Nissan Frontier Forum banner

221 - 240 of 350 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
I don't understand the stereotype that "millenials" can't drive manual transmissions. What do you think most millenials learned to drive on? Econo shitboxes from the 80s and 90s, most of which were manual lol.

Besides, the oldest millenial will be 40 years old next year.
I wish I had a quarter for everytime someone (tire shop/Work) has jumped in my truck and couldn't drive it...

and 99% of the time, they are under 40

Hell, I had a guy changing tires on my '91 240SX at Discount tire. He jacked up the rear of the car on the differential, and then couldn't figure out why the car was rolling on him... "WTF? Did you leave it in Park?"

I said "no, it is in 1st with the parking brake set..."

he said "then why is it rolling? this is front wheel drive!"

I said, "No.. it is rear wheel drive, you just jacked it on the diff..."

:whistle:

·
Registered
986 Posts
I wish I had a quarter for everytime someone (tire shop/Work) has jumped in my truck and couldn't drive it...

and 99% of the time, they are under 40
A couple years ago, I went to go pick up my commuter car from the dealership at about 6:00pm. The lone service writer remaining said he'd go get my car. He left and...I waited for about 20 minutes. He returned on foot. He said he didn't realize my car was manual and couldn't drive it, so he went looking all around the shop for someone who could, but almost everyone else went home. I asked if I could just walk back there and drive the car out, but he said the night porter can drive manual and will drive the car up.

For what it's worth, the service writer was definitely under 40, and the night porter was probably in his sixties.

Reactions: Reverend Bow

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Same thing happened to us at a Subaru dealer just before closing. The young service writer handed us our keys with embarrassment and said we'd have to get the car. Yes, I believe a manual transmission becomes a more meaningful theft deterrent with each passing year.

·
Registered
66 Posts
We need Nissan to stop playing.......and release 2021/22 Frontier info before the pressure/Deals make me buy a Titan

Reactions: FitzIngarage

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
We need Nissan to stop playing.......and release 2021/22 Frontier info before the pressure/Deals make me buy a Titan
You hit the nail on the head! They think by stalling and tormenting us they can make us buy Titans.

Well Nissan. you make a Titan available with the 3.8 litre V6 as the "Titan Eco" and sell it for $32K CDN and it will sell like hotcakes and drag people in who will pay $51K to $80 K CDN for a regular V8 Titan.

A low priced entry model can be very handy for bringing folks in the door. The Frontier S with the I4 and a $24.5K CDN base price, with automatic, brought a lot of people into Nissan dealers here in Canada. Most ended up adding $10K to the price to leave with a V6 and 4x4 - still a great deal.

·
Registered
66 Posts
With the heavy discounts here in the USA.... You can get damn near $7500-$9500 off a 2020 Titan. I would get a fully loaded Pro X4 (msrp $61k) and seen some as low as $51k. Im pretty sure a fully loaded 2021 new Frontier Pro x 4 will be about $49,999 MSRP if not more. Id also bet they will not discount them much at all.
the titan have everything I want (except for 12k towing lbs) and gas mileage. I really want to stay in the Frontier size category tho....so if the Frontier only have a few modernized features... Id have to do the Titan...that rear seat floor set up, panoramic roof and space have me open...but I bleed Frontier lol so i am waiting.

My complaint is they know/have enough information to let us know....so more will hold off from buying something else. I think they are waiting to make a splash shocking announcement when it is launched and ready to sale vs. how they did the 400Z and premiered it years ahead of time. The way they premiered the 400z may work for them....so that buyers know its coming and what they will get so they will wait and not buy another vehicle....or say its ugly and buy something else anyway lol.

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab LWB 4x4
1,455 Posts
Hell, I had a guy changing tires on my '91 240SX at Discount tire. He jacked up the rear of the car on the differential, and then couldn't figure out why the car was rolling on him... "WTF? Did you leave it in Park?"

I said "no, it is in 1st with the parking brake set..."

he said "then why is it rolling? this is front wheel drive!"

I said, "No.. it is rear wheel drive, you just jacked it on the diff..."

:whistle:
None of which has to do with the kind of transmission the vehicle uses.

Age doesn't mean anything other than inexperience, and even then, I'm sure in your generation there were plenty of people that couldn't drive stick, or couldn't drive it well, or ended up just deciding that the automatic was easier. Why do you think the automatic transmission was developed from the 1940s onwards?

Reactions: woodtemple

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Crew Cab
153 Posts
None of which has to do with the kind of transmission the vehicle uses.

View attachment 325223

View attachment 325224

View attachment 325225

View attachment 325226

Age doesn't mean anything other than inexperience, and even then, I'm sure in your generation there were plenty of people that couldn't drive stick, or couldn't drive it well, or ended up just deciding that the automatic was easier. Why do you think the automatic transmission was developed from the 1940s onwards?
Not to mention that many of the automatics that young people are buying cheap and learning to drive on were probably owned by older generations first, so who's to blame 🤷‍♂️

Manual transmissions are going the way if the dodo in North America, except for a select few enthusiast vehicles and a couple of new commuter cars. It's sad, but it's silly to shame young people for maybe not having having the opportunity to learn. Besides, many people view driving as a chore, regardless of age; vehicles are an appliance/tool to them.

We're all users on a truck enthusiast forum, of course most of us know how to drive manual transmissions because we are enthusiasts. The average driver is not, and that's okay! Regardless of their age.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
We're all users on a truck enthusiast forum, of course most of us know how to drive manual transmissions because we are enthusiasts. The average driver is not, and that's okay! Regardless of their age.
I just borrowed a buddy's dual-axle flat trailer to move my MIL, he tows it with his '96 Ford F150 4x4 with a manual. Even as much as he likes manual transmissions (his old Corolla is manual too and his wife's Saabaru was) he acknowledged burning out clutches as a result of towing bulk material like gravel or sand.

When Dad is done with the last '95 Hardbody that I used to own before I bought the Frontier we're likely going to buy it back from him. Daughter is three now, hopefully I'll be able to teach her to drive on it so she learns stick on a vehicle that's moderately easy and fairly forgiving. I know it's not as safe in a collision as modern vehicles though, so no telling exactly what she'll end up driving on her own when she's old enough. I don't think truly 100% autonomous vehicles will be here even a decade from now, as much as they might be pleasurable on long boring road trips or on soul-crushing commutes.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My old man taught me to drive stick when I was 12. It was the first car I ever drove... 1974 Ford Pinto Stallion...

"Get you foot off that D&%N pedal! It isn't a footrest!"

:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
880 Posts
Born in 1990, learned to drive and did all of my road tests in a manual. Had dirt bikes growing up so it wasn't a new concept to me. Current daily driver is my '10 Pro-4x 6spd, it's been great! I'm really the only one left of all my friends who still drives a manual. I'll definitely test drive a new 3.8L 9spd, the crawl ratio is really good for a pickup and the reviews are pretty positive.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am sorry that I couldn't get a manual in my 2019 Frontier. I do have a manual in my 2019 Corvette and would not want it with an automatic tranny. Funny story. I took my drivers test in a buddies 1956 Thunderbird with a 3-speed manual IIRC. I was downshifting for engine braking and the examiner failed me for that procedure. He said I should have put in the clutch and used the brakes to approach a stop sign. What a jerk he was. I had been driving manual shift cars transporting a 16 person trolly up and down a very steep hill in Southern California behind a C5 Jeep at a country club when I was 15 and did not have a driver's license at the time. I guess the examiner thought that I was too confident? I don't think I would have wanted an automatic in my last race car?
Stalker XL with LS3 480.jpg

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I am sorry that I couldn't get a manual in my 2019 Frontier. I do have a manual in my 2019 Corvette and would not want it with an automatic tranny. Funny story. I took my drivers test in a buddies 1956 Thunderbird with a 3-speed manual IIRC. I was downshifting for engine braking and the examiner failed me for that procedure. He said I should have put in the clutch and used the brakes to approach a stop sign. What a jerk he was. I had been driving manual shift cars transporting a 16 person trolly up and down a very steep hill in Southern California behind a C5 Jeep at a country club when I was 15 and did not have a driver's license at the time. I guess the examiner thought that I was too confident? I don't think I would have wanted an automatic in my last race car?
Unless I miss my guess, that is a Caterham. Nice toy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Pretty close guess. Actually, it is an American made Stalker XL that weighs 1850 pounds powered by a 495 horsepower LS3/480 with about 465 lb-ft of torque. I was autocrossing it and taking it on hunts for Dodge Hellcats. I say that because I met up with a Hellcat at a light out in the countryside and we both knew when he pulled over next to me what was going to happen when the light changed. His 707hp and about 4200 pounds was no match for my 495hp with only 1850 pounds of weight. I launched in 2nd gear so as to not spin my tires too much and creamed him coming out of the "hole". At the next light, he said, "What do you HAVE in that thing?" I told him that it was just an "underpowered" LS3/480, hehehehe. Below is my current toy that I don't race. Just use it to tool around on beautiful days.

Funny but my wife doesn't like riding in the Vette and never rode in my race cars. She loves riding in the Frontier and likes the seat comfort and the seat height looking over the road. It is the vehicle I take when we don't take her car.

20201016_074830.jpg

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Pretty close guess. Actually, it is an American made Stalker XL that weighs 1850 pounds powered by a 495 horsepower LS3/480 with about 465 lb-ft of torque. I was autocrossing it and taking it on hunts for Dodge Hellcats. I say that because I met up with a Hellcat at a light out in the countryside and we both knew when he pulled over next to me what was going to happen when the light changed. His 707hp and about 4200 pounds was no match for my 495hp with only 1850 pounds of weight. I launched in 2nd gear so as to not spin my tires too much and creamed him coming out of the "hole". At the next light, he said, "What do you HAVE in that thing?" I told him that it was just an "underpowered" LS3/480, hehehehe. Below is my current toy that I don't race. Just use it to tool around on beautiful days.

Funny but my wife doesn't like riding in the Vette and never rode in my race cars. She loves riding in the Frontier and likes the seat comfort and the seat height looking over the road. It is the vehicle I take when we don't take her car.
Hoooooah. 1850# eh? Well, that is most certainly an entertaining power / weight ratio, must be a complete blast. That Vette's pretty too. Red's not my style but to each his own, and it's your car, not mine, so drive it like you stole it. Except for a 96 Grand Sport or an original 405HP ZR1, that's my favorite Vette generation, right there. Unless it were a split-window, and they're outta my universe in price range now. Maybe some day. Wife wants to travel though, so probably not, will most likely be slimming down on toys, not adding more.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ryan, The wicked thing about the Stalker and it predecessors was that none of them had traction control and were all rear wheel driven. It was really easy to steer them with the use of throttle and sliding the rear ends around to defeat understeer. Friends and acquaintances of mine who have similar powered cars are turning down the torque in order to hook up better on different road surfaces with their racing slicks. My Stalker XL could spin the tires in about 4 out of the 6 speeds in the gearbox. Since this is a Frontier Forum, I should mention how enjoyable the Fronty is. It has some torque characteristics that could get me in trouble on the OEM tires in the rain but having read other threads and occasionally sticking my foot in the properly broken in V6, I have realized that I need to walk a bit lighter in certain traction scenarios.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Ryan, The wicked thing about the Stalker and it predecessors was that none of them had traction control and were all rear wheel driven. It was really easy to steer them with the use of throttle and sliding the rear ends around to defeat understeer. Friends and acquaintances of mine who have similar powered cars are turning down the torque in order to hook up better on different road surfaces with their racing slicks. My Stalker XL could spin the tires in about 4 out of the 6 speeds in the gearbox. Since this is a Frontier Forum, I should mention how enjoyable the Fronty is. It has some torque characteristics that could get me in trouble on the OEM tires in the rain but having read other threads and occasionally sticking my foot in the properly broken in V6, I have realized that I need to walk a bit lighter in certain traction scenarios.
ROFL yeah don't we all. Whackin that skinny pedal too hard will for sure get things moving, and not always in the intended direction. I had an 83 Camaro that I completely re-engineered the suspension, for road-course running. It had nowhere near the engine that you've got, but after years of parts swapping and welding and dialing-in, it could four-wheel drift and you could steer it basically with the throttle after setting your initial bite angle w/ the steering wheel. Man, that was one fun car, terrorized many passenger's riding in, and many street cars riding up against, through the twisties. Once the road straightened, they were gone, but my grin still lingered. Good times.
Not sure I'd still have the reflexes to pull those stunts again, but the Frontier's not bad for a truck, the short-wheelbase CC carries enough of it's weight on the tail that it doesn't want to snap-steer ala 1980s Porsche 911 turbos. And try to take a Camaro or 911 on any of the back roads & off-roads we can grind through. Every tool's got its place and its use.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
I'm in my 50s and an automatic guy all the way, but I am a stickler for always using the park brake :)

Reactions: HeavyDuty

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I'm in my 50s and an automatic guy all the way, but I am a stickler for always using the park brake :)
I'm lazy about the parking brake. Most of the time I don't use it actually. I do use it when parking on a grade, when dealing with loading/unloading the bed where any motion of the truck could be problematic, or when a trailer is attached or being coupled/decoupled. Though I discovered when borrowing my buddy's trailer that I needed to release the parking brake to get enough play in the connection to seat-down the tongue-coupler while the trailer wheels were chocked.

With parking on slopes I turn the steering the direction that would let the truck roll the least dangerously if it were to somehow roll, and then set the parking brake.

Part of the reason I don't use it much is I find I need to pull it hard enough to make it actually set that my wife has trouble releasing it. She ends up having to pull on it with her right hand and smack the button with her left while yanking to make it let go.

221 - 240 of 350 Posts