2020 sales. They have only sold just over 26K trucks in the first three quarters. It can't get any worse then that lol. Best bet is for them to just get the third gen out ASAP. Once they have their supply chain and tooling ready I hear it only takes a month to switch over. At least from what somebody told me that worked on the Nissan line in Tenn. As for Ford they are dragging delivery dates and changing up the bundles/prices. I hear they are starting to piss off customers and will probably end up having allot cancelling their reservations.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Crew Cab
153 Posts
I'm just eager to see the pricing and specs and all that junk so I can decide whether I'm keeping this Frontier until it's dead or not lol.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yeah.... I just want to at least see it. They did a good job (sort of) showing off the new 400Z. I do not think we will see one hit the streets until mid 2022. But at least potential customers know what's coming and hold out if that is what they want.
I just want to know...even if they release it in a year LOL. I think the day of "Make Em Wait and Surprise/Dazzle Them" is gone. today people need info and I feel purchase faster with the facts that they know.
Anyway....ill be waiting lol.

·
Registered
2020 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X
13 Posts
New on the site here, so this is my first post. Not sure if this video has made the rounds here, but it seems like Mexico has started getting the 2021 Frontier...

·
Registered
265 Posts
what is up with those headlights?
Edit 1:
From the front it looks like the lenses need glasses, seeing double....
Edit 2"
On further inspection that actually looks a lot like the one they are showcasing, to the camo'ed one. It wouldn't be unheard of for them to just redesign a couple parts, grill, doors to make it look completely different/(like another manufactures') The bed shape and the overall profile really look close.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Edit 1:
Edit 2"
On further inspection that actually looks alto like the one they are showcasing, to the camo'ed one. It wouldn't be unheard of for them to just redesign a couple parts, grill, doors to make it look completely different/(like another manufactures') The bed shape and the overall profile really look close.
The led lights are on the navara pro 4x trim. Has the optional 2.2 twin turbo diesel I believe at just under 200 HP but around 330 lbs of torque. More importantly that torque comes in around 1500/2500 rpm instead of the 4400 rpm on the new 3.8. In short, that there is a real truck motor. And i'd give anything to buy one in the states. Only con is the independent rear end that can't really handle larger capacities. Like the current us frontier you can put some beefy leaf packs if you know what I mean. We are all hoping for a future nismo model with a turbo on the 3.8. US spec will still be based on the F-alpha so don't get your hopes up very much on anything like the global truck.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
I got fooled with the Frontier badging... Shame on me.
Its understandable. Having a Navara, a Navara named Frontier and a Frontier is super confusing, especially when the Frontier-Navara is in Mexico and can easily cross the USA border. Very confusing.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Edit 1:
Edit 2"
On further inspection that actually looks a lot like the one they are showcasing, to the camo'ed one. It wouldn't be unheard of for them to just redesign a couple parts, grill, doors to make it look completely different/(like another manufactures') The bed shape and the overall profile really look close.
My hunch is that the platform will be the same. Same Alpha frame, maybe stretched a few inches just because the other sheep keep making their mid-size trucks longer and Nissan feels compelled to follow those other sheep. Or maybe Nissan will do the right thing and keep to the sizing, maybe just adding an inch or so. The second generation Frontier platform is a great one. Yes a few tweaks could be made to improve ride, handling, load capacity, but the platform is otherwise a winner. Its strong and the Canton made ones are quite rust resistant. Ride I think is good and handling good for a truck.

Personally, I like the sheet metal of the 2nd Gen. My dream Frontier would use the second Gen sheet metal with new front and rear ends, with LED lighting etc. And make the tailgate spoiler part of the tailgate not an add on. But, I recognize some people like a boxy, generic looking truck rather than a curvy, distinct look.

I'm looking forward to the grand reveal. People keep complementing me on my 8 year old truck and asking about buying the latest version. I tell them there are none available, but new ones are supposed to be coming sometime this year but nobody knows what they look like. Meanwhile, Canadian Nissan dealers keep putting up pictures of new Navaras or Navar-Frontiers to try to reassure their customers that the replacement is coming and it will look truly different.

Reactions: woodtemple

·
Registered
265 Posts
I think there are areas that may of been make more user friendly, (like rear window, and cab design compared to standard Navara) for the NA market, but other than that I do not see Nissan wasting millions of dollars right now to Build a completely new platform just for us.

They have other platforms that need updating more. In addition if anyone follows the business news Nissan Renault is not doing too hot right now they keep cutting back more and more. They are bleeding money to the point the French and Japanese governments will more than likely have to intervene in the not so distant future.

And Covid or not, Ghosen predicted that Nissan would end up going bankrupt in less than 5 years after he was ousted, It may be sooner than we think because of the catalyst of the virus.

·
Premium Member
6,479 Posts
If Nissan were to ever offer a turbo'd engine in a Frontier, then look for an I4 (or maybe a smaller V6 than the new 3.8). A twin turbo 3.8 could EASILY outperform the 5.6 V8.

241 - 260 of 350 Posts